Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Catch Can Install Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Cool.

I found this image in another thread:
Yeah most people use these for turbo charged, and other forced induction engines but i thouught why not for 20 bucks
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well checked the catch can after my drive down south and back(500 miles) and there was oil.
Dropped about half of the oil on accident but here is what i caught.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Your thread taught me a lot. I see the benefits of having a catch can. I'm going to get a high quality one and install it soon.

Yeah i was stoked to see how much it caught after just 500-600 miles. Was like a table spoon, but i dropped half before i could take the picture.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Danno 1948 will become famous soon enough
Marines: L/corpal
Name: Dan
Danno 1948's Tacoma Gallery
will this kind of stuff void your extended warranty.I would like to do it but dont want the warranty shot to Hell may need it someday
Old 08-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno 1948 View Post
will this kind of stuff void your extended warranty.I would like to do it but dont want the warranty shot to Hell may need it someday

My truck is way past warranty Haha but I don't think so, unless they fan prove that the faiure was directly caused by the catch can. You could also just remove it before you go in.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I am S/C. I catch about a 1/2 cup at an oil change. I have my catch can on the driver's side frame rail, behind the bumper. This makes for an easy drain, when doing an oil change.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Another benefit that I had read about is that burning that extra oil in the combustion process can cause premature failure of the catalytic converters. After tires, this will be the next thing on my mod list.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
Free Man
Hurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHurtin Albertan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Duck
Hurtin Albertan's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up, it's gonna help me when I get to that item on my to-do list
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #32

1/2 cup? Those super chargers Are crazy.

Just good benefits all the way around I guess!

Pretty cheap item. Iirc its 25 bucks of flea bay
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #33
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
I had emptied mine last week and wanted to track how much oil it would catch. This is what it had after 356 miles including a long 180 mile highway trip.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrubiu View Post
I had emptied mine last week and wanted to track how much oil it would catch. This is what it had after 356 miles including a long 180 mile highway trip.

I had something similar to that, before I spilled it and couldn't get a comparison shot. But yeah they catch a decent amount of oil
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #35
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP, is this the same can you bought? eGhey Round Catch Can . If so, does it seem to be decent quality? and can you tell me if it has the baffle inside the can between the 2 lines? Thanks

edit: Im trying to decide between the can mentioned and this eGhey Square Catch Can
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
Hey OP, is this the same can you bought? eGhey Round Catch Can . If so, does it seem to be decent quality? and can you tell me if it has the baffle inside the can between the 2 lines? Thanks

edit: Im trying to decide between the can mentioned and this eGhey Square Catch Can
Circular one is the one I have, doesn't have a baffle but I think I'm going to add one. I out some media to catch it on the inside. The quality is alright, but I would undo the top and use some caulking to make an air tight seal, bc mine had An air leak.

And the square one looks like the same thing just rectangular so It's up to you I guess
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Circular one is the one I have, doesn't have a baffle but I think I'm going to add one. I out some media to catch it on the inside. The quality is alright, but I would undo the top and use some caulking to make an air tight seal, bc mine had An air leak.

And the square one looks like the same thing just rectangular so It's up to you I guess
Cool, thanks! I saw another thread on this subject with pics of guys adding baffles but I cant find it
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #38
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up, I have had mine in for the last 9 months, and empty it when I do oil changes. It catches some nasty stuff. If you get one with a drain hole at the bottom or at the bottom on the side, get a new nipple and put some hose on it and put a inline valve on it and then run the line all the way down the fire wall and zip tie it to the frame. Leave some extra hose and tuck it into something down there, this way when you want to empty it you can just pull out the extra hose, stick it into a soda bottle or whatever and open the valve and let it sit for about 15 mins. Drains and you dont have to get dirty or get any tools. I will try to gran some pictures of it.

I have one on my Miata, and I dont have the drain valve on it, and it sucks the big one.

I also got the $20 or $30 ones off eBay, and they work just fine. I had to redo all the nipples and re-tap the holes on one of them, but it was worth it to not have to spend $150+ on a "high quality" aluminum can...

I think this is the one that I have V and it is nice, this is the one that I had to redo the nipples and tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
I am S/C. I catch about a 1/2 cup at an oil change. I have my catch can on the driver's side frame rail, behind the bumper. This makes for an easy drain, when doing an oil change.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #39
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
Somebody should add this to the 2nd Gen DIY thread if it is not already there or make it a sticky.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrubiu View Post
Somebody should add this to the 2nd Gen DIY thread if it is not already there or make it a sticky.
Maybe the cheap mods section

Products Discussed in this Thread