Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED BULBS???

Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Super Jesus
tacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoman00's Tacoma Gallery
LED BULBS???

So ive been doing some research, because i have some EBAY CCFL halo ring projectors, (Yes i know blah blah they suck blah) anyways, when i bought them about a year ago, i was not at all satisfied with low beam light output, (high beam output was great) so i swapped all the bulbs for the silverstar by sylvania. These were plenty bright, but i burn through them faster than i change my underwear.. so im looking for an alternative.. has anyone ever tried LED bulbs in their headlights? i know they make them, but if so.. how bright are they? and whats their lifetime? thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Led's are going to be no where equivalent to halogen output.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Super Jesus
tacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dang that really sucks. i really wanna do HID but i have the halo projectors and the hi lo beams have 2 different housings, plus the fogs that would mean i would have to buy 3 sets of HID kits.. any way i can get around that? like buy 4 bulbs that can run off of 2 ballasts for my 2 different housings?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
1 ballast per bulb.. Sucks but that's how it works.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Super Jesus

geez... DDM is okay for HIDs? i know everyone goes to slimcubby but i can get 1 set for 45 bucks from ddm..
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I have DDM fog Hid's and they work just fine.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Use hids for your low beams. High beams use halogen. When you need high beams you want them instant on not waiting for them to warm up.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Super Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Use hids for your low beams. High beams use halogen. When you need high beams you want them instant on not waiting for them to warm up.
Thats a great idea!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Better yet, get a real projector, retrofit it to your original headlights, and use one set of bulbs and ballasts for highs and lows. The light output from your halo lights is gonna be horrible. Seen lots of beam pics of HID converted ebay chicom halo headlights.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
LEDs: great for looks. actual light output will suck when used in your headlights

Silverstar or any xenonbulb:.brighter, but light output is sacrificed. They also tend to require a higher wattage.

HIDs: do it right,get the proper HID projector and retrofit.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Super Jesus

id love to do a retrofit on my stock headlights but it looks very hard and im not into drilling holes into my headlights and stuff.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Why not just use halogens? Mine work great.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman00 View Post
id love to do a retrofit on my stock headlights but it looks very hard and im not into drilling holes into my headlights and stuff.
get minis like i have, no drilling
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Super Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxRome View Post
get minis like i have, no drilling
Really ? No drilling into stock housing? got a thread link? how does it fit then? how hard is it to do with not much experience... sorry for all the questions
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
dunwur is on a distinguished road
dunwur's Tacoma Gallery
I CHANGED MINE TO THE NIGHTHAWK PLATINUM . Same thing , brights are great but I can only see about 20 yrds . in front of me with the low beams on . I'm going to change back to the originals and take the loss . GE advertize that the nighthawk platinums give you 90% more light ..... Pure BULL CRAP .........
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Exactly what I did. I rarely use my highbeams, and I drove at all hours of the night.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman00 View Post
Really ? No drilling into stock housing? got a thread link? how does it fit then? how hard is it to do with not much experience... sorry for all the questions
after i bought the projectors, i got the relay,(15 bucks) and just re used the ballast i had and got new bulbs

lemme find the link for the write up
Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Houston's Swamp Rat

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
i used this but same prinicple for the 05+

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...o-mini-h1.html