Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Catch Can Install Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #422
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
Drained my can for the first time after 2816 miles of use.

Yummmmy
Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #424
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
So you just toss that oil, or recycle it back into the engine? I actually need to do this mod since last night I replaced my injectors and I saw the intake had oil residue on it. What about the passenger side? Is that thing that sticks out of the valve cover also a pcv valve?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #427
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh7nm View Post
Anybody got the oil catch can installed with the TRD Supercharger? If so can you post pictures were to tie in.
Thanks
Pretty sure theres some on xru.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #428
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone share some comparison info between one of these cans from the GB and a cheaper can from ebay? The price difference is huge.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...oup-buy-3.html

Also looking at this one:

http://www.saikoumichi.com/micro_oil_catch_can_tank.htm
Old 06-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #429
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
Can someone share some comparison info between one of these cans from the GB and a cheaper can from ebay? The price difference is huge.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...oup-buy-3.html

Also looking at this one:

QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY

I Have the one from eBay... I mean sure it works, but if youre going to do it might as well do it right. When I first got my can, it was basically free, it had such a giant air leak that my truck would also die at idle!

And the quality isn't there either. Bottom of the can has a small oil leak, and if you hold one you wouldn't be to impressed either.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #430
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
I have the SM catch can and it has held up very well. Quality is A+ and no problems in 15k miles. I have it mounted to the back of the front bumper support, accessible from the wheel well. As stated above, if you are going to do it then do it right.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #431

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
I have an eBay 1 on my desk..... Connected fittings.... Put hose to mY mouth, blew on it, air leaks from the sight tube.... Debris inside the can, loose parts, just piss poor construction.

Look at the mounting options, filtering media, machining...... Well speaking from the stealth and ultimates in my hand..... The quality is so much better than the eBay's.

Having both types in ur hands...... EBay and the 42 DD makes it obvious. But once the buy is over u can others words and reviews into consideration also.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #432
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I have an eBay 1 on my desk..... Connected fittings.... Put hose to mY mouth, blew on it, air leaks from the sight tube.... Debris inside the can, loose parts, just piss poor construction.

Look at the mounting options, filtering media, machining...... Well speaking from the stealth and ultimates in my hand..... The quality is so much better than the eBay's.

Having both types in ur hands...... EBay and the 42 DD makes it obvious. But once the buy is over u can others words and reviews into consideration also.
Ok, taking ebay out of the equation. Compare the $145 (pre-GB cost) Stealth to the $60 price of this one?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #433

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, taking ebay out of the equation. Compare the $145 (pre-GB cost) Stealth to the $60 price of this one?

Hard to be thorough with out 1 in my hand and limited info on the site.

What kinda media in the micro?
And since ur choosing the more expensive of the stealths.... They have female npt bungs you can use many diff reducers right at the bung.....

The other one u have to use certain size of line and an inline reducer for some applications and this not only looks poor, I've seen someone here post about the reducers causing a problem.....its also noted in the 42 DD website.

U rally need to have em both in ur hands..... The 42dd is an awesome piece.

After 4grand in the blower, I just couldn't skimp on this and feel right about it.

The filtering media on the 42dd will not degrade and end up being recycled into ur intake manifold either. I dunno bout the scotch brite or sos pad ideas. But I'm not chancing it.

42dd has clients with these cans on airplanes even..... Build quality has to be top notch.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #434
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I would go with stage 1. A little bit more but much better of a price than $145. I don't see any difference considering the SM is welded air tight and I'm running enough hosing (and well below the level of the bypass) to negate any difference in filtering media.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #435
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I've gone through hell to make this ebay catch can of mine worth a shit. No baffles either, I jb welded one in.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #436
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of making my own, what about using an old propane bottle? Like either the fatman or the regular blue longer bottle? I was thinking of having my friend shoot it to relieve any gas in there, then drilling and tapping that hole. What sayeth all knowledgeable TW?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #437
DesertRatliff will become famous soon enoughDesertRatliff will become famous soon enough

DesertRatliff's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you 2nd gen fellas don't feel this is a hijack, but I can't find any info on this for first gens.

I'd like to put in a PCV catch can, but on the 3.4L, there's also a vent on the rear driver's side valve cover that's routed to the intake tube just in front of the throttle body. I noticed lots of oil in the intake plenum when I intalled my supercharger the other day and figure the catch can I install needs to have two fittings or I need to go with a dual set-up. Note: although I'm supercharged now, the vac routing doesn't change.

Can anyone steer me to some info on this for first gen's?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #438
Tacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacozilla's Tacoma Gallery
Curses to you CayucosTacoma and to TW. Just finished saving money for the suspension. I come across this thread you have started. Now I have to save money for this too. J/K

Wanted to know I do oil changes every 5k, as some of you check the can at 500 then at 1000. Do you ever check your oil level in the engine to see what you are capturing and getting rid of is causing your oil level to go down. So you have to add oil between changes.
I thought that when these vapors pass through to PVC and then back into the engine that its kinda of like recirculating and some oil become deposites (which I know is the bad gunk) but some work their way back into lubracation.

OR am I just way off. I can understand these cans in race and off road hi-performance vehicles.

Just a thought. Some input would be appreciated before I open another coffee can bank account to save for this project.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #439
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Is there an oil catch can that rules them all for the Tacoma yet or not?

Products Discussed in this Thread