1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by abcdleines, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    abcdleines

abcdleines [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Super White, Two tone black and grey leather, AVS hood protector, AVS in channel window visors. Leer 180 cap. New TRD exhaust, TRD 17" wheels.
    Have a new 2012 Prerunner, had 16" steelies on it when I picked her up. Found on Craigslist a set of TDR alloy rims off a 2006 with TPMS for a great price. Swapped wheels and was told had to have mother Toyota reprogram the sensors. Called to make appointment and was told that the 2006 would not work on the 2012?? Went back to tire shop and they moved the 2012 sensors to the new wheels. Wanted my steelies to mount snow tires on for easy swaps. Told the tire shop that I will just have to tolerate the light on the dash during the winter months like i did on my highlander and was told that he could not put the steelies on without sensors and let the truck leave his shop with the dash light on. Federal law. Question is, do they make matching sets that can be purchased for this sennerio? Sorry for the length of this post.

2. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First I've heard of the 2006 sensors not being able to be programmed to the 2012 computer.

Also only the second time I've heard of a shop saying that they even care the light is on.

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    abcdleines

abcdleines [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Super White, Two tone black and grey leather, AVS hood protector, AVS in channel window visors. Leer 180 cap. New TRD exhaust, TRD 17" wheels.
    At shop now and now the 2012 steelies sensors don't fit the 2006 alloy wheels. Angle is not the same. So buying new sensors from dealer (been coming to these guys for 30 years and have always been great, so not being screwed) and will have the sensors back on the steelies for snow tires. New sensors can be cloned so all sensors should work on my 2012.

4. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    So let me guess, they won't put reg valve stems in the 06 wheels and just give you TPMS in your hands and let you leave like that? I'd try another shop if not. You can make the PVC pipe bomb thing to put your 2012 sensors in wrapped in scott towels to not rattle around and put 30 psi in it and put it under your seat or somewhere in the truck and the light will be happy. Then you can do the same reg valve stems in your steelies and have winter set with no light too. Like this..........

[​IMG]

From another thread...........

Pretty simple - I used a valve stem from walmart, 3" dia piece of PVC and 2 PVC endcaps. Cut about a 4" piece of the pipe. Drill a hole in one of the endcaps sized correctly for the valve stem you bought (there are only 2 common sizes, but I don't remember what the correct drill is). Pop the valve stem in from the underside. You'll probably have to gently pull it through with a pair of pliers. Use 2-part PVC primer and cement to attach the non-drilled cap to the pipe. Then wrap your TPMS sensors in some paper towels or something to keep them from rattling around and put them in the pipe. Then prime/cement the endcap with the valve stem in place. Wait 24 hours, then pump it up to 30 PSI and make sure it holds air. Follow your manual on how to reset your light.

5. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    They will fit if you flip them 180 degrees or use tpms straps.

Products Discussed in

To Top