Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spare Tire

Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Buy a magnifying glass for God's sake you old Coot.
Steve, are you really 3 years old? Wow.....what do diapers cost these days????
Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
I feel like if I got a flat tire the nearest Toyota Dealership gets torched.
AAA ... pays for itself the 1st time. Works if you are a passenger in your buddy's truck as well. Food for thought.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
AAA ... pays for itself the 1st time. Works if you are a passenger in your buddy's truck as well. Food for thought.
I agree...all the women in my family have it.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Ouch ... ... it didn't really hurt
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ouch ... ... it didn't really hurt
heh heh heh....I really didn't mean it to be kidding you....my wife and girls do have AAA.....I just can't afford more, so I play the schmuck. They own me and everything I have or earn...EXCEPT my truck.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I'm well into my 30's, and since I was 16 years old my mom has renewed a AAA subscription for me every year for Christmas...I guess it gives her piece of mind, and I'm not certainly not going to turn it down (although I have mentioned that it is not necessary she renew every year). I've only ever used the service twice in all the years I've had it...and never for a flat tire or anything I can take car of myself...but I will admit that when in a jam, it can be hard to put a dollar amount on how much the service is worth.

It is potentially more valuable to person who doesn't know how to even change a flat? Yes, sure it is, and perhaps the women in your family are those types of people (I don't know?), but that doesn't mean even the manliest of us couldn't find ourselves in situations the service would be valuable.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #28

Quote:
heh heh heh....I really didn't mean it to be kidding you....my wife and girls do have AAA.....I just can't afford more, so I play the schmuck. They own me and everything I have or earn...EXCEPT my truck.
I'm thick skinned ... I wouldn't have tossed it out there without expecting some sort of reply. Now that I think about it this would make for an interesting poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintDrinkingPete View Post
It is potentially more valuable to person who doesn't know how to even change a flat? Yes, sure it is, and perhaps the women in your family are those types of people (I don't know?), but that doesn't mean even the manliest of us couldn't find ourselves in situations the service would be valuable.
As I read between the lines am I sensing the feminine side of y'all coming out ... ... not that there's anything wrong with that ...
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm thick skinned ... I wouldn't have tossed it out there without expecting some sort of reply. Now that I think about it this would make for an interesting poll.
It would actually... I'm curious as to just how accurate the results would be!

Quote:
As I read between the lines am I sensing the feminine side of y'all coming out ... ... not that there's anything wrong with that ...

Yeah, I'm comfortable with who I am...

Seriously though, I've had male friends who should be ashamed of their knowledge of the vehicle they drive, and probably wouldn't know where to begin if they got a flat...I've also had female friends who could probably change flat in half the time I could. None the less, even if you'll never need them to change a flat tire, a AAA membership card shouldn't have to replace your man card (even if sometimes it may).
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seriously though, I've had male friends who should be ashamed of their knowledge of the vehicle they drive, and probably wouldn't know where to begin if they got a flat...I've also had female friends who could probably change flat in half the time I could. None the less, even if you'll never need them to change a flat tire, a AAA membership card shouldn't have to replace your man card (even if sometimes it may).
I used to have a coworker a few years back who was in his late 20's. For whatever reason we were discussing vehicles one day and he let me know that his old man used to always want him to come out to the garage to learn whenever pops was working on their cars. Said he always blew him off to play video games instead and now he regrets that he didn't do it because he's now the dad and doesn't know dick about fixing his own stuff. Probably should've kept that secret to himself.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #31
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like the engineer that designed the spare tire "wench" went further sicko and cheapened it. A chain?! Good grief.......I prefer my stainless cable.
Quote:
Great! So now that I've owned 4 Toyota trucks and have mastered getting the spare down using the mount they've employed for years, I have to learn a new (probably idiotic) mechanism! Hooray!
I hate to pop you guys bubble, but they were using a chain for the spare winch long before they ever used a cable. I know my 1980 Toyota had a chain and older ones did also I'm quite sure.

I prefer a chain. It will last ten times as long as a wimpy little cable and requires less maintenance.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #32
Fury is on a distinguished road
Fury's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all.

Instead of flipping your spare, just rotate it so the valve faces the back of the truck. You can then easily check and fill the spare.

Cheers
Ray.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #33
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I cranked my lift handle until it sounded like it had reached it's limit and then there was a "clicking" sound which I assume meant I had tightened it to the point it was slipping to prevent me from stretching or breaking the cable. Tire seems to be very tight and snug. I run a stainless braided air line to mine so I can easily check and fill the pressure.
Hmm...is that stainless braided air line you ran something that can be purchased as a complete piece, or did you put it together from components?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #34
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Instead of flipping your spare, just rotate it so the valve faces the back of the truck. You can then easily check and fill the spare.

Cheers
Ray.
Ray, this makes it even easier! (I put a little of my feminine side in the pics!)
Attached Thumbnails
Spare Tire-p2200008.jpg   Spare Tire-p2200009.jpg   Spare Tire-p2200007.jpg   Spare Tire-g246509.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #35
Tuctaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Tuctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
I hate to pop you guys bubble, but they were using a chain for the spare winch long before they ever used a cable. I know my 1980 Toyota had a chain and older ones did also I'm quite sure.

I prefer a chain. It will last ten times as long as a wimpy little cable and requires less maintenance.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #36
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
I flipped mine over when I put the pizza cutter under the bed. Much easier to fill with air
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
IMO chain is a step backward. Chain is not damage-tolerant. Break a single link and the chain fails. A braided cable can suffer several broken strands before disconnecting.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Ray, this makes it even easier! (I put a little of my feminine side in the pics!)
I am pleased to see that y'all have come realize it's not a bad thing ... ... just don't over do it.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
IMO chain is a step backward. Chain is not damage-tolerant. Break a single link and the chain fails. A braided cable can suffer several broken strands before disconnecting.
Problems with the cable are many. They have had recalls for the cables for corrosion, breakage and the small crimped tip pulling off. It is pretty hard to damage a chain.

And those broken strands in a cable alone can jam the winch where you cannot get the spare out.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I just took my spare off. Less weight ......and I;m having a tire carrier built on my rear bumper....more weight