Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Experience with locking fuel caps? - Step Inside

View Poll Results: Which locking fuel cap do you have and what has been your experience?
Stant locking fuel cap - no problems at all 41 68.33%
Stant locking fuel cap - check engine light problems 4 6.67%
Stant locking fuel cap - removal or lock/unlocking problems 2 3.33%
CST/Murray locking fuel cap - no problems at all 3 5.00%
CST/Murray locking fuel cap - check engine light problems 1 1.67%
CST/Murray locking fuel cap - removal or lock/unlocking problems 0 0%
Other locking fuel cap - no problems at all 6 10.00%
Other locking fuel cap - check engine light problems 1 1.67%
Other locking fuel cap - removal or lock/unlocking problems 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Experience with locking fuel caps? - Step Inside

I am looking to get a locking fuel cap and from all the threads on this forum (about 6 or so regarding this topic) no one has a poll yet. I thought I would get a poll going and request that we limit the comments to only those people that have had experience with locking gas caps.

So answer the poll (if applicable) and let us know your thoughts (good and bad) about the product. Hopefully we can use this for any future updates to the locking fuel cap market and differences in between all the 2nd gen years.

Stant Locking Cap

CST/Murray Locking Cap

Thanks TW!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
In4sub
Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
This: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-question.html

This: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ari...-gas-caps.html

I went with Fram . it was clearanced at $3.50 @ Target. 2 years no problems - NO CEL ETC.
It does take a little getting used to.

On the poll , I picked other - No Problems to date.

I'm a 2008 TRD . Nuge Hunt machine

AZ
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I was stubborn enough to order Toyota PN C0170-00020 from a Canadian dealer for $20 back in the day, though now I suspect it may be a Stant:

Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I was stubborn enough to order Toyota PN C0170-00020 from a Canadian dealer for $20 back in the day, though now I suspect it may be a Stant:

Had the same one on my 01Taco, until I lost the key. When I found out I lost it I was at a pump and I yelled a few expletives. The guy on the other side of the pump said "Ah man, those are no big deal." He stuck his house key in it and opened it w/o even damaging it. That was it for me and locking gas caps
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

That is a Stant. I saw your post about the Canadian part number and inquired about it.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has held up so far after two years and 73 fill-ups. No CELs and no lock malfunctions. I am not always in a clear state of mind when filling up, so I've unintentionally tried jabbing other keys on my keychain (house keys, PopNLock key, car key...) into the cap without success.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
That is a Stant. I saw your post about the Canadian part number and inquired about it.
Yep. I took a closer look at my cap and the Stant stylized "S" logo is clearly evident:

So there you have it, Stant is OEM quality, for what it's worth.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I believe mine is Stant, purchased from Napa. Never a problem.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Stant . Never had a problem running them in 15 years of automobiles.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have heard bad thing about Stant. I went with Murray.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
Had a stant on my tundra for 2 years...no issues. This time with my new Tacoma, I jumped on the Murray bandwagon with a lot of other people here, and found it feels like it locks better, maybe a little better quality cap. But a piece of shit key. I hate the black plastic shit on the key, I'm going to file it down and see if it's a complete metal key that will go on my key ring and not take up so much key ring real estate. The stant key I had was a slim metal key, and I was able to master the stant personality of that cap. This Murray key feels so cheap I would bet that it's only half metal and half plastic. Anyone else grind their Murray key down?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Stant here. No issues, have had it for 3 yrs now on 2 different trucks.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #14

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to add myself to the Stant list and let everyone know my thoughts. While researching this topic I found someone who had replaced the stock cap with a locking cap by disassembling both the stock cap and the stant cap. Apparently he did it without any modification to the parts. I will take a look myself when I have both caps in front of me and update you guys on possibly using the oem cap, just with a locking mechanism.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
On my last car I used a stant locking cap till I found if you twist hard enough without the key the locking tabs will break off and then it's just a regular cap..
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxfan1 View Post
On my last car I used a stant locking cap till I found if you twist hard enough without the key the locking tabs will break off and then it's just a regular cap..
That's exactly what I heard. Also something about being able to undo them just by pushing down hard.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind there are two kinds of gas caps used on Tacos. '08 and earlier (I think) had the 1/4-turn cap. '09 and later have the conventional threaded cap. The 1/4-turn style is more difficult to design a reliable locking mechanism for.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #18

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Update: had the stant cap on for about 500 miles on my 2010 AC 4x4 with zero issues. Appears to be good quality and I like the smaller key. I would recommend the stant cap for others.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
Update: had the stant cap on for about 500 miles on my 2010 AC 4x4 with zero issues. Appears to be good quality and I like the smaller key. I would recommend the stant cap for others.
After locking it have you tried to remove it by pushing down and twisting it? The first Stant i had came right off when locked... no $#&% key needed!! The second one had something come loose inside and it quit working after a year. The Murray has been on for 3 or 4 years now with zero issues.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #20

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
After locking it have you tried to remove it by pushing down and twisting it? The first Stant i had came right off when locked... no $#&% key needed!! The second one had something come loose inside and it quit working after a year. The Murray has been on for 3 or 4 years now with zero issues.
I have tried actually and I am impressed with the cap. More so because I had low expectations for it. About 10k now and no issues with CEL or removal.