1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mods and the manufacturer's warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atea, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    grille painted to match body color (black sand pearl), bed mat, intermittent wipers installed, 14" shorty antenna.
    Have 2009 Tacoma reg. cab. Was planning to replace my 2-speed wipers with intermittent wipers. I called Toyota Customer Service (800-331-4331) today and spoke to a Ms. Lawanda. I called Customer Service to get clarification on the intermittent wiper switch part. I asked if the stalk that works on the 05s to 08s would also work on the 09s. I explained that there was an issue with the 09s as far as running backwards (interval selector/operation) and that I wanted to get the right part. Ms. Lawanda came back to me after a few minutes and informed me that if the part was not installed in my vehicle by the factory then any modification done thereafter would void the warranty. I asked her to double check on this and she subsequently confirmed that this was the case. My local dealer (service) pretty much said the same thing. Now I need to decide whether to proceed with this mod or not. How do you folks feel about this issue in general? Do you all know about mods and the manufacturer's warranty? Comments?

2. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    There is a court ruling out there somewhere (search this forum and you'll find it - nubmer of places) that says the manufacturer has to PROVE that the part you replaced caused the problem. If it's the part itself, of course, they won't cover it. But, if you replace the wiper stalk and the stering wheel quits working (or something) they have to prove that the stalk caused the problem.

3. Jan 8, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    1 bad tacoma

1 bad tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    rustburg Va
    Vehicle:
    05 trdsport 4x4
    grapics, 6" fabtech lift, volant intake with ram air scoop, cleared head lights, chrome kit, westin bull bar and steps, custom toyota emblem, throttle body spacer, flomaster 40 series, dick cepeck black and sliver dc1s, trd seat covers, thrid brake light cover, chrome tail lights
    my dealership told me that i could do njust about anything to my truck that i wanted and it wouldn't void the warranty except for the motor coolant

4. Jan 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't know about that.....depends on the situation.

For those folks who do the 'grey wire mod' where the locker can be used in
    2WD ....If you bust up some axle shafts or even the locker itself....because you were running the locker in 2WD Hi - they could certainly deny you warrantee coverage because the 'safety mechanism' was defeated (so to speak).

5. Jan 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This is wrong. In fact, it's not legal for them to even say that. That's called a "tie-in". "If you don't use our part, our service, it will void your warranty." If they're making that claim then they have to provide you the part for free. The only way they can deny a warranty claim is to "PROVE" that the object caused the defect. It would also have to be relevant (e.g. windshield wiper motor goes bad). For example, they couldn't deny your suspension warranty because of a faulty wiper stalk. Consumers are protected by federal law (Magnuson Moss act).

http://www.bestcaraudio.com/will-an-after-market-installation-void-my-vehicles-warranty/

6. Jan 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    well put robrjohson

7. Jan 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    x2...

8. Jan 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    well said

9. Jan 8, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    That's a flat out lie. Robrjohnson linked to the Magnusson-Moss Federal Warranty Act which covers this. There's also good info here on the SEMA site: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128 Ms Lawanda needs to get her head out of her ass.

10. Jan 9, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    atea

atea [OP] Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    grille painted to match body color (black sand pearl), bed mat, intermittent wipers installed, 14" shorty antenna.
    Thanks all for your comments. I can now make a more informed decision. Much appreciated.

11. Jan 9, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    I was thinking about doin this mod to, i just found it on the cheap/free mod thread, im probly just gonna go for it

Products Discussed in

To Top