Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cleaning Tone Rings?

Old 07-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Dalmatian is on a distinguished road
Dalmatian's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning Tone Rings?

Is it possible to clean the front tone rings on an '05 Prerunner without disassembling the brakes? I ask because I had an ABS light come on, so I replaced the seemingly faulty sensor (it was fairly greasy) and the light is still on. I recently had a shop replace a bad wheel bearing so I'm thinking a greasy tone ring is the cause of my ABS problems.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
just pull the sensor and jab a q tip in the hole and spin the tire. It might take a dozen q tips but it will clean out.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatian View Post
Is it possible to clean the front tone rings on an '05 Prerunner without disassembling the brakes? I ask because I had an ABS light come on, so I replaced the seemingly faulty sensor (it was fairly greasy) and the light is still on. I recently had a shop replace a bad wheel bearing so I'm thinking a greasy tone ring is the cause of my ABS problems.

Thanks
Like stated above you could remove the sensor and clean out the inside. But I highly doubt that dirt is causing your abs light to be on. You need to have the code scanned to determine what is causing the problem. Otherwise you are just shooting in the dark to correct the problem.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
My tone rings were covered with grease and no issues.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can check the codes your self. Run a jumper wire to these terminals. Count the blinks. Then you have your code(s). i.e. 5 blinks followed by 6 blinks would be code 56.

Here's the list of codes.

Good luck!!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Sorry I wasn't clear. I had it scanned and the mechanic told me left front ABS sensor. I replaced it but the light is still there, which is why I was thinking maybe grease from the bearing caused the fault.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) & Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I had it scanned and the mechanic told me left front ABS sensor. I replaced it but the light is still there, which is why I was thinking maybe grease from the bearing caused the fault.
Did they clear the code after you replaced and cleaned parts or just tell you what the trouble code was?

It may be as simple as that.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

Quote:
It's also possible that the sensor was not the problem. You could have an open wire or shorted circuit.

I would get the code cleared and then if it comes back you should check the wires to be sure they are ok.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
They are reactance sensors grease has no effect.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
They are reactance sensors grease has no effect.
reactance: The resistance to the flow of alternating current due to inductance.

What you mean is they are inductive sensors. They detect the metal nipples on the Tone Ring which causes a current to be created in the circuit. Grease and oils do not effect their operation.

Capacitive switches on the other hand can and usually are effected by grease, oils etc...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
libagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to all

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
Probably they used a bad quality bearing, and it is not abs ready, so it is giving you this problem....
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
reactance: The resistance to the flow of alternating current due to inductance.

What you mean is they are inductive sensors. They detect the metal nipples on the Tone Ring which causes a current to be created in the circuit. Grease and oils do not effect their operation.

Capacitive switches on the other hand can and usually are effected by grease, oils etc...
Sorry reluctance. But never mind they can be covered with grease and still work fine.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Dealer said it wasn't the bearing; it's the ABS control module, and they want to charge $2,400 in parts alone to fix it. I'm not buying it (figuratively or literally).
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dealer said it wasn't the bearing; it's the ABS control module, and they want to charge $2,400 in parts alone to fix it. I'm not buying it (figuratively or literally).
Wow. Eh, you don't need it anyway. I disconnected my ABS several years ago, but I also prefer to drive myself instead of letting the ECU do it.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
The only code the truck threw was code 32: left front wheel sensor.