1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Throw out bearing fix?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hladun, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Jul 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    hladun

hladun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    My 2008Tacoma is making the TO bearing noise I’ve read about in other posts. I’d like to explain what I think the problem is and see if anyone has approached it this way.

On old slave cylinder setups there was an adjustable rod and return spring which meant that the TO bearing did not touch the clutch fingers when the clutch was not depressed. This meant that the TO bearing did not rotate until, and only when, the clutch pedal was depressed. This meant that the slave cylinder rod had to be adjusted from time to time to take up disc wear. To make the slave cylinder not require adjustment this arrangement has been dropped. What that means is the TO bearing is always turning. This adds greatly to bearing wear and bearings don’t like to run under light load as happens here.

So has anyone tried a mod on the slave cylinder to add a return spring so the TO bearing is not always turning?

Products Discussed in

To Top