1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fitting OTRATTW Contura V/Carling in stock switch location

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BBYE V8, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    BBYE V8

BBYE V8 [OP] Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    This is just a write up of the physical installation (not the wiring) of OTTRATTW switches in the factory switch locations to the left of the steering wheel on a second generation Tacoma. For installing switches in the center stack (below the HVAC controls), or other locations try these threads:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/229562-help-getting-otrattw-switched-fit-2012-taco.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/149014-rocker-paddle-switch-sources.html

For wiring how to, see some of the links at the bottom of this post.

I bought the Carling switch bodies with Contura V Laser Etched Rockers in amber with red indicator lights. The Carling switches are a tad larger than the stock switches so a little modification to your dashboard is required. Most of this install is pretty straight forward with parts of the process posted in various threads around the site. I thought I'd put in all together in one write up since the new Contura V Laser switches have become popular. The only step that is unique to this write up is where I remove a section of the dashboard near the end of the write up. But I hope you find ALL of this useful. Click on thumbnail pictures to see larger photos.

Removing the lower dash is necessary if you want to replace factory switches (or the blanks) in the top bank. This isn't necessary for the lower bank, but it may make things easier.

To remove the lower dash: First remove the driver side door sill. Pry it straight up starting at the front and working your way back. The red circles note where the clips are located:

[​IMG]

Next remove the dead pedal. Like the door sill, it simply pulls straight off:

[​IMG]

In the photo above you will see a black plastic "nut" on a threaded stud; you need to spin that nut off to get the kick panel off. After that plastic "nut" is off pry the kick panel straight back; towards the rear bumper:

[​IMG]

A few things should be removed from the lower dash panel before you take it off. The hood release lever can be removed by sliding it forward to unclip it, then turned so it can be pushed back through its hole.

[​IMG]

The tire pressure reset button can stay on the panel, but pull the wire harness off to make life easier. The lock tab for the harness is on top, here it is pulled out:

[​IMG]

Remove the little storage compartment/fuse panel door on the left side of the panel by opening it and pulling up & out.

[​IMG]

Once this storage compartment is off you can get your fingers up and behind any switches or switch blanks you have and push them out of the panel.

The side mirror control switch (if you have one) can also remain in the panel but again, pull the wire harness by pushing down the lock tab on top and pull. As viewed from the floor, looking straight up through the hole where the storage compartment was:

[​IMG]

Remove the bolt in the lower left corner of the panel, it was exposed when you removed the kick panel:

[​IMG]

Pull the trim around the emergency brake (or coin tray if you have an auto) in the lower right corner of the panel:

[​IMG]

Just below that coin tray/emergency brake is a trim piece that has a bolt behind it. Pry the trim off from the top and remove the bolt:

[​IMG]

The lower panel can now be pulled off. Pry around the edges, get your fingers behind it and pull straight back. But not too far, there is still a wire harness clamp that needs to be pried off with a screwdriver:

[​IMG]

Once this lower dash panel is off you can easily remove the upper bank switches or blanks. Simple slide a flat blade screw driver up behind the blanks and pry/push them forward & out. The photo below is taken from the floor looking straight up, you can see the bottom of my blanks and one being pried out:

[​IMG]

With all the blanks or switches out you can now see what needs to be trimmed off to make room for the Carling switch bodies. You can use a razor, a dremel, or a file. I used a file because I felt the other methods removed too much material too fast. That makes for small errors to become big mistakes in a hurry. I did not want to look at a scar on my dashboard for the next few years and kick myself for being impatient. I'm sure you don't want that either, so whatever you use....BE CAREFUL AND DELIBERATE with every move. I used a rough file, a good compromise between removing a lot of plastic while still being easy to control:

[​IMG]

Below you will see how much plastic I removed in about 5 minutes from the leftmost edge of the leftmost hole. As you file, dremel or cut, keep the edge as straight as possible. Don't remove any plastic from the top or bottom edges of the holes; keeping those edges perfectly new and straight will keep the new switches straight when you slide them in:

[​IMG]

Once you've got some plastic removed from both edges of a hole test fit the new switch. If the hole is still too small, remove more plastic from the side edges. Keep them straight, keep them even, and test fit often so you don't remove too much plastic and end up with a loose fitting switch. The first one takes the longest, and once you know how much plastic needs to be removed the rest will go quicker. Here's my first hole fully trimmed:

[​IMG]

If you are going to put switches in the lower bank (the 3 holes in the lower dash panel) they will need to be trimmed as well but can be done outside the truck if you have removed it. You may even have to do some trimming if you are simply moving a factory switch from one hole to another; seems like Toyota only wanted certain switches in certain places.

My particular switches have 5 pins each. With 4 switches that's 20 wires back there and I found it VERY cramped behind the upper bank. To facilitate wiring, I went an extra step and cut off a section of plastic dashboard that is between the upper and lower banks. This also makes it a great deal easier to remove the tight fitting OTRATTW switches by pushing them from behind by hand instead of screwdriver. It may seem intimidating to cut off a section of your dashboard, but once everything is put back together you will never notice. Below is a picture taken from the floor, looking straight up at the section to cut off; it's directly above the fuse panel:

[​IMG]

To cut this thick plastic without the mess and vibrations of a dremel, I used a disposable razor heated to the point of glowing. I suggest disposable because melted plastic will stick to the blade and is difficult to remove; throwing it away is much easier:

[​IMG]

Use eye protection and heat resistant gloves. Heat the blade outside the of the truck. I used a mapp gas torch, but there are many other sources of heat you could use. Melted plastic will stick to the blade, and when you go to reheat the blade that plastic will light on fire. Make certain that fire is out before bringing the blade back into the cab for more cutting. Sounds obvious, but in bright daylight it is not always easy to see a flame. Below is the cutting in progress:

[​IMG]

And finished:

[​IMG]

These cuts will never be seen so don't worry about having straight cuts, just worry about being safe. You are playing with fire AND knives! :eek:

And finished as viewed through the upper bank switch holes:

[​IMG]

Wiring:
    This is something I have purposely not covered in this writeup. How you run your wiring depends on what you are doing, it's not universal and I have no business telling you how it should be done. What I can tell you is to use search, read the wiring diagrams in the factory service manual, post a new thread in the Lighting or Technical Chat forums and READ! And if you still don't fully understand what to do....READ MORE! Please don't blindly do what someone on the internet tells you to do with your wiring; fully understand why someone is telling you to do something. Be sure to follow diagram supplied with your switches, they are not all the same, even between different Carling switches. Some good info to get you started:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/6525-diy-wiring-after-market-lights.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/103969-electronics-basics-reference.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/li...gen-7-hid-lights-attn-proforce-rich91710.html

warehouse32 and charcharias like this.
  2. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    BBYE V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    And the finished project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lpfe42 and charcharias like this.
  3. Jul 23, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Nice writeup! I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing except I'd do Fog Lights, Driving Lights and either Zombie or Sasquatch Lights (possibly rear lights to come later on).

4. Jul 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    Sharp. Well played, sir!

5. Jul 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    +1 for you, i know a lot of people are going to be printing this and heading out to the driveway.

thanks for taking the time to write it up.

6. Jul 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    BBYE V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    Thanks guys. I think these will be a very popular switch given how many I've seen and how little time they've been available. Especially the novelty ones. I think someone needs to set up a group buy.

You can't help but like a switch like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    HedgehogOutdoors

HedgehogOutdoors Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '98 4runner SR5
    May I ask where the OTRATTW switches are made? I want to keep my 4runner as un-Chinese as possible, so if I have to buy Whelen switches to do so, so be it. But I LOVE the looks of the OTRATTW switches!

8. Jan 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    OTRATTW

OTRATTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Cupertino
    American Company but manufactured in Mexico.

9. Jan 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    Awesome job, cheers

10. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    OTRATTW

OTRATTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Cupertino

Working on it.

11. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Woot! Good to see you on here man!

12. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Updating my switches to OTTRATTW switches when my LED bar comes in. replacing factory fog like OP did too. Always bothered me that the switch was not lit unless the lights were on. Kind of like the 4x4 switch except that was never lit. (already did that mod)

13. Mar 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    opy5656

opy5656 Member

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4x4 off road
    Flowmaster dual exhaust, BHLM, Sockmonkey decals, 20% tint, Grillcraft grille, MetalMiller emblems, jumpers white/amber DTRL mod, jumpers interior LEDs,
    I would really like to get an OTRATTW zombie switch for an upcoming mod I have in mind, but what should I do when my dashboard looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The only thing I can think of is maybe a DPDT switch to replace my fogs?

14. Mar 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    I bought the Carling 3 switch mount and installed it in my shifter bezel

image.jpg

15. Mar 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    opy5656

opy5656 Member

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma 4x4 off road
    Flowmaster dual exhaust, BHLM, Sockmonkey decals, 20% tint, Grillcraft grille, MetalMiller emblems, jumpers white/amber DTRL mod, jumpers interior LEDs,
    I have a 6-speed manual, so I have 2 cup holders there. I was also looking into possibly down by the cig lighter area. I do have 2 blanks there, but they appear to be much smaller.

16. Mar 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Could also use the sunglass holder overhead. Someone on here put like 6 switches up there.

100_0435_6c3bf9ce0ff1e7a28e4c0bf728a3a428acb9eb3c.jpg

17. Mar 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited Double Cab 4X4
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    Sub for when I install my switches

18. Mar 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It was a TRD Off Road so there weren't any extra spaces. I believe that is Kevin's truck from ATO if I'm not mistaken. It's a BA truck :cool:

19. Mar 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    Kevin doesnt have the truck any more and his was a Sport, not an Offroad

20. Mar 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    Hoozel

Hoozel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    very good writeup !!!

i did mine as well thanks to you. one question, i replaced the factory Fog Light switch with a lit Contura that has the on indicator as well. I got all of the other switches to light up when switched on.... but the factory fog lights won't. I didnt replace any wiring from the factory fog switch, just added what was needed for dash dimmer etc. Wired it the same as all the other switches, it just wont light up when on. Lights up fine with dash lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top