1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Wheel Bearings (2wd)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by channelcat, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Jul 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    channelcat

channelcat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    murphy, tx
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma prerunner

I'm new to this site and have found a lot on 4wd front wheelbearing replacement but nothing on 2wd front wheel bearing replacement. My 2007Pre-Runner has made a low frequency whining sound for the last 30K miles butdoes not get worse and absolutely no play in the wheels off the ground (tightas they can be). The dealer told me that was as normal as the rear axle"un-torqueing clunk" it has made since it was new sometimes when youcome to a sudden stop (I'm sure all you guys have experienced that). Recently,I have noticed that when I make a right curve on the highway, the whining soundgoes completely away until I straighten out the steering wheel and then thesound comes back. I recently replaced two bad u-joints (front & back) thatwas causing a vibration & some sound (felt in the floor boards) and I amfairly sure this a bad wheel bearing or bad hub assembly, but I need to know ifanyone out there has replaced the hub assy or bearings in a 2wd Tacoma. Ilooked at a new hub assy at O'Reilly's and it looked like you could not get thebearing out of the 4-bolt hub assy as it all looked like one piece of steel.Can you press new bearings into the 4-bolt hub or is it all one assembly (for a2wd)?

2. Jul 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    YotaMatt

YotaMatt Livin Low, Ridin High

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    West Point VA
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    Spidertraxx 1.25" spacers in front and rear, 4" Maxtrac Spindles,Billy 5100s at 0", OME 885 Springs, 1/4" top spacer on both sides, 1.5" AAL, 3" Block, 1.5" 4crawler driveshaft spacer, 17x9 XD Spys with 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers, Magnaflow offroad Stainless Exhaust, Volant Intake with scoop,Camo emblems, BHLM, Tinted tailights, Anytime fog mod,Alpine Type R 12, Kicker 1000 watt amp,600 watt 4 channel memphis and all memphis components, 35%tint front all the rest at 5%, Hella 500s with sylvania zxe bulbs, sylvania zxe headlights, sylvania zxe fogs, Weathertech digi fits, flyzeye blue/white, LED map dome license plate lights, Redline hood struts, Tailgate EZ Down, Custom TRD Camo Browning Edition Bedsides, Camo wet okoles, Ridgid Dually bed lights, SOS Concepts Tire Carrier
    Entire hub assembly...real easy to change though... Remove caliper and rotor, then remove 4 bolts holding it on, slides right out then bolt new one in

3. Jul 30, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    channelcat

channelcat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    murphy, tx
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma prerunner
    Thanks, but I think I just answered my own question. I have an electronic factory manual and in the attachment showing the 2wd version, all you have to do is press out the bad bearing and press in a new one (like older trucks). Apparently, the 4-bolt hub assembly is on 4wd tacomas only. 2wd has standard setup, somewhat.

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top