2nd gen dual battery install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
badtoytrd is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Brock
badtoytrd's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen dual battery install

Well it seems I am following Barlowrs on his ideas so thanks to him but here is my Columbia Overland and National Luna with aux fuse block install.
I had installed this kit about a year ago but I was never happy with how the wiring was organized or where the aux fuse block was installed so I set out to fix it. I ordered so braided sleeving and heat shrink, went to West Marine for the cables and connectors and had a aluminum plate made up for the fuse block. I ended up having to splice the cable going from the engine to the battery so it would reach and look clean. Took my time and it turned out even better than I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd gen dual battery install-image.jpg   2nd gen dual battery install-image-2.jpg   2nd gen dual battery install-image-3.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you need a second battery?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f5sp View Post
More capacity for extra stuff like a winch, lights or a very large sound system.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Yah what is the wattage need for? I mean its cool and id be looking at doing it if i ended up installing the speakers and amps and subwoofers i wanted.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f5sp View Post
Second battery powers ARB frig, 12v to bed, gps, and any future 12v needs. Also a bit of piece of mind can use second battery to jumpstart primary battery in the event that it goes dead.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonTaco View Post
Clean install.

Welcome to TW, neighbor.
Thank you for the welcome.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Smoke2 is on a distinguished road

Smoke2's Tacoma Gallery
Great Job!
I should put a second battery in with an isolator.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome! Whoa, you're in the Seattle area too!! Hmmm, I've been wanting to do a dual battery setup but was reluctant since I wasn't too familiar on the wiring. Wanna help?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
That's awesome! Whoa, you're in the Seattle area too!! Hmmm, I've been wanting to do a dual battery setup but was reluctant since I wasn't too familiar on the wiring. Wanna help?
Sure.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Coast Guard:
Complete build and parts list

I had wanted to do full build but finally got around to posting it. Had alot of questions so I thought I would post parts list and tolls needed.

Parts needed

-Batteries
Odyssey PC1400 Amt needed: 2

-Columbia Overland dual battery tray
http://www.columbiaoverland.com/prod...l-battery-tray

-Custom made tray for aux fuse block

-Hardware for aux fuse block plate
M8-1.25, flat washers, and lockwashers for attaching plate to fender nutserts
1/4 x 20 allthread, nuts, locknut, flat washers, and lock washers to support end of plate

-National Luna dual battery kit
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...t_detail&p=543

-Military style battery connectors/terminals
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...uct_list&c=753

-Blue Sea aux fuse block
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...t_detail&p=550

-Blue Sea circuit breaker
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...t_detail&p=185

-Cables
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2#.UBm8zELsIdI

Red 2 AWG battery cable P/N: 233718 Amt needed: 6’
Black 2 AWG battery cable P/N: 233726 Amt needed: 6’
Red 4 AWG battery cable P/N: 179523 Amt needed: 3’
Black 4 AWG battery cable P/N: 214551 Amt needed: 3’

-Connectors/Lugs
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...8#.UBn6QELsIdJ

2AWG heavy duty butt connector P/N: 104259
2AWG heavy duty lug 3/8” stud P/N: 214163
2AWG heavy duty lug 5/16” stud P/N: 291146
2AWG heavy duty lug 1/4” stud P/N: 104309
4AWG heavy duty lug 3/8” stud P/N: 214254
4AWG heavy duty lug 5/16” stud P/N: 214247
4AWG heavy duty lug 1/4” stud P/N: 385799

-Braided Sleeving
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/braided...d-sleeving.htm

Red 3/8” PET braided sleeving P/N: BS0375 Ordered 100’ roll
Black 3/8” PET braided sleeving P/N: BS0375 Ordered 100’ roll

-Heat Shrink
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshr...lyolefin.htm#B

.4 Red 3:1 heavy wall adhesive lined heatshrink Amt needed: 4’ piece
.4 Black 3:1 heavy wall adhesive lined heatshrink Amt needed: 4’ piece

Tools Needed

-Heat gun

-Lug/terminal crimper
http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraul...ool-66150.html

-Lighter/torch/hot knife to cut braided sleeving

-Assorted screwdrivers and wrenches

1. Mounted both batteries and Columbia Overland dual battery tray.

2. Mounted dual battery solenoid.

3. Ran controller cable beneath dash and along center console.

4. Spliced engine harness cable that runs to primary battery using 2AWG butt splice then covered with heat shrink for protection.

Where I spliced positive engine connection to primary battery.

5. Mounted fuse block plate with M8-1.25 to fender nutserts. I had to support end with 1/4 x 20 all thread connected to hole drilled through fender.

Bottom of plate. Locknut and flat washer supporting plate.

Fenderwell where all thread comes through.

6. Mounted aux fuse block and circuit breaker. Labeled 12V connections.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
coulter6 is on a distinguished road
coulter6's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking install, very clean and professional looking.

What model Taco do you have?

I have an 06 TRD Off Road with an 130A alternator and was wondering if the Nat'l Luna kit would work with it.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter6 View Post
Great looking install, very clean and professional looking.

What model Taco do you have?

I have an 06 TRD Off Road with an 130A alternator and was wondering if the Nat'l Luna kit would work with it.
The NL kit will work in any car.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
skippermike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
skippermike's Tacoma Gallery
2nd battery

Very nice installation.
As an alternative in a DC, especially if loads are in cab or bed, is to put a thin, taller AGM battery with an intelligent combiner/isolator behind the rear passenger side seatback. Very easy installation. Also easy to install inverter behind rear driver side seatback, with extra 12v outlets.
As OP suggested, use Blue Sea components, easily available at West Marine. They are good quality and have excellent tech support.
My primary reason for installing a second battery is that we are often parked for hours with VHF radio on, 12v spotlight, 110v halogen work light, chargers for handheld radio, phones and sat phone, etc. - and don't want to wear down engine battery!
Good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Sub, good ish
Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Very very clean install

just out of curiosity did you change the alternator to handle the load of the extra battery?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Now that is one professional looking job, well done sir!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
Tbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shedTbird is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
Tbird's Tacoma Gallery
WOW...very nicely executed. I appreciate the step-by-step and the sources for all the components. I'll probably mimic all you've done and end up with a very similar system.

Products Discussed in this Thread