1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back up light upgrade/blowing fuse...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SamsOutdoorsman, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    SamsOutdoorsman

SamsOutdoorsman [OP] Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD, Sport
    GoRhino Light Bar, PIAA Driving lights, PIAA Fog Lights, HID Driving lights,BOSCH horns (dual tone), Magnaflow muffler, K&N Cold Air, Aries Bull bar, Aries nerf bar
    About a month ago i have added two 55W back up lights to light up the dark when out in wilderness.... Connected directly to the factory originals, (one at a time to see if any fuse will blow) All was good, no fuse blown...so i have not ran any separate wires.
    Yesterday, as i was trying to back up, started up the car, tried to put on reverse- the shifter was stuck in "P". I figure that the solenoid which is powered through brake pedal would not disengage "release" the shifter. So, depressed the release knob (the manual override button on the upper left corner) and was on my way to my mechanic shop. While driving, i've noticed that turning signals, AC and back up lights are dead also. Humm...as if that was not enough, while driving on HWY, got to 65Mph and noticed that i am stuck on the last gear about 2700 rpm and my overdrive mode was not working. So, made it to my mechanic, we looked up the "check engine light" code, and traced the problem down to the 10Amp mini fuse. Replaced the fuse- all back to normal!
    Today- same thing happened!
    Now i am concerned. I was wondering if the 10amp mini fuse for back up light is in circuit with AC, Turning signals, and the shifter solenoid..and is it possible that i am overloading it ...or i should look for the problem somewhere else? But whey i am questioning the "theory" because if i am overloading the fuse, then it should popp right away not after a month...?

Any idea guys?

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It's the brake light circuit that provides power to get the shifter to unlock. Should be separate from the backup lights.

Got any aftermarket things installed that tap the brake light circuit? Campershell with third brake light? Aftermarket towing harness? That's the wiring for the shift interlock. Don't see how reverse lights affect that.

3. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    lipster

lipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 3.4 auto TRD
    License plate frame
    Sure. 55wats x 2 is 110 watts.
    110 watts /12 volts is 9.2 amps.
    That is why your fuse is melting.
    The engineers who designed that circuit did not design it for headlights. You will have to run a relay.

4. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    SamsOutdoorsman

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD, Sport
    GoRhino Light Bar, PIAA Driving lights, PIAA Fog Lights, HID Driving lights,BOSCH horns (dual tone), Magnaflow muffler, K&N Cold Air, Aries Bull bar, Aries nerf bar
    Joes, thanks for your input. No actually i have nothing connected to brake lights circuit.

5. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    SamsOutdoorsman

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD, Sport
    The formula is correct :) and yes, engineers have a fuse in a place to prevent overload. But first of all, why after a month? Second, if that fuse blows, is it in circuit with the rest of things that were affected? back up lights, turning signal lights, AC and the shifter solenoid

6. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I can't find the right wiring diagram on TTORA that will show everything that's on the IG1 fuse. According to the backup light wiring diagram, that's the fuse involved. Since a pair of 55w lights draws 10 amps on it's own, you've got a definite overload condition.

If the whole truck works perfect after replacing that fuse, then I'd rewire your aux lights and call it a day.

No clue why it worked okay for a month, except perhaps it takes awhile for that fuse to blow when it's only an amp or two over the rating.

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    SamsOutdoorsman

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD, Sport
    I think i will just disconnect the aux. lights replace the fuse and call it a day. But for the sake of "finding some answers" i may just shorten one of factory lights and see if i can reproduce the same...
    If so, then i will for sure ran a separate wire w/relay.

Thanks guys. I will add some comments later after my experiments. (or pictures with burning truck :)

8. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    same thing happened to me...the shidting thing....all i had to do was replace the brake lamp fuse

Products Discussed in

To Top