Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Bed Rack Built Finally!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
K Dog is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Bed Rack Built Finally!

So for a while now ive been wanting a Bed rack but nothing I have seen fits all of my wants.

1. Full Headache Rack
2. Back Bar
3. D-rings Along the bed side, Headache Rack and Back Bar
4. Light tabs on Side of rack

The reasons why i need these is because Down here in South Texas, I do alot of fishing/camping Along the Padre island National Seashore. I had to have space for all of my Crap and My kayak took up alot of that.

I recently got a front hitch made for the Front bumper to attach this bad boy
Surf Mate Rod/Cooler Rack

This is the only picture i have of it but it is mounted on the front now

This rack put me into a dilemma because the width of it puts the sides right in front of my headlights and with a 120 quart cooler and 8 rods in the front. It knocks down my light output to about 25%. I pretty much cant see shit at night.

SOO i needed lights but i cant put them on my bumper because thats where my rack is, also i cant put them on top because my kayak goes up there so i needed to put them somewhere.

I decided to mount them on the Side of the Headache rack

Let me know what you think

I have a set of Hella 700ff Driving lights ready to be put on

Only concern is how well the lights are going to work at the spot on the truck
Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
My only concern with the lights on the side of the headache rack like that is the possibility of them reflecting off your side view mirrors into your face.

Otherwise, the rest of the rack looks good!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
well done, that looks like a very nicely built rack. however, with the lights on the side of the headache rack like that, you're going to blind yourself via the side view mirrors as soon as you turn them on. you could mount them on top of the rack and build a cage around them that is strong enough to support your kayak.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Could you mount the lights on the cooler/fishing pole holder thing? That way the lights would be on the front, where you want them. Maybe use a trailer wire connector so you can plug/un plug them easily when you remove the cooler/fishing pole holder.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #6

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
My only concern with the lights on the side of the headache rack like that is the possibility of them reflecting off your side view mirrors into your face.

Otherwise, the rest of the rack looks good!
Im just going to fold the mirrors in while in use, Only going to be turned on when offroad anyways
Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #7

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
Could you mount the lights on the cooler/fishing pole holder thing? That way the lights would be on the front, where you want them. Maybe use a trailer wire connector so you can plug/un plug them easily when you remove the cooler/fishing pole holder.

I Really like that idea!! Might think about doing something like that for some extra light straight ahead
Old 07-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . Very nice indeed . . .
Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
WestonJ is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Weston
WestonJ's Tacoma Gallery
Badass Kevin! ill have to check it out after its installed. are you going to rhino line it or what? our salt air would murder all that in about a week haha
Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #10

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Its just going to be painted for now but im thinking about getting it powdercoated later, either that or Rhino Line it not sure which one will hold up better/longer
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dog View Post
Its just going to be painted for now but im thinking about getting it powdercoated later, either that or Rhino Line it not sure which one will hold up better/longer
Its probably debatable on which one will hold up longer, but I htink Rhino Liner is probably better for your application, and touch up is easy if it gets nicked or scratched. Just use the do-it-yourself cans of bedliner for touch up.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #12

K Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got this pics of her installed now

Once I finished installing the lights i just had to take them out for a test run

Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
WestonJ is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Weston
WestonJ's Tacoma Gallery
duuuuudddeeeeeeee. that is badass. you are starting to put my truck to shame haha yours just needs the lift
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Looks good! How do you like the lights mounted on the side like that?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
I like the rack. Lights look good also. Good work man. I've tied a tarp to my old trucks rack to use as shade at bigshell.let the sea breeze catch it.