1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Catch Can Install Guide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CayucosTacoma, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Yea when mine was on i kept it drained in the winter but noticed it got frosty in there haha. I was worried about the lines clogging up... So i just took it off for winters

2. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm running 3/8" fuel line for my lines. I don't think enough fluid passes through the lines (unless you overflow the can) to cause a blocked line.

3. Jun 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    150 miles...
    [​IMG]

4. Jun 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    First of all thanks to CT for an awesome write up, much appreciated!! Kudos my friend.

Now, I have not read this thread from beginning to end and being the moron that I am still have some questions. Mainly, I have a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4.0L V6 that has a TRD Super Charger installed. I know that there are three versions of the catch can available:
    1: ADD W1 Oil catch can
    2: ADD W1 Oil catch Can Ver1
    3: ADD W1 Oil catch Can Ver2
    Also, the version 2 is available with or without a breather. So my main question is this: What version/configuration of the catch can do you think I need? Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated! Also, Cayucas Toyota (OP) you mentioned that you used the Spectre Performance (29406) 3/8" x 6' Stainless Steel Flex Fuel Line and the Spectre Performance 2260 Magnaclamp 3/8" Fuel Line Fittings. They look GREAT and I was just wondering how thow have held up and how well they are made?
    Thanks again OP and all of you for the great input and ideas.
    Ken

5. Jun 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    robotninjasrule

robotninjasrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    edmonton alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd sport
    I chose to use a "saiku-michi" can. The add w1 was my first choice then my brother pointed me to the saikou. After reading his site it looked like a better design. Check it out.
    http://www.saikoumichi.com

6. Jun 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I guess the popular thing to do is use an $85+ can. I just can't see spending that kind of coin on a filter.

I did mine for under $10 using a small air compressor filter (.5 micron sintered bronze). Works REALLY well.
    This is the same setup I ran on my old 400hp turbo-4 Volvo years ago. Had to empty that one a helluva lot more often, of course, being a turbo and all.

I'm still trying to figure out a decent mounting spot for my second filter (passenger side PCV). That one cost me all of $12, also .5 micron sintered bronze.

Just fyi for you lurkers liking the idea but not wanting to pull the trigger on such a relatively spendy part.

7. Jun 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    No breather!

8. Jun 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks guy, MUCH appreciated!!!
    Ken

9. Jun 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I found out that the difference between the ADD W1 v1 and v2 is that the v2 has the optional breather, so I ordered the v1.
    Does anyone have any pics of where to run the lines/hoses to on a Super Charged V6? I checked out the "how to" install thread, but it showed install on non-sc vehicle.
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Ken

10. Jul 31, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

AlanLoshbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
  11. Jul 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    The actual PCV valve should be in the same posistion, this is the hose behind the support bracket on the D/S of the engine, however i dont know where the tube routes too on an S/C'd Tacoma since you have removed the stock intake manifold, but if you can find the PCV valve just trace the hose.

Edit:
    IMG_5681_890f5d0b4d86ec4c49356b7f5bc5122b8979f911.jpg

It should be about there, all the other pictures show the valve as still being there, you just have to get your hand under the S/C to get it.

12. Jul 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Yeah that's pretty straightforward. Just follow the line from the pcv to where it ends on the supercharger. simple. done.

13. Jul 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    Tacotime99

Tacotime99 The Angry Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Bumpers Sliders Skid plates 33" tires
    Does it matter if the catch can has baffles in it or not? Why or why not?

14. Jul 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Baffles can be used to hold a Media(stainless steel mesh in my case) that the blow-by vapors and gasses "collect on and drip into the canister for later disposal...Helpful in the forced-induction world, but N/A engines benefit as well...here is basically what the Catch Can does....

An oil catch can is used in turbo applications, or high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

15. Jul 31, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    Tacotime99

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    So if what if I put some steel wool in there or something like that to help catch or collect the vapor? Would that be the same thing? I could always get some flat stock and drill a bunch of holes in (or Kydex) and then epoxy it in there...

16. Aug 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    NOT steel wool, you will end up with fibers in your system.

17. Aug 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    This...

Stainless Steel Pot Scrubber

images_ce074147d9cddd2f261f3e3b3c82ee3b25e2bd7f.jpg

18. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Tacotime99

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Ok, thanks for the tip...pot scrubber it is...

19. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    +1 on the SS pot scrubber.

20. Aug 1, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    That's what I use in my catch can. It doesn't take a lot either :thumbsup:

To Top