LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Retrofit Help For Those in Need

Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit Help For Those in Need

So for all of you who want to retrofit projectors and BHLM your Taco but don't know where to start or what to get and are having trouble finding answers on here hopefully this helps.

Go check this stuff out. Theretrofitsource.com has the best prices that I know of. You have a couple of options here. I had ballasts from HIDs already so I chose to buy the projectors by themselves and a friend of mine had bulbs for me already but they do sell it in a kit that has projectors, hid bulbs and ballasts. Now the two most common retrofits for the Tacoma is the FX-R and the Morimoto Minis. The FX-R is supposed to be the harder of the two and I would recommend the Morimoto with D2S which is supposed to be plug and play. However, due to the curve differences of the 2012 headlights, there was minor trimming that needed to be done with a dremmel in order to get the projectors to face straight out rather than angled in but it was still pretty easy. (Not 100% sure on earlier models but from my understanding it is in fact "plug and play" So for starters go to that website and click hid projectors and then the ones I got are the morimoto mini D2S projectors. I'm pretty sure they sell it as the kit with projectors bulbs and ballasts but I got just the projectors for $110. Then if you click projector shrouds on the site they have plenty to choose from. Mine are the Gatling gun ones (not Gatling gun 2.0) and they sell them in either premium or value. Value has minor defects but If you plan on painting them like I did then that's the way to go. I saved I think $20 but the premium ones are only like $40 if you don't plan on painting them. Now as far as painting the headlights you can choose to follow the "how to" thread from TW and use spray paint or you can split them open and take them to a local auto paint place and get them done legit. I have a friend that owns a body shop so it only cost about $130 to get them done but was well worth saving the time and struggle in my opinion. If you have everything at once and setup a date with a shop you should be able to knock it out in one weekend so you don't have to worry about getting back and forth without headlights or a grille. Also I got my chrome grille surround painted to match the rest of my truck and deff set it off better than the chrome would have(about $80) If your interested in halos too just let me know and i can answer any questions about them. I figured I might as well do everything while I had them apart but it all depends on what you're going for. I know I might not have covered everything but this should get you started and since I'm posting this from my phone pics will come when I get back on my computer. Hope this helps out and good luck.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pics

Morimoto Mini D2S Projectors with Gatling Gun Shrouds Painted and 6k HIDs

With White Halos

Halos Only

Night Time

Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
bought the morimoto mini D2S from TRS, now just waiting on a pair of headlights. this will be my first retro. crossing my finger nothing goes wrong
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Quack Addict

More Pics

Before Paint

Painted

Connectors that did not come with projectors(gonna need these)

Also, make sure you have a Bi:Xenon High/Low Relay Harness
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
bought the morimoto mini D2S from TRS, now just waiting on a pair of headlights. this will be my first retro. crossing my finger nothing goes wrong
Haha I can almost guarantee that you will run into at least one issue as I have learned nothing goes right the first time when modding. At least not for me lol. If theres anything I can do to help just let me know
Old 07-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertaco12 View Post
Haha I can almost guarantee that you will run into at least one issue as I have learned nothing goes right the first time when modding. At least not for me lol. If theres anything I can do to help just let me know
shoots, sounds good man.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyaboi808 View Post
Thanks Again Monstertaco! your the man for putting all this info out!
No problem! Now I just gotta finish pulling out this all nighter before work in 2 hours lol
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold
Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
That looks insane, I've never seen that before.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Quack Addict

All thanks to RJ at LED concepts http://www.facebook.com/#!/LED.Concepts
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Commanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really nice
Commanderwiggin's Tacoma Gallery
I also had the alignment off on my Mini D2S kit...looks great btw!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
The LED halos are badass. Do you have them wired up to act as DRLs?
No but they are hooked up to a wireless remote so I can turn them on/off and change to any color whenever I want
Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Why the D2S? I'm done many retrofits using the H1 because the projector performs better.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertaco12 View Post
Morimoto Mini D2S Projectors with Gatling Gun Shrouds Painted and 6k HIDs

With White Halos

Halos Only

Night Time

I've wanted to do this since I got my truck. Wish I could afford this shit!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #18
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
I want to get this for my headlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dis_...layer_embedded
Any help?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #19
TACO's anyone???
damoihunta is on a distinguished road

damoihunta's Tacoma Gallery
Shoot if I wanted it to stay on green most of the time and shift occasionally that is possible right? I was intending to just put in HIDs not projectors would that affect anything? does the whole set up look and work with the lights left chrome? HIDs rely on the chrome to project the light though right so cant black everything out if using HIDs? I also talked to some guys that said safer to use heat gun instead of oven to take housing apart and reseal with silicone or do I use something else to reseal housing once these are in. does the kit come with LEDs for the fogs too? Oh and how does the halo mount with glue or double stick? I want this really bad!!!! I got a 2012 too. sick looking truck tho... nice work,I'll go check out the sit for the LEDs
Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
How hard are they to aim? And how much "custom" fab is required? I did the bhlm and dash LEDs so I'm not afraid to f@@@ shit up apparently