1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shopping for a 2012...Is there anything I can do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by burtonboards32, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jul 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have recently been shopping for a new truck, mostly Ford F-150s and F-350s as I am planning on buying a boat this winter and would like a tow vehicle that I will not be limited with the load I tow, but today I decided to try to sell myself on a 2012 Tacoma as I have had 2 Tacomas for 8 years combined with no issues other than basic maintenance and I could still be able to tow a decent sized boat with the Tacoma. I stopped at my local Toyota dealership, http://route44toyota.com/, was quickly greeted by a saleswoman and brought to the stock of Tacomas and was given the opportunity to drive the new truck that I was interested in. After driving the truck I sat down to talk numbers, explained to the woman my purpose for being there, selling a new Tacoma on myself, asked what their "number" was, again trying to sell the "low cost" of the Tacoma over the $50k+ trucks that I have previously been shopping, and she was off to talk to the sales manager. She quickly returned with the manager who began to discuss the advantages of the Tacoma over the Fords that I have been shopping for and reminded them that I am already an owner and realize the advantages of the truck. I explained that I was interested in what they could sell the truck for to possibly make a deal and he again turned the subject to what kind of boat I was shopping for. After trying to swing the discussion back to price, he began getting rude, making comments like, "it is clear that we can not make a deal here..." and proceeded to push us out the front door. I will admit, I usually do get pretty fed up with the haggling involved in car shopping and can get somewhat rude myself, but I was being very calm and keeping my shit together. I told him that I would be more than happy to take my business and most of all, money elsewhere and left. Is there anything that I can do, other than make a complaint to the "manager's" senior manager, which I plan to do, within Toyota in order to share my distaste for this one specific dealership?

2. Jul 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts
    Total BS. Call corporate...they go nuts over stuff like this. My father-in-law is part owner of a Toyota dealer and he's told me the influence calls to corporate on things like this can have. I would call and ensure you give them the names of everyone involved at the dealer and they will take some kind of action against them. Good luck.

3. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Tioloco

Tioloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    TracRac G2, Xtrang Trifecta, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Konig Countersteer X Bronze, debadged, Custom grill/tailgate badges, Bilstein 5100's front, BAMF light bar, KC Slimlites, Redline hood struts, Smittybilt XRC8, UWMS, in-cab winch controls, Grillcraft MX, Brite Box
    That's funny. When the salesman kept dancing around my price (third trip over to the sales manager), I got up and headed for the door. The sales manager intercepted me, and met my price on the spot.

Not sure if it was bs or not, but a couple of people told me that they were up against the end of month quotas, so were making deals. They said the dealer does not make that much on the sale, but on the incentives based on monthly volume.

4. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    burtonboards32

Member:
    Thanks for your input, 4x. Come on guys, 70+ views and only one person with a suggestion or input? Am I being unrealistic to think that the dealership needs us to buy trucks to keep their doors open and not the other way around?

5. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    burtonboards32

Member:
    That's what I expected, a sales manager to try to make a deal, not basically ask a "sale" to leave without even giving a number. I said to him at least twice, "listen, I am trying to make myself want another Tacoma over the Fords that I had previously shopped...what am I looking at for a price for this truck?"...yet, i got no where. The wife looked at me when we got back into the truck with a confused look on her face and asked, "What the hell just happened there?! We were asked to leave!"

6. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    Not sure what you're looking for other than calling corporate and go to another dealership? :confused:

7. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    burtonboards32

Member:
    Maybe, "you are being unrealistic...these trucks are selling themselves"? Someone to tell me that I should have been rude with him and tried to hammer him into a sale $5k under invoice? Someone to tell me that something similar has happened to them, but don't waste my time calling corporate because I will get someone on the other end that does nothing with my complaint? Maybe just a little input...

I don't know about you, but I don't go car shopping every day. The last vehicle I purchased was six years ago. Needles to say, inexperience with car shopping made me scratch my head today wondering, "What just happened there?!"

8. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    whether or not you complain, you'll get em back somehow. i went to my local to get a new truck last year, and spent HOURS with they're run around b.s. i even educated the salesman on all the features, specs, and options available and couldn't get a break lol.

got my used one, at a fair price and half the interest up north, plus it has what i want without having to explain that the options are in-fact, available. ultimate satisfaction strolling into my local to get my new floor-mats. salesman and finance guys all looked stupider than normal. what a feeling

9. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    These Douche Canoes are coming over from the closed down GM dealerships.

All I want to say is after all this hassle, make sure there is a SUPERCHARGER under the hood. Do it once, do it right. [​IMG]

10. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    DFJ

DFJ New Member

Member:
    You can complain, but my experience has been Toyota does not set the bar very high for the professional behavior of their dealers. I am in the mid Atlantic region and there are a number of dealers who let you search their inventory on line and then will email you their "Internet" price, without having to talk to anyone. This saves a lot of irritation.

11. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    burtonboards32

Member:
    Supercharger is the plan if I do not go Ford Ecoboost or diesel.

12. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    Complain to Toyota corporate and leave your name and number. Let them know you'll be filling out a few dealership reviews online. Then wait for the dealer to call you begging you to come back and get a great deal.

13. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Going to the Owner of the Dealership could get you exactly what you want.

14. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Stop worrying about it and move on. If you have decided that a Tacoma is what you want then figure out the options you want and the price you want to pay and visit another dealership. I personally wouldn't waste my time bitching about a dealership but I sure wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

15. Jul 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    If you have another Toyota dealer ANYWHERE near you, call them and tell them about your experience with the other dealer. That usually cuts a lot of the bullshit right there. Tell them that you're not there to be fucked with. You just want to buy a try if someone is willing to sell you one.

I didnt have quit the same experience that you had. They fed me so much bullshit that I ended up leaving and going somewhere else and let their sales manager know why when she called asking how they could earn my business. My reply was to treat me with respect from the start.

Products Discussed in

To Top