Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen fully assembled air locking 3rd members

Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Hull Technician 2nd Class
Name: Big Jim
Turd Herding Jim's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen fully assembled air locking 3rd members

For those of us with the 2nd gens who would like to get air lockers but aren't really sure if we want to shell out a whole lot of money to have a shop install them. Check out East Coast Gear Supply and give them a call. The sell assembled 3rd members for the front and rear diffs with gearing of your choice. They offer free ground shipping for orders over $500, which is a given with this upgrade. All they request is you mail them your current 3rd members back to them. They include a shipping label with the new ones so all you have to do is put the used ones in the new ones box and drop them off at the post office.

I just bought fully assembled front and rear air locker diffs with 4.56 gears and the compressor kit for just north of $3200. A local shop quoted me almost $5k for a air locker install and re-gear in my stock diffs. this is a pretty good deal IMHO and worth checking out. Not sure if other gear shops offer fully assembled 3rd members.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder how much for just a rear locker install on a 4banger?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
I wonder how much for just a rear locker install on a 4banger?
2.7 is what I got brother, and according to my receipt that would cost $1545 shipped to your door. you could install yourself or have a shop put it in
Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
ECGS has a reputation for doing fantastic installs. They also have an excellent website with pricing allowing you to pick and choose options.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
ECGS has a reputation for doing fantastic installs. They also have an excellent website with pricing allowing you to pick and choose options.
I was surprised to not see them in the vendor section on here, and if I didn't have the people and resources that i do here I would definitely make the couple hour trip twice to have them do it for me! But I'm all for saving hundreds of $$$$ on labor charges if I know I can get the job done right
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Herding Jim View Post
I was surprised to not see them in the vendor section on here, and if I didn't have the people and resources that i do here I would definitely make the couple hour trip twice to have them do it for me! But I'm all for saving hundreds of $$$$ on labor charges if I know I can get the job done right
I have been looking for an excuse (read the money) to send them both of my diffs for re-gear. I even thought of taking a vacation down that way and having them do all the work.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
I have been looking for an excuse (read the money) to send them both of my diffs for re-gear. I even thought of taking a vacation down that way and having them do all the work.
would be worth it...then again that vacation could be used for this (not so secret trip)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #8

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Ooh. That is right around my anniversary. I could surprise the wife!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Ooh. That is right around my anniversary. I could surprise the wife!
nothing says I love you more than telling your wife she has to poop in the woods!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nothing says I love you more than telling your wife she has to poop in the woods!
Way better than Baltimore's Inner Harbor like last year.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #11

touche
Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
I actually drove down to ECGS to have my gears and lockers installed. (made it worth my while and stopped by ATO as well) They did a great job installing and setting everything up aside from a couple small details. I'm a little picky and noticed they hadn't used split loom over the air lines (which was ran above the exhaust heat shields) and they routed the power wires from the compressor along the firewall and straight across the fuse box to the battery. It would have been nice to see the installer go that extra little mile to route those wires along the firewall and fender to the battery but oh well I'll just reroute them myself.

I also like how clean the switches turned out in the overhead console.

Chase is an awesome guy to deal with and i couldn't be happier with the install. They come highly recommend and i can see why.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
I actually drove down to ECGS to have my gears and lockers installed. (made it worth my while and stopped by ATO as well) They did a great job installing and setting everything up aside from a couple small details. I'm a little picky and noticed they hadn't used split loom over the air lines (which was ran above the exhaust heat shields) and they routed the power wires from the compressor along the firewall and straight across the fuse box to the battery. It would have been nice to see the installer go that extra little mile to route those wires along the firewall and fender to the battery but oh well I'll just reroute them myself.

I also like how clean the switches turned out in the overhead console.

Chase is an awesome guy to deal with and i couldn't be happier with the install. They come highly recommend and i can see why.
can you post pics for where they installed your switches?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I drove 12 hrs One Way for the peace of mind having it done properly.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
can you post pics for where they installed your switches?
Absolutely, just snapping a couple pics right now. I actually forgot to snap pics when i got home, so excuse the crappy cell phone pics.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to but they'll charge you for a core.

Installing is pretty simple all things considered. Just a little labor, but nothing overly complicated about it. Read some tutorials on here and go at it.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #18

Gylar, still waitin' on those pics...
Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #19

Sorry Jim, last night Photobucket was acting up and wouldn't allow me to upload any pics for some reason. Oh well, i took some better pics in the daylight anyways so here ya go.

I wanted to leave room for more switches so i had them install off center...

I'll never figure why they ran the wires directly across my fusebox and not along the fender.... (damn, i need an aux fuse box badly!)

You can see the split loom i've already ran along the air lines. Still need to cover the rest up tho...
Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #20

Looks good man. I see what you're saying about the under hood wiring.