Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for winch for ARB bumper

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
Name: Chris
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for winch for ARB bumper

I want to get some feedback and some ideas on a winch for my Taco with ARB bumper. It is my DD so I don't need to go crazy since I only go offroading maybe once a month. I heard Warn is among the best. What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a warn m8000 took off the shitty steel rope and put on 3/8" viking synthetic and repacked it with a higher quality grease and taped and siliconed everything but the bottom drain off its awesome.

warn is the way to go for your truck either the m8000 or the 9000. with the arb i would suggest relocating the solenoid otherwise it will be sticking out of the front of the bumper. seeing as how the winch is so well protected and the solenoid is the first thing that will shit out most likely relocate it high in the engine bay. welding cable does the trick perfectly just silicon and dielectric grease everything to death and you should be golden.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol i used the steel rope twice and was like f this called thor and bought the line and all my recovery gear from him. i lost some length by going to 3/8 but, its strong as hell!

his vanbeast shackles are no joke either 64,000 wll! i went with his delrin rollers as well so i didn't mangle the new rope. i also went with the safety thimble and isolator from viking as well it looks nice and clean but, the safety thimble would be the first thing to get crunched. kinda sucks that arb didn't engineer any recovery points onto this bumper at all if they had i would have got the excel hook
Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
i bought a warn m8000 took off the shitty steel rope and put on 3/8" viking synthetic and repacked it with a higher quality grease and taped and siliconed everything but the bottom drain off its awesome.

warn is the way to go for your truck either the m8000 or the 9000. with the arb i would suggest relocating the solenoid otherwise it will be sticking out of the front of the bumper. seeing as how the winch is so well protected and the solenoid is the first thing that will shit out most likely relocate it high in the engine bay. welding cable does the trick perfectly just silicon and dielectric grease everything to death and you should be golden.
What kind of grease did you use?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #9

marine grease is way to stiff something else that works well and is very easy to find is valvoline ford-lincholn-mercury moly fortified grease. save your self the money and hassle finding aeroshell grease and go for that stuff. same results i spoke to like 5 warn engineers about this i had sort of a problem one that i caused that led me to take apart a brand new winch lol.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
marine grease is way to stiff something else that works well and is very easy to find is valvoline ford-lincholn-mercury moly fortified grease. save your self the money and hassle finding aeroshell grease and go for that stuff. same results i spoke to like 5 warn engineers about this i had sort of a problem one that i caused that led me to take apart a brand new winch lol.
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Quote:
no problem man.

if you call warn tech support they can send you a pdf of the exploded winch it was very helpful in reassembling the the whole package to make sure everything went back together the right way.
funny you mention that, I was just starting to look for a thread, or write up on a Warn 9.5xp. I will check with Warn on the PDF. Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
zzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shedzzchipster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zzchipster's Tacoma Gallery
i just installed a 9.5xp on my tacoma before my trip to the san juans in colorado in 2 weeks. cant say much about it other than it is real fast. got the remote. all works perfectly..
Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Quote:

Quote:
my truck is like your trucks little brother lol.

you will love it with the winch in there. what type of springs are you running btw when i added my winch it brought the front down a decent amount more than i thought it would.

if you have any rubbing issues now it will only get worse when adding the winch just food for thought.
Awesome!

I'm running OME 886s in the front so I think it should be able to handle the extra weight. Just curious: how much added weight are we talking about?

I'll probably be ordering one soon. Any recommendation on where to go? Military discount comes in handy for me.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
love my warn.

Who did you get it from?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #17

i bought mine local so idk search it out on google warn makes you buy from distributors iirc so check out vendors on tw and see if anyone has them.

weight if your thinking on the m8000 like i have with 100' of 1/4" steel rope around a 100 pounds total for the winch give or take. i went with synthetic and saved like what felt like a ton of weight maybe 40 or 50 pounds. that arb is a heavy bastard all by itself so synthetic is a really nice upgrade and those 886 coils will thank you lol
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
i bought mine local so idk search it out on google warn makes you buy from distributors iirc so check out vendors on tw and see if anyone has them.

weight if your thinking on the m8000 like i have with 100' of 1/4" steel rope around a 100 pounds total for the winch give or take. i went with synthetic and saved like what felt like a ton of weight maybe 40 or 50 pounds. that arb is a heavy bastard all by itself so synthetic is a really nice upgrade and those 886 coils will thank you lol
Nice, thanks a lot for the help. I will definitely keep all this in mind when shopping.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
If I can't get you out, neither can anyone else.
Darth Tater will become famous soon enoughDarth Tater will become famous soon enough
Air Force: MSgt, 22 yrs,
Name: Marlin
Darth Tater's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the ARB with the WARN 8000. I got mine from Four Wheel parts. I caught it on sale for 600, then they had free shipping to a local store. I went down there and picked it up. I love mine. I have only needed it once, but it came in handy. One of my wheeling buddies demolished the drivetrain in his RZR, and we winched it out of the hole it was in, and onto a trailer. Good times.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tater View Post
I am running the ARB with the WARN 8000. I got mine from Four Wheel parts. I caught it on sale for 600, then they had free shipping to a local store. I went down there and picked it up. I love mine. I have only needed it once, but it came in handy. One of my wheeling buddies demolished the drivetrain in his RZR, and we winched it out of the hole it was in, and onto a trailer. Good times.
Nice. Yea I don't expect to use mine a lot either but it is nice to have a backup plan. And my ARB is lonely...