Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
K Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
K Williams's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to K Williams
Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?

Does installing a hard/solid folding tonneau cover prevent the tailgate from opening? If it will, which model is best? I'm trying to come up with a way to securly store my tools, fishing, and hunting gear in the bed of my truck.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Resqu2 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Rick
Resqu2's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think any will keep the tail gate from opening, tagging this thread cause I'm also looking for a nice cover and can't decide on what to go with.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
I had been looking for a folding tonneau cover. I couldn't make up my mind on which one to go with. I ended up buying an Undercover Flex. It has the look and feel of a high quality piece and does not get in the way of the tailgate opening and closing. I think it looks great as well. I'm very pleased with the cover; wish I would have bought it years ago.

If I had any complaint it's that the installation instructions were not very clear. It's not like installing one is rocket science though. I'm now in the process of buying a Dynolock tailgate lock. It won't be secure enough to store valubles but I'm thinking it will be good enough to be able to walk away from the truck long enough to be able to grab a bite to eat if I were on a road trip.

I spent more time than I should have making sure the fit was perfect. The result is the top seems to be very water tight. Not sure how it would be with directed high pressure water like in a carwash but we've had several major storms around here with sideways rain and the bed has stayed bone dry. Good luck with whatever you end up buying.

Can't say enought good things about the Undercover Flex.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Citizen Member
chunt5 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired
Name: chuck
chunt5's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased a solid Undercover tonneau. It locks and when locked prevents the tailgate from opening. The cover looks and fits good. It only weighs 58 lbs and can be removed in about 5 minutes. It even comes with brackets to hang it in your garage.
It is not completely water tight. There is small gaps beside the front hinges. The gaps can be corrected with a little weather stripping. The only problem is that I have experienced an increase in wind noise on the freeway. The wind noise improves the longer the truck in the sun. I am not sure what is causing it or if it will get better with time.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunt5 View Post
I purchased a solid Undercover tonneau. It locks and when locked prevents the tailgate from opening. The cover looks and fits good. It only weighs 58 lbs and can be removed in about 5 minutes. It even comes with brackets to hang it in your garage.
It is not completely water tight. There is small gaps beside the front hinges. The gaps can be corrected with a little weather stripping. .
This ^^
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
CKTACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Caleb
CKTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover Flex

Go with the Undercover Flex. It has literally been raining since I put mine on and I've had only a small bead of water in the bed. I got mine through truckaddons.com for a good price and installed it myself in about an hour. Instructions are horrible, though.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Wiseguyfish is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
Wiseguyfish's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the Bak Flip cover to my taco about 4 years ago. I like it overall, but it does have some flaws. Firstly, it doesnt lock the tailgate. I had to buy a lock for my tailgate separately. With the tailgate locked, the cover cannot be opened.

The flaws are as follows. Each panel is disengaged from the bed rail by pulling cords on each side. Those cords are channeled through aluminum guides that are held on my double sided stick tape. After some time under the sun, they all started to fall off.

Also, the cables were held in each side with a crimp. So those eventually failed.

Lastly, the last panel eventually stopped engaging the bedrail, and I have to smash it with my elbow to make it hold. It does hide & lock your stuff away back there, but failing as it has after 4 years isnt a sturdy product in my book.

Below is a link to this cover.

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/0...a_installation
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the bakflip G2 but I haven't one single problem with it. I have the locking gate and when the top is closed you can't get into it. Plus, I love the look of it!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
Doc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc4216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Doc4216's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the back of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?-uploadfromtaptalk1351896909183.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my Undercover tonneau cover on my DCLB. I know it's not a folding but it's another option.

It has two locks on the top. You can twist lock them close(people still could get in), and you can use the key to lock the twist lock from moving(no one can get in). It folds down just over the sides and the tailgate of the truck. So when it's down the tailgate won't budge. The tie downs don't stick out so you can use them to secure things under the tonneau cover when it's closed.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?-tonneau-cover1.jpg   Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?-tonneau-cover2.jpg   Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?-tonneau-cover3.jpg   Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?-tonneau-cover4.jpg   Hard Folding Tonneau Covers?-tonneau-cover5.jpg