Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Camburg Ball Joint UCAs vs LR Adjustable UCAs

Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg Ball Joint UCAs vs LR Adjustable UCAs

Trying to decide, I need some UCAs, and after shipping I can get either of these for the same price: $400. I have an extra set of stock UCAs (~6k miles) so the fact that the Camburg's dont come with Ball Joints is a non-issue. I also have access to a press so installing the ball joint is also easy.

For the LR they are nice because they have the ball joint with them and they are adjustable. Worried that the adjustability will be the downfall or could come loose. Sounds like there was a design change to solve the bushing issues too.

The Camburgs are nice because they are simple, no moving parts for the moron doing the alignment. I am concerned that the ball joint could come out, but that should be very unlikely.

I am not able to swing for the uni-ball ones unless I find a used pair for $400 or less by the weekend or so.

I see tons of folks with the LR ones, and no issues, but the Camburgs have a draw to them for simplicity and the name sake. I would order the LR from Fat Bobs and the Camburgs would come from DSM.

ETA: Which would you go with and why? Seems like the Camburgs are relatively new, so more folks have the LRs.

ETA: I have a TRD Off Road 2nd Gen DC SB with 5100s in the front set at 0.85 with eibachs. So about 2.5"+ of total lift in the front, on factory wheels, maybe bigger tires soon. I dont want to rub on UCAs on the bigger tires. I also need caster and camber increases, so if the Camburgs wont give me more camber then that makes my mind up quick.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Uniball is stronger, no need for adjustability because the design of the arms and the misalignment spacers of the uniball allow for correct alignment.

Uniball, always, if given the choice.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Uniball is stronger, no need for adjustability because the design of the arms and the misalignment spacers of the uniball allow for correct alignment.

Uniball, always, if given the choice.
Not the question... I am not able to spend the extra $300 for that, and the "stronger" part is really not needed, my offroading is minor and mild at best.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There is not a single question mark in your entire OP. What is it exactly that you want to know?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

Well, you have my answer.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Not sure how much newere the Camburg is than the LR. Seems to me they've both been around long enough. I think the appeal of the LR is that you don't have to go through the work of switching out the ball joint and if I'm not mistaken, the ball joint in the LR is reported to be a little stronger than stock.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
Not sure how much newere the Camburg is than the LR. Seems to me they've both been around long enough. I think the appeal of the LR is that you don't have to go through the work of switching out the ball joint and if I'm not mistaken, the ball joint in the LR is reported to be a little stronger than stock.
...Don't have to swap any balljoints with camburg either...the entire UCA gets replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if LR is beefier.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
LR have some adjustability

Camburgs look prettier?

My camburgs came with ball joints pressed in already so were straight bolt in
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW you can replace the ball joints on the LR UCAs pretty damn quick and easy, all you do is unbolt it top and bottom and swap in a new one. I like that feature too.

Also I know you like the name Camburg but SPC is a pretty big name in alignment parts. Lot's of shops will replace oem parts with SPC. Just FYI.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Are we talking about the ball joint Camburg or the uni-ball Camburg UCA? When I was researching UCAs, it seemed tha their uni-ball UCA comes with the ball, but the ball joint UCA uses the ball joint from your stock UCA. For example:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upcamburgcotaco.htm

FWIW, I gave the Camburgs some serious consideration before I went with the Desert Industries UCA. No particular reason except I was infatuated with the UCAs I purchased.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Trying to decide, I need some UCAs, and after shipping I can get either of these for the same price: $400. I have an extra set of stock UCAs (~6k miles) so the fact that the Camburg's dont come with Ball Joints is a non-issue. I also have access to a press so installing the ball joint is also easy.
^^^
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
They're not going to adjust the LRs, unless you pay a custom alignment shop lots of money, that's my opinion anyway. You'll have to set them, then let the shop deal with the LCA cams to dial it all in.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
jordanmcqueen is on a distinguished road
Name: jordan
jordanmcqueen's Tacoma Gallery
How important are new UCA's when putting a three inch lift kit on?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmcqueen View Post
How important are new UCA's when putting a three inch lift kit on?
Depends how perfect you want your alignment to be
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Id get the camburgs if you dont mind going to a shop to press in the ball joints. The camburgs seem beefier in my opinion. I the camburg uniballs and my friend had the uniball version. The construction is nearly exactly the same. That and they dont have the bushing problems. Ya. Id go with the camburgs. Just dont get moog ball joints because they wont fit. They warn you on camburgs site.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
yotas4life is a name known to allyotas4life is a name known to allyotas4life is a name known to allyotas4life is a name known to allyotas4life is a name known to allyotas4life is a name known to all

Name: Alex
yotas4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Id get the camburgs if you dont mind going to a shop to press in the ball joints. The camburgs seem beefier in my opinion. I the camburg uniballs and my friend had the uniball version. The construction is nearly exactly the same. That and they dont have the bushing problems. Ya. Id go with the camburgs. Just dont get moog ball joints because they wont fit. They warn you on camburgs site.
I just replaced my lower ball joints on my taco last week and was actually getting ready to order camburg ucas. If I get a different upper ball joint (keep moog as my lower ball joints ) will that work? Or dos the lower and upper ball joint have to be the same for them to work on camburgs ucas
Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
I like my truck!
1tacoplease is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT - ret.
1tacoplease's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running g 5100's in the front set at the highest. Don't really notice any issues. Are getting UCA's necessary?