1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dangling Chain from Spare - New 2012 4X4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AJ1G, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    AJ1G

AJ1G [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Stonington, CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 2.7L Auto 4X4 SR5 Access Cab
    Hello all from Chris, a new 2012 4X4 owner from Ct. I asked this question on the new members forum, but did not get any replies, figure this forum probably gets more reading....

What is the proper way to stow the chain that is part of the hoist used to raise and lower the spare from under the frame? The one on our new SR5 Access Cab 4X4 is dangling down from through the hub hole in the spare steel wheel and rattles when going over rough roads, also afraid it may snag something eventually. The dealer's service manager said they just tie wrap them up against the wheel, but I'm wondering if there is a better way?

2. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    I don't know if there is a "proper" way. I took a small bungee cord and secured it to the rim of the spare. 20 minutes to find my stash of bungee cords, and about 40 seconds to secure it. :)

My plan is to eventually see if I can swap out the 2nd gen hoist with a 1st gen hoist, or else retrofit this one with cable.

3. Jul 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Where is this chain? I don't think my '09 access cab has one. All I recall is a steel cable with a plate/spring on the tire end.

4. Jul 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Your memory is working fine, my '06 has the cable style as well.

I small zip tie should suffice, and will just break if left on when you drop the spare. Something that should be done with either style from time to time so they don't seize up, and a shot of lube at the same time.

Products Discussed in

To Top