Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Using 2" Lifting Blocks to Raise Rear 2"

Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
parfleet is on a distinguished road
Army: Chief Warrant Officer, CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
Name: Rex
parfleet's Tacoma Gallery
Using 2" Lifting Blocks to Raise Rear 2"

I installed Rancho Quick Lift Struts to the front of my 05 Tacoma PreRunner about a month ago. At the same time, I installed Rancho heavy duty shocks to the rear. I knew that the Quick Lift Struts could add up to 2 1/2 inches to the front. I was hoping that the heavy duty Rancho heavy rear shocks would add a couple of inches. The end result is that the front of my truck is 2 1/4 inches higher than the rear. I called the Rancho Tech Line and complained. I was told to give it about a month to settle on the front. Well, it's still 2 1/4 inches higher on the front. I was thinking about adding 2 inch block kit to the rear to get it to look somewhat normal. I have read that this is the least desirable of methods to raise the rear 2 inches but it is the cheapest. Has anyone raised the rear of their Tacoma 2 inches using this method and was there any negative consequences? I have left a message with Rancho over the weekend to help me resolve this issue once and for all or I'll get some Monroe Quick Struts, which are OEM, just to level off my truck. Any ideas?
I'm going back to the dealership this morning to get the front end aligned for a second time. The chamber is still not right.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
HAWAIIAN
808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed808TacoMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Cyber Transport Systems
Name: Lawson
808TacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleet View Post
I installed Rancho Quick Lift Struts to the front of my 05 Tacoma PreRunner about a month ago. At the same time, I installed Rancho heavy duty shocks to the rear. I knew that the Quick Lift Struts could add up to 2 1/2 inches to the front. I was hoping that the heavy duty Rancho heavy rear shocks would add a couple of inches. The end result is that the front of my truck is 2 1/4 inches higher than the rear. I called the Rancho Tech Line and complained. I was told to give it about a month to settle on the front. Well, it's still 2 1/4 inches higher on the front. I was thinking about adding 2 inch block kit to the rear to get it to look somewhat normal. I have read that this is the least desirable of methods to raise the rear 2 inches but it is the cheapest. Has anyone raised the rear of their Tacoma 2 inches using this method and was there any negative consequences? I have left a message with Rancho over the weekend to help me resolve this issue once and for all or I'll get some Monroe Quick Struts, which are OEM, just to level off my truck. Any ideas?
I'm going back to the dealership this morning to get the front end aligned for a second time. The chamber is still not right.
Rear shocks dont give you lift. You should look into getting a 2" Add a Leaf rather than the block. Toytec has them
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah rear shocks are only there to dampen yhe rear movements. The rear is lifted/supported by the rear leaf pack. If anything I'd go with an aal. It's cheap and gives a better ride than blocks
Old 07-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
x3
Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
X4
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
So you called Rancho to complain since you did not do your homework and didn't buy what was needed to level your truck?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The general consensus is to stay away from blocks. However, I went with a 1 1/2" AAL on mine and still wanted a little more lift so I added a 1 1/2" Block a couple of weeks ago and I don't have any issues. I think as long as you stay at a 2" or smaller block you will be fine. The downside of running blocks is that it can cause issues with axle wrap and it can cause your leafs to wear out sooner. I don't have any issues with wrap and my leafs have 152,000 miles on them, so I don't think I can do much else to them. The positive side of adding a block is that it doesn't change the ride of the truck and it's cheap and easy to install. Let me add that if you are going this route you will want to make sure your shocks are long enough to handle the increased height.