Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New truck,weird smell??

Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Samstacoma is on a distinguished road
Samstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Talking New truck,weird smell??

I hope someone can help,i have only 4000 miles on my new truck and everytime I tow my 2600 pound boat there is a burning smell that I associated with the truckbeing new but hasn't went away yey..i have the v6 with the towing package from factory, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstacoma View Post
I hope someone can help,i have only 4000 miles on my new truck and everytime I tow my 2600 pound boat there is a burning smell that I associated with the truckbeing new but hasn't went away yey..i have the v6 with the towing package from factory, any help would be greatly appreciated
That doesn't sound normal. I know some new cars have that burning smell from the everything breaking in, but it shouldn't only happen when towing. Have you talked to your dealership about it yet?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
You got me, I understand the burning smell, burning off paint being new but after 4k I would think it would be gone by now.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
maybe the trailer wiring harness burning up for some reason?
This is a good idea, wouldn't have thought of that. Hopefully that's not it, because that could be bad.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Auto or manual?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
5 speed auto,and it seems to be stronger smell from the passenger side.and I am pretty sure it isnt the wiring
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
could it possibly be the brakes?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Well then my next guess would be something is rubbing or heating up in the rear suspension/tires. If you say you only smell it when towing, could make sense since the rear of the truck will sag a bit. I know 2600lbs isn't much, but it's worth checking out.

Best bet is to have your dealer look at it.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
I guess it is possible,but I dont know why it would be. I have trailer brake!!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstacoma View Post
If you have an automatic this smell is not normal.
Pull over and inspect the vehicle. 4000 miles....it
has been broken in.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
I havent talked to the dealer yet, dont want to look stupid going in there with no info! But I do have an appointment for this sat..
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Well then my next guess would be something is rubbing or heating up in the rear suspension/tires. If you say you only smell it when towing, could make sense since the rear of the truck will sag a bit. I know 2600lbs isn't much, but it's worth checking out.

Best bet is to have your dealer look at it.
exactly what i was going to get to. possibly a misaligned brake or tire may rub when the back sags.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
It's the new tires burning with extra weight
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
I have inspected a hundred time no leaks or signs of oil!!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Burning the catalytic converter maybe? Does it smell like rotten eggs?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
The brake thing sound interesting but im sure the tire isn't rubbing
Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
Nope,not eggs.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #19

You also wouldnt know that the brakes are sticking cause youd think the trailer is what is just holding you back. I had a similar problem with my jeep.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachc113 View Post
You also wouldnt know that the brakes are sticking cause youd think the trailer is what is just holding you back. I had a similar problem with my jeep.
He'd smell it all the time if this were the case, I'd think.

I wonder if the sagging of the rear end is pinching down the parking brake cable somewhere and causing it to not fully disengage, thus resulting in the smell from one side??