Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aftermarket bumper on a stock truck?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
angdefeo is on a distinguished road
angdefeo's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket bumper on a stock truck?

I am new to the world of Taco’s and cannot figure out a few things about front after-market bumpers. Most of the photo’s that I see with trucks running aftermarket bumpers also have lifted and upgraded suspensions. Is a lift and upgraded shocks and springs needed in order to allow for an aftermarket bumper from any of the various brands? Or can they mounted on a stock truck? I assume the extra weight could have an impact on the stock components.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
THe bumpers can be mounted on a stock suspended truck. As you stated, the extra weight would cause the front suspension to droop slightly, most add heavier springs to compensate.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
With an ARB bumper you will need something up front to support the extra weight. Not sure on other bumpers though. I will say that ARB is the only bumper that looks good on a stock truck. The others are just to bro.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my truck with an ARB bumper and Stock Suspension. It will handle it just fine. The ride is not what I wanted it to be and the front suspension was bottoming out on harsh dips/bumps.
If you don't mind that you can stay stock, but honestly if you can stiffen up/lift you will be doing yourself a favor. Check my build thread for pics of the stock suspension.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Relentless Fab makes an aluminum plate bumper that only weights like 60 lbs. Aluminess also makes aluminum plate bumpers but I don't know what they weigh. They'd be easier on your front suspension than plate steel.

jdmcq is correct though, you can put a plate bumper on a stock sprung Tacoma but it'll sag depending on which bumper you choose. Personally, I wouldn't put an ARB on a stock Tacoma, those suckers are pretty damn heavy!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Thank you for the advice!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Relentless Fab makes an aluminum plate bumper that only weights like 60 lbs. Aluminess also makes aluminum plate bumpers but I don't know what they weigh. They'd be easier on your front suspension than plate steel.

jdmcq is correct though, you can put a plate bumper on a stock sprung Tacoma but it'll sag depending on which bumper you choose. Personally, I wouldn't put an ARB on a stock Tacoma, those suckers are pretty damn heavy!
Plate is not the only option. Tube bumpers or one of the hybrids work well too and weigh a little bit less.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Plate is not the only option. Tube bumpers or one of the hybrids work well too and weigh a little bit less.
Good point, but who runs a tube bumper in the northeast...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #9

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good point, but who runs a tube bumper in the northeast...
True, only weirdos and posers.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Quote:
True, only weirdos and posers.
I am all about posing.....
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
One more question for you all. What is the effect of adding bilstien shocks (since it seems to be one of the first mods that is made to suspension) to the ride on city/highway roads?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Jdmcq....are you in Kennet Square, PA?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by angdefeo View Post
I am all about posing.....
He said that because I am in the NorthEast (Kennett Square) and have a tube bumper.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #14

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jdmcq....are you in Kennet Square, PA?
Yes I am! Where in or about Philly are you?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Quote:
Yes I am! Where in or about Philly are you?
I live in South Phila but spend a lot time at my friends detail shop in West Chester. Actually i am going to Southern Chester County Sportsman and Farmer club on tueday and spend some time on the range.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #16

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Chester County Sprtsmans club is right around the corner.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One more question for you all. What is the effect of adding bilstien shocks (since it seems to be one of the first mods that is made to suspension) to the ride on city/highway roads?
Bilstein is a brand but I'm assuming you are asking about the 5100's in particular. The 5100's are valved different (better in my opinion) than the stock shocks and provide for a more controlled ride. They seem to soak up hits much much better than stock. The reason they are so popular, aside from being a decent shock for the money, is they have an adjustable coil seat meaning you adjust the ride height by preloading the coil. This means you can preload your stock coils to gain lift and the 5100's actually do a good job dampening the stiffer coil.

Quote:
He said that because I am in the NorthEast (Kennett Square) and have a tube bumper.
Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bilstein is a brand but I'm assuming you are asking about the 5100's in particular. The 5100's are valved different (better in my opinion) than the stock shocks and provide for a more controlled ride. They seem to soak up hits much much better than stock. The reason they are so popular, aside from being a decent shock for the money, is they have an adjustable coil seat meaning you adjust the ride height by preloading the coil. This means you can preload your stock coils to gain lift and the 5100's actually do a good job dampening the stiffer coil.

Sorry, couldn't resist
It's all good! Tube bumpers are fruity anyway!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My buddy had an ARB on his stock 07 with stock tires. It looked great. The only reason he got it was because he got out of his truck while it was in drive and it crashed into a garage. The truck was totaled within a year because he crashed it. He is really just a bad driver.