1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 5spd manual, hard to get in to gear and loud noises?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hour, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jul 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    It's a 4cyl 4x4 5MT, has about 1400 miles on it. I know that folks have had complaints about the 5spd manuals, stating that they can't get a smooth shift to save their life, etc. I haven't seen anything that hits on the loud noises and even hesitation getting in to gear though and search techniques were pulling up more 6spd stuff than I could wade through.

I've driven exclusively manual transmission cars (3 of them) in the last decade and a few thousand miles in friend's manual trucks, so I thought I knew what to expect. I knew that with my last car being a Subaru legacy turbo that the truck would not shift at all like I was used to, likely far less crisp and less notchy - not as eager to go as soon as you get in gear, slower and less torquey... not a performance and driving enthusiast oriented transmission.

I'm yet to stall this truck out and am pretty proud of that, and I haven't burnt the clutch trying to prevent this once so that's kind of impressive. I have noticed that 99% of the time when shifting from 1st to 2nd that there's a really loud clunk outside of the car (windows down) and the same noise is almost a crack inside. There's a great deal of resistance to get the stick in to second until this crack, I have to wait a second or two for it to go in. No matter how long I wait or how perfect I rev match, the sound and resistance is there. Pushing in the clutch when in second (to go in to neutral and stop, or to shift in third) causes a pretty significant jolt in the cab and I go forward in my seat a little bit, almost as if the process of pushing the clutch in with the shifter in second kicked the engine in the nuts. If I'm shifting in to third after, I do not get any significant clunk but I am met with great resistance and sometimes cannot get in to third without waiting 3+ seconds. That kind of delay when you're listening to a semi shift beside you from a stop, a longer than average pause.

Since I'm having to drive so meticulously I really don't have any problem of throwing myself/passenger back in the seat once I get in to second or third, it's honestly pretty smooth in the cab with the exception of pushing clutch in while in second. So... hard to get in gears, very loud while shifting (people on sidewalk look when I pass), doesn't like to go in or come out of second. Any help appreciated, if this is just how they are then that's cool - I'll be fine knowing that everyone else is dealing with it and that it'll still last me for a long time. From all my experiences driving manuals though this doesn't feel quite right and honestly doesn't feel good for the vehicle. I'll gladly take it back to the dealership but if this is normal I'd love to not have to drop it off with those clowns only to get a 'TECH DROVE COULD NOT REPLICATE' in the comments section.

Thanks guys and hopefully this isn't a TLDR post :cool:

2. Jul 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i hate to say it but, this is a truck not a car. i have had only manual cars and trucks for almost the entire time i have been driving.

the tocoma's drive like a truck more so than others my 89 ford ranger with 189k on the clock shifted better than my new tacoma does. so i hear you on it being hard to drive smoothly but, unless there is actually is a problem i'm not aware of happening to your truck it may just be you trying to hustle through the gears a bit to fast.

lol i'm not trying to redirect blame or anything just pointing out similarities that i have experienced with my truck. mine absolutely refuses to be hustled through the gears and if i force it i get some noises nothing really to warrant concern but, its full of drama all the way to 5th :laugh: the manuals in these trucks aren't great but, i suspect its the clutch thats the main culprit at work here its horrendous from the factory. they slip easily the burn easily & they are hard to operate smoothly imo.

or maybe your clutch just needs some adjustment either way i fully agree while i don't have really loud clunks or cracks when shifting mine does suck balls lol. if i where you i would drive it very easy and make an appointment asap for a tech to check it out its a toyota issue they need to resolve it for you. i would also have a tech ride along with you while you drive the truck so you can repeoduce the noise instead of just letting him go at it alone.

3. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    the transmission's antics coupled with the engines unpredictable rev-downs make them near impossible to drive like yesterday's vehicles. i know almost any new toyota to be manual not by listening to the exhuast, but to clunking between shifts. some days i swear i'd rather be in a dump truck.

stick with it, once you and the truck learn eachother a little bit it gets better. had mine for six months now and almost have it when my passenger doesnt look so much like he/ she is having a seizure when i shift lol

4. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TC UCA OME 884 5100 TSB+AAL 4.10 V6 6spd 285/75/16
    In my truck you can hear the shifter moving the gears from the outside. Even when I wiggle the shifter in neutral people on the sidewalk can hear it.

5. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    When I fiirst started driving this truck, I thought the transmission was horrendous compared to my old 87 Toyota pickup. As time went on, I've actually adjusted to the quirks and I can drive it pretty smooth. You can't shift it quick like a sports car and in the lower gears, rev to 3K rpm before shifting. When it's cold out , she don't shift the same till warmed up.

6. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    You're absolutely not alone, and you provided a very good description of every single issue I've had too. It took a year for me to finally learn how to drive my truck with some civility. You'll get used to it after a while, but there's a sharp learning curve. Here's some advice/observations that might be helpful:

1) When stopped in neutral and you want to go into 1st, wait for about 3 seconds after disengaging the clutch before putting it into gear so the transmission has time to spin-down. Otherwise you'll get a slight jerk forward and a thump.

2) When shifting from 1st to 2nd, you have to hold it just out of gear and let the syncros do their thing before moving the shifter all the way into gear. Otherwise you'll get the 'clunk' you described. On cold mornings this is much worse and will sometimes require a throttle blip to get the RPM's back into range before re-engaging the clutch.

3) If you try to shift quickly into 3rd you'll likely see some resistance before getting into gear. I've even experienced a full out rejection a few times when I wasn't paying attention and tried to shift too fast. You have to move your shift point to about 3000 RPM's when going from 2nd to 3rd so you have enough time to hold it for a second to let the syncros work.

4) I still struggle with the 4th to 5th rev hang, and simply hold the clutch pedal in and wait however long it takes (3-8 seconds) for the RPM's to come back down before letting the clutch back out. This requires some concentration, but I've found that if you lift off the throttle to the point just before the force in the driveline becomes reversed (i.e. before you start engine braking), then push the clutch in and shift, the RPM's will come down faster. This rev hang is completely driven by the fact that the ECU takes over and holds the thottle slightly open in higher gears, and is reason my truck refuses to engine-brake when going down hills in 5th gear.

5) You might not be able to shift into 1st if you're going over 2 mph, unless you're good at double clutching. And you won't be able use 2nd if you're going under 10 mph or you'll bog the engine. In other words, take all turns at >10 mph in 2nd gear, or come to a complete stop and shift into 1st before taking the turn.

6) The tranmission shifts the best when on long highway slogs and it's warmed up completely.

7. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    well put sir, well put :)

as much as i don't want to admit it it took me awhile to learn this truck myself :eek:

i drive dump trucks double and trips lol i can shift with out a clutch as well so i know how to drive a standard and don't feel like it is me either. these trucks really do shift like shit lol i'm going to be replacing the clutch with another one soon enough so hell with it. i think that has a lot to do with it but, hell if i know i just know its the worst shifting standard i have ever been in hands down.

8. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    You guys are scaring me out of a manual :p

Off topic....I've always wanted to learn stick but would you guys recommend learning on a 5speed? Or is it not learner friendly?

And before I buy anything I will probably take a dmv course or find a friend.

9. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    So the 5-speed is just as clunky, noisy, and awkward as the 6-speed? Now I don't feel so alone! :p

10. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    sheesh, my 1st gen doesn't do any of this. Well other than the retarded rev hang.

11. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    100% accurate^

12. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
  13. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    summed up nicely^^ my dad bought an 09 5 spd long before i bought my 6/6. when he first bought his i said "junk" only to later buy mine. we both have the same exact problems but manage to get around fine now. no worries.

when i was buying mine the salesman seriously advised i drive the nissan beforehand if i enjoy driving a manual. i scoffed then but now wonder. . .

edit: i was reffering to eco's post but everyone under is spot on

14. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    to be honest this truck is probably not a good vehicle to learn a standard trans with. not that you couldn't but, like others have stated their are a lot of quirks and you would more than likely pick up some bad habits that wouldn't translate to most other cars or trucks. the clutch is terrible to modulate so driving it smoothly is going to be very hard to do when first starting out.

lol my mother used to drag cars and pretty much everything she drove was a manual even she finds it to be terrible. a commercial truck is not to far off in terms of ease of use :/

all of this aside my truck has a horrible throw out bearing noise going on sounds exactly like the v6 model. push the clutch in nothing no noise let it out and it sounds like a diesel chattering away :(

a little off topic but, figured i would give you the low down cause these problems are wide spread among the manual trans crowd.

15. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have both and find the 6 speed to be a pain in the ass, but the 5 speed works great. *shrug*

Edit: Could have something to do with the 5 speed being a company truck. Since I don't pay for gas, and I'm always in a hurry at work, it's usually revved up higher before shifting.

16. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    i have been wondering about a better clutch, but moreso a lighter flywheel and/or the throttle modulating thingy i was reffering to in another post. supposedly it more quickly controls the throttle plate in relation to your foot position. that would be nice, cause not only is the lag annoying on engine decel for up shifting (clutch down, no throttle input) , but when trying to rev-match for downshifting (clutch down, with throttle input) is rediculous. my old 22re truck would take a quick blip and that rpm needle would jump to the moon

17. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i drive my truck like a truck i don't race it or expect things from it i shouldn't i don't expect to feel the steering wheel alive with info or the gear box telegraphing me info like a bmw or mazda but, i do expect to not make me rethink on how to drive a manual.

my truck has done it since it was new, hell i only have 15k on it now. i never beat it & even i find the clutch hard to modulate. it wants to randomly stall out at times i feel like all by itself :/ when smoothly letting out the clutch all of a sudden the rpm's dive in the toilet. other times it just lurches ahead in this strange little way like its grabbing & letting & go grabbing letting go this is all going on while i'm just letting it out to take off from a stop.

18. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    dont get me started on throw-out bearing noise. i thought my brother's cummins sounded so cool apon clutch engagement and thought "thats what a real tranny sounds like"

on our recent clutch changeout, we found the bearing to be completely shot and the source of "the tough noise" . . . . . . . . . . . . . my 6-gear makes the tough noise :(

19. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    agreed ^ when i "race" it, the tach falls in a sensible way that lets me shift fine. i just hate hearing those pistons in non-machineable sleeves operating at more than 3k rpm

20. Jul 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    92dlxman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    hey just to let you all know this thread is 2 pages long and every post prior to this one has been logical and on topic. . . . . . . . must be a record

Products Discussed in

To Top