LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trying to add temperature/compass overhead console

Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
raythys is on a distinguished road
raythys's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to add temperature/compass overhead console

My 2011 Toyota Tacoma did not come with a compass/temperature overhead console. I recently purchased a compass/temperature overhead console off of e-bay that will slip into my 2011 Toyota Tacoma. My Tacoma has the wiring harness for the compass/temperature unit. I pulled out the the current overhead console and plugged the wires into the map light and the compass/temperature unit and it does not work. I checked under the hood and there is a sensor unit on the wire that I was told was the sensor unit for the temperature unit. My map lights work. My question is whether there is a fuse that I need to insert to make the compass/temperature unit work? I was under the impression if the wiring harness and sending unit was in the truck all I had to do is snap a compass/temperature unit in and it should work.

Any Ideas?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
davelac will become famous soon enough
davelac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythys View Post
My 2011 Toyota Tacoma did not come with a compass/temperature overhead console. I recently purchased a compass/temperature overhead console off of e-bay that will slip into my 2011 Toyota Tacoma. My Tacoma has the wiring harness for the compass/temperature unit. I pulled out the the current overhead console and plugged the wires into the map light and the compass/temperature unit and it does not work. I checked under the hood and there is a sensor unit on the wire that I was told was the sensor unit for the temperature unit. My map lights work. My question is whether there is a fuse that I need to insert to make the compass/temperature unit work? I was under the impression if the wiring harness and sending unit was in the truck all I had to do is snap a compass/temperature unit in and it should work.

Any Ideas?
Where on eBay did you find it? I'm interested in this mod also.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
raythys's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

You are right. I took the one from ebay to the dealership and they told me it was out of a 2006. I contacted the seller and he is going to return my money as soon as I ship it back. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Anyone know where I can purchase a grey color overhead console with compass and temperature that will go into a 2011 Tacoma extended cab?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold

709GADE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are right. I took the one from ebay to the dealership and they told me it was out of a 2006. I contacted the seller and he is going to return my money as soon as I ship it back. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Anyone know where I can purchase a grey color overhead console with compass and temperature that will go into a 2011 Tacoma extended cab?
That's good news, keep looking in the buy/sell section every so often one will be for sale.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any Ideas?
how much did you pay, just curious?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
raythys's Tacoma Gallery
Cost

I spent $220
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any Ideas?
If your 2011 is a 6 cylinder sr5, the '09-'11 console will work. If its a 4 cylinder (including double cab prerunners) then you're going to have some problems.

I recently purchased a 2011 console with 2011 part numbers and when plugged in the compass showed direction, the map lights work although the temp reads F ---. I may have to determine which pins would require a New temp sensor run to the grill area from the console location. The wiring harness including the sensor looks identical to that of a V6 truck.

The 09-11 models are way harder to acquire, from what I understand you could buy the '08 console (without the 1-year search) for less and run your own wires.

Kinda the same thing I'm going to do with the '11 console in a '11 4 Cyl (prerunner).