1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I care about SR5 vs TRD?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by camper101, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    camper101

camper101 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access cab TRD
    Hello,

I'm buying a Tacoma very soon, but not sure if it matters if I get an SR5 or TRD package. Could you please correct me if I'm wrong or share any thoughts?

So far all I know is that I want an Access Cab 4x4 V6.

I think the package doesn't matter much for me and what I'll do. A few facts:
    - I'm not going far too far off-road, just going to get to some campsites and fishing holes off the forest service and BLM areas
    - I live in Colorado and drive in the snow a lot, mostly on pavement (do the traction features matter?)
    - I'm going to carry a Four Wheel Camper shell model (dry weight roughly 550 lbs, I'll get "helper springs" put on but I don't really know much/anything about that)
    - Getting decent gas mileage would be nice

I mention the part about the trailer because I want to be safe of course. With two of us, the camper, and all our junk I'm pretty sure we'll be below 1300 lbs (but maybe not drastically below).

Seems like I'm going to have to get either SR5 or TRD based on inventory available, and that's fine... I don't mind having a few bells and whistles. But does one of those sound like a better fit to you?

Thank you!

2. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    Sr5 seems like it will do what you need

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Welcome to TW man. Sounds to me like either or will do. The big perk to the TRD off road is it has a rear locker, but since you won't be using it in too many situations where you'd absolutely need one I'd say you're fine either way. I'd shop around and see what you can find in the specs you want for the price you want. I personally like the few extras that the TRD package has to offer and am glad to have them, but could easily live without.

I know that wasn't helpful in deciding between the two, but my honest opinion is that either will be fine for you and would buy on availability unless you find a certain feature to be a "must have".

4. Jul 26, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    camper101

camper101 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access cab TRD
    Thank you!

Any opinion helps me decide. If nothing else it confirms that I probably don't need to worry about the package too much (and might as well save a few bucks with SR5).

5. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    SodakTaco

SodakTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCab TRD Sport
    Floor mats
    My favorite part about the TRD packages is the seats. This is a matter of personal preference of course, but the regular seats in the SR5 are pretty uncomfortable to me. Everything else I could do without, but I love the seats in my TRD.

6. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Save a few bucks and get the SR5

7. Jul 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    BillJC

BillJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    SR5 and then upgrade as you see fit.

8. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I'm perfectly happy with my SR5, though it's a Prerunner, but as far as the added options of the TRD, I don't miss them. The seats, for example, are just fine for me and I'm someone who had lower back surgery (herniated disc) 7 years ago so take that for what it's worth (probably not much, lol).

9. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    I agree about the seats. I actually use the inverter a good bit too after I modded it to be always 400w and added two plugs in the cab (along the front of the center console on the passenger side). It allows me to run my netbook and recharge camera batteries. I also plug my fridge in the back at times (never tried running everything at once- don't think 400w would do it). The e-locker is nice when you need it. The suspension definitely isn't worth it and I upgraded to OME pretty soon after I got the truck.

10. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    That's what I did...

I bought an SR5 4x4 dc in July 2010...

and upgraded to a 2012 TRD Sport 4x4 dc last week.

11. Jul 27, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    lmcc007

lmcc007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Northern CA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 PreRunner Doublecab Longbed
    Tube steps & tonneau cover.
    I carried a 1,000 lb pop-up camper for a while. I used airbags and they did the trick just fine for the extra weight. I also have an SR5. It would be nice to have the plug in the bed, but I have a portable inverter if I need power. The TRD is nicer, but it was also a few thousand more. The best thing for you to do is to look at what the SR5 offers and look at what the TRD offers. If you can live without the TRD stuff or add it later then why not go for less expensive.

12. Jul 27, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    SR5 will serve you fine. Like others have stated, just upgrade later as you see fit. Besides, you can buy a TRD decal from member Sockmonkey to fool the masses.

13. Jul 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    For your needs the SR5 will be perfect. Like mentioned, the only thing that would be nice to have but overkill for your needs is the rear e-locker in the TRD Off Road model. But you can add a ARB locker down the road if you ever wanted to. But with a 4x4 and your described needs you will probably never feel the the need for a rear locker :cool:

14. Jul 27, 2012 at 5:23 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    i have an sr5 4x4 and love it. like stated above, you can always upgrade parts, and you proably will being a member on TW. the only thing that i kinda want that sr5s dont come with is the locking diff, but there's the arb air locker too to add on.

15. Jul 27, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    YukonLT

YukonLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 Timberland Mica
    none
    SR5 for sure, given what you want out of the truck. The TRD is nice, but one thing some people don't like are the more aggressive tires and different shocks on them which offer a different ride quality. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. I think the rear locker would be overkill for what you are looking for too.

My current one is a base model AC 4x4. I wanted to get away from all the bells and whistles that I have always had for awhile. I can say though, that after three years of owning it I am missing some of those things...but not too much :)

Good luck!

16. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Or you could cheap-out, skip the SR5 package & go with the Convenience Package then install the aftermarket accessories you find you really need.

17. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    SR5 seats suck... that reason alone is enough to justify any TRD package.

18. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I didn't think so, and I drove an SR5 for 2 years. The SR5 passenger seat-back folds flat...and I actually found use for that a few times.

Of one can spend or finance the few thousand more...I'd recommend the TRD. the upgrades are nice.

Drive an SR5 first for a few years, then trade up to a TRD...you will have 1st hand feel and appreciate the difference.

19. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I think you will be more than fine with SR5 unless you find a TRD for similar price. I realy like the TRD seats though, however I never sat in regular SR5 seats, I just know they are different. I myself would get a base model next time if anything would happen to this truck to save money. I like TRD features, but could live without them and the ones I need can be added for cheap. Post pics once you get your truck.

20. Jul 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    GumBo Jackson

GumBo Jackson Member

Member:
    Good info in this thread. Like the OP I am trying to decide between SR5 and TRD off-road packages.

The rear locker would be nice, but I don't anticipate using it very often. I plan on doing some light off-roading and here in VA we get a little snow every year, but from what I have read here on TW it seems that just having a 4x4 should be enough for either of those situations.

I drove both a few weeks ago and I actually thought the SR5 rode a little better...I am assuming that is b/c I am so used to driving a car and the TRD had the off-road tires and suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top