LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Draining the oil filter - tubing size

Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Thundjet is on a distinguished road
Thundjet's Tacoma Gallery
Draining the oil filter - tubing size

What size tubing do you need to put on that nipple under the oil filter holder so you can drain it directly to the pan?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
legga400 is on a distinguished road
legga400's Tacoma Gallery
5/16 vinyl tubing I believe... 4 and 1/2 ft should be good. bought mine at Lowes for a buck 50
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Wow, $50! I just hold a plastic cup underneath it.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit... He said $1.50 (a buck 50).

I just use a 20 oz soda bottle. It wedges underneath the drain plug quite nicely.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I just use a 20 oz soda bottle. It wedges underneath the drain plug quite nicely.
ha, no it isn't but a plastic cup is like 20 for a dollar.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
ha, no it isn't but a plastic cup is like 20 for a dollar.
Sorry, I had to throw a jab at that one

I hear ya, I've been reusing the same Pepsi bottle for years now. The 20 oz bottles wedge in nicely under the drain plug and I can't remember what's below it to support the bottom but it's a hands-free operation.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I hear ya, I've been reusing the same Pepsi bottle for years now. The 20 oz bottles wedge in nicely under the drain plug and I can't remember what's below it to support the bottom but it's a hands-free operation.
I speed read at times and get mild dyslexic. I believe the alternator is below the oil filter.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

some kind of pulley ... i use a bottle as well for the past so many years.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
jdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of light
jdm.obp's Tacoma Gallery
wouldn't it be messier if you unplug it and plugged the plastic tubing in there? I also use the bottle method and not one drop has been missed.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i used an empty seafoam can
Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
empty water bottle works perfect.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm.obp View Post
wouldn't it be messier if you unplug it and plugged the plastic tubing in there? I also use the bottle method and not one drop has been missed.
It's a permanent install useing a hose clamp. After it drains i cap off the end with a plastic plug...never had one drop of oil on the driveway. I've used the bottle method...the tube wins hands down!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
It's a permanent install useing a hose clamp. After it drains i cap off the end with a plastic plug...never had one drop of oil on the driveway. I've used the bottle method...the tube wins hands down!
I'd have to disagree.

Why have the tube there, especially perminate? when you can remove the little plug...place bottle...change filter...let the small amount of oil go into the bottle...clean filter scupper...replace plug...empty bottle...dispose bottle.

clean...easy...done.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
empty water bottle works perfect.
this^^

cap it and toss it in the box that goes to the hazmat collection center..zero fuss..

hose? forget it..drink water, place under nipple, crack loose filter..let it drain. crawl under, and do the drain plug..reverse, put work glove over now drained and dry old filter..reverse. super easy..i wouldnt fuck with a hose.

but it could work fine..more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'd have to disagree.

Why have the tube there, especially perminate? when you can remove the little plug...place bottle...change filter...let the small amount of oil go into the bottle...clean filter scupper...replace plug...empty bottle...dispose bottle.

clean...easy...done.
Have you ever even tried the hose method? Believe me...i've tried both and the hose is soo much less work. I've read alot of stories here where the bottles get left in place after the oil change and makes one hell of a mess...can't happen with the hose. With the hose you empty the drained oil from a pan...that's it. No need to remove the plug, find a bottle, place the bottle, replace plug, empty bottle, and dispose of bottle.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Have you ever even tried the hose method? Believe me...i've tried both and the hose is soo much less work. I've read alot of stories here where the bottles get left in place after the oil change and makes one hell of a mess...can't happen with the hose. With the hose you empty the drained oil from a pan...that's it.
yes

I did the hose method my 1st Tacoma oil change. although I did not mount it perminate.

it was a PITA. when done you're left with a hose filled with oil residue, that slowly leaks out into a can to be delt with later.

I promise you...the bottle method is simplier and cleaner.

and, if someone leaves the bottle in place after changing the oil...that individual probably should not be doing their own oil change to begin with.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
yes

I did the hose method my 1st Tacoma oil change. although I did not mount it perminate.

it was a PITA. when done you're left with a hose filled with oil residue, that slowly leaks out into a can to be delt with later.
I promise you...the bottle method is simplier and cleaner.

and, if someone leaves the bottle in place after changing the oil...that individual probably should not be doing their own oil change to begin with.
^ Understandable, i wouldn't use the hose either if i had to take it off after every oil change...that just doesn't make sense. Try it permanently installed and cap it off after it's done draining...absolutly no mess and not one drop on the driveway in 5 years.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
sprocketgti3 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE technician, USAFADS, 40th CAMS, Hickam AFB. Nellis AFB, Aviano AFB, Chanute AFB,
Name: Todd
sprocketgti3's Tacoma Gallery
Use a 5/16" fuel line hose(oil safe). Then after R2 the filter, spray down filter catch and hose with electronic or plastic safe cleaner. No muss no fuss & no driveway drips.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
i would be uncomfortable leaving a permanent hose there. Bottl works just fine for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Stalker View Post
i would be uncomfortable leaving a permanent hose there. Bottl works just fine for me.
^^^