1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Pulsation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atavuss, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    atavuss

atavuss [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 09 double cab TRD 4x4 short bed with 45k on the odometer has had a brake pulsation for a while now. it is only noticable when the brakes get hot going down mountain passes. I just bought a 1700 lb. Coleman tent trailer so I added the Prodigy P3 brake controller and I noticed the Taco brakes really pulsate after a few down hill stops.
    Will the Tundra brake upgrade (larger rotors and calipers) work on the 2nd gen Tacos? Or do I just need to toss the stock rotors and go with another set of stock rotors and pads?
    I had a 04 double cab TRD 4x4 and it was bad for warping rotors also. No problems so far with my 2010 regular cab 4x4 Taco yet but it only has 15k miles on it.
    BTW, the Prodigy P3 brake controller was so simple to install, I bought the vehicle specific wire adaptor and it was basically plug n play once I found the partially hidden brake controller plug under the dash.

2. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Downshifting will save your brakes, after you replace your warped rotors and pads. If you are heating up your brakes regularly on downgrades, your driving style is the main culprit.

3. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    atavuss

Member:
    I don't think so, I always downshift and let the trans do most of the work.............

4. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Another possibility is a sticking brake caliper, but that wouldn't have anything to do with towing. It would simply cause the brake to heat up on any longer trips.

What gear are you downshifting to on the highway? I rarely touched my brakes towing a 3500lb TT, and if you know anything about BC roads and terrain, you'll know I know what grades are. I did spend some time with my 6 spd in 4th, and even 3rd on steep highway decents though, and found it held back fairly well, especially over 3500 RPM.

5. Jul 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I learned on other cars and trucks I have owned that the cheap crappy rotors that come on the car from the factory (including the cheap ones at auto zone) are worthless. I went through several set of rotors on my Mustang several years ago. I started with the cheapest one AZ had. they warped fast (something about hitting the brakes at 100 plus MPH when ya see a cop). I ordered the next more expensive set from AZ, they lasted a bit longer but still warped. In the end I bought Bear Decalla drilled and slotted rotors for it and they lasted almost 90 thousand miles (up untill I traded it for the Taco). I loved those rotors, they were by far the BEST upgrade I ever spent on a vehicle, and will probably buy some for the Tacoma too. Maybe not the top end drilled and slotted ones but maybe just some slotted. But Bear all the way for me.

6. Jul 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Sounds like rotors are warped is all. You should also adjust the rears to work a little more if you can....

7. Jul 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    atavuss

Member:
    Already knew the rotors are warped. Don't want to machine them as the more metal you remove the less heat they will dissapate. Rear brake adjustment is fine.
    No one knows if the Tundra rotors and calipers will work on the 2nd gen Tacos?
    If I can't upgrade to the Tundra rotors and calipers I will have to upgrade to better rotors...........

8. Jul 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Just got back from a little trip through the mountains of PA; good God what a nightmare for the brakes. I pity anyone who has to commute that every day.

But I must say Sloan Hill was a F'n RIOT, better than ANY Rollercoaster I've ever been on, You Guys should try it some time...0 G's for 4-5 seconds then a super smooth curve straight up!. My heart fluttered for 4-5 seconds and I really thought I was going to pass out! Congrats to the engineers at PENDOT! I'll be back! Really, really something else!

Products Discussed in

To Top