Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Good news to anyone considering a pop&lock tailgate lock

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Good news to anyone considering a pop&lock tailgate lock

After having researched tailgate locks here for some time and deciding on the manual pop&lock despite it's drawbacks, one of which was the black finish appearing "cheap" and subject to further fading, was pleased to find they are now offering a "premium" finished version, in black. various oem colors now available also, though perhaps only in the standard paint-quality version (?). pleased to deal with an american company (though there website could use some tweaking)
http://www.popandlock.net/Manual_Tai...?product_id=93
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
having to pay even more for a "premium" plastic/paint because the regular one is cheap and breaks is kind of ridiculous
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
sucker is expensive...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Yangster is on a distinguished road
Yangster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
After having researched tailgate locks here for some time and deciding on the manual pop&lock despite it's drawbacks, one of which was the black finish appearing "cheap" and subject to further fading, was pleased to find they are now offering a "premium" finished version, in black. various oem colors now available also, though perhaps only in the standard paint-quality version (?). pleased to deal with an american company (though there website could use some tweaking)
http://www.popandlock.net/Manual_Tai...?product_id=93
I went with the dynolock. don't have to change out the handle.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
having to pay even more for a "premium" plastic/paint because the regular one is cheap and breaks is kind of ridiculous
I hear ya, but there's not a lot out there for this application. sure, could go electric (dynolock or P&L's electric version), but potentially issues with electric (look up the electrics that have failed, including if you encounter a dead battery). some here seem to love their P&L's
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
i'd rather pay in between the 2 different "finishes" and them just make one version that isn't junk and will last a long time! lol
Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
jdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of light
jdm.obp's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dipped mine before I installed it
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
troy28 is on a distinguished road
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
I have the silver to match the truck. The match is not horrible but was defiantly disappointed. How do you screw up silver? If I had to do over I would have stayed with black. The main components are still primarily cheap plastic.

If you want a lock that will prevent people from easily opening the gate it does the job. If you think it will really keep out someone who wants in you will be disappointed.

For my needs I would get the manual again but in black.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for about 4.5 years. Works fine, looks fine, never a problem. With that + the hose clamp mod, you're pretty certain to never have your tailgate stolen.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...deterance.html
Old 07-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
WarrenH is on a distinguished road
WarrenH's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried the white one? I wonder how close it matches the white Toyota paint.

Seems crazy, sounds like the only difference with the black premium and normal is the paint. That must be some expensive paint. Anyone who has seen both, it is worth it?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the later model black one on my truck (added a Pioneer reverse camera to my '05) and once the paint flaked off it looked better. It's holding up fine though and does what it's supposed to. I'll probably shoot some black paint on it if I ever have to take it off or open the tailgate up.