1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL install gone wrong...where did I screw up?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by The Traveler, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    So I got my Toytec AAL from FedEx today earlier than expected and decided to go home and install it using the three DIY's I found for 2nd gen AAL install.

Following Eric's (RelentlessTaco) write up, I got the truck in the air, supported the axle, took off the wheels, shock, brake line bracket, U-bolts and bracket (front U-bolts came off BY HAND :eek: ) and bump stop.

I got a c-clamp around the 3 leafs (non-TSB), and proceeded to remove the centering pin. It seemed it kept spinning and spinning and spinning with no progress, until finally, the nut just backed off the threaded pin. Now what? I loosened the C-clamp, and the springs settled further down the pin, but never came off. I tried raising the truck with a floor jack under the receiver hitch to bow the springs, but no success.

How does the pin come off? Is there a bottom piece I need to hold and undo the top nut? Does the whole thing just back out the top of the leaf and come out? I was very confused, so I took some photos, put the nut back on as far as it will go, and put everything back together. Truck is driving fine, but the nut on the centering pin did not go back down all the way. It will only get halfway through the nut, and then just keep spinning the together with the pin and not tighten.

Regardless, I'm taking my truck to my friend's shop tomorrow since he has a lift and can drop the axle easier.

Here's the write up I followed. Not much detail on how to remove the pin.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/31118-how-install-add-leaf-w-pics.html

Any tips or directions are greatly appreciated :eek:

Pics:

This is as far as I could lift the truck with the axle on stands. My 7000lb jack was completely topped out.

photo6_b2b1bbca90ff8fc16f3eab4f05c05a5f55781113.jpg

This is the nut that came off the top of the centering pin, and the pin itself poking through the top leaf. This was as far out as the pin got.

photo4-1_60dd377ba695508d646f9f44002bcc9943dc96fb.jpg

photo5-1_41edd0dd473534bafcfb3aff2f430a7defd6ef7c.jpg

2. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    u need new center pin. looks like someone force that nut on by the looks of it.

3. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The AAL kit came with longer centering pins, so I'm not worried about the old ones being broken. I'm just trying to figure out how to remove it so I can put the new leafs in and tighten the thing back up.

4. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    oh if thats the case lift the spring up or drop the axle and hit the pin out

5. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    The pin needs to be removed from the bottom of the leaf pack just lower the axle housing and pull it out from the bottom.

6. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    hey man is your truck on stands? ALso is your axle on a stand or at least being lifted up and down by a floor jack on the diff? Your whole leaf pack is pretty hanging free from your rear axle. You needed to clamp the leaf on both sides, get something to hold the bolt and then take off the nut, if not, like you said it'll keep spinning, once the nut is removed you don't loosen the c claps yet but knock out the bolt, and then slowly let the pressure off the c clamps. The bolt goes through the bottom.

7. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Jack up your truck as high as it can go, set jack stands, undo u bolts, droop the axle and then loosten the top nut that holds the leafs together. The nut should drop out. Then use a crowbar to get the aal.in, clamp the leafs, set the new extended screw, tighten it down and then reconect the leafs to the axle.

8. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This

9. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4

You can see a jack stand in the first pic.

10. Aug 3, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Ok wow makes much more sense now that I know it comes out of the bottom...none of the DIY's mentioned that.

I'll give it another try tomorrow at the shop, we'll have the truck on a lift and he's got some high lift jackstands we can lower the axle with.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated! :)

11. Aug 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I went through the same thing. It's a learning process and you're learning something new. Enjoy!

12. Aug 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Pay attention to the plumbing that is connected to the axle from the body of the truck, you lower it too much and that shit will get fucked up fast.

13. Aug 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Looks like my friend's shop doesn't have any openings until Monday, so I'll try this again this afternoon.

I think my problem is that my jackstands holding up the axle are too high, even at the lowest setting. Can I use the floor jack to lower the axle by positioning it directly under the differential? That way I can (hopefully) lower axle far enough so it separates from the spring perch.

Also, do I need to undo both sides at the same time for this to work, or can I just undo one side at a time and install? Thanks again.

14. Aug 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Support the body with jack stands as high as it will go, bring the axle down with the jack.

15. Aug 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Exactly. The problem I had was that the stands didn't hold the truck up high enough. I ended up taking the whole leaf pack off and doing it that way.

16. Aug 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    When we do AAL's we do it just that way and one side at a time. just set the frame on jack stands and disconnect all the Ubolts with a floor jack under the diff. Then you can lower the jack until you can remove the pin just watch for the brake lines on the driver side and the slip yoke of the drive line can fall out but it just slips right back in.

17. Aug 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 ton jack stands are the best for this i don't use anything smaller for an AAL install.

18. Aug 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I definitely don't have 12 ton jackstands...they're rated for 4000lb each I believe. Where do you put the jackstands under the frame? Just under the rear doors, or somewhere behind the rear wheel wells along the frame rails?

I did remove the lower shock bolt as per the DIY, but I did not remove the top one. It was definitely free from the axle.

Lots of great info here, thanks again!

19. Aug 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    TakDwn

TakDwn Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC V6 Shortbed 4x4
    Bili's all around, front 5100's at 1.75", rear TSB w/AAL, 265x75/16 BFG AT, Wheelers steelies Type B 4" bs, LEER cap, Tinted, Relentless hybrid sliders welded, Cab mount chop, Plastic trimming, Sock retros, Mirror lift, Satoshi with old school emblem, WeatherTechs, Mudlaps gone, RedLine hood struts, Fumoto valve, Tailgate clamped, Console organizer, Mobtown Offroad Front Recovery Bar
    I given props to ya for giving the install a try!!!
    There are far too many people paying shops to do the install, just my opinion. Even if you don't have the tools, you may well have purchased them for the cost of the shops install. And these same tools would be available for future projects. You'll learn so much more about your truck by attempting installs/basic vehicle upkeep just like this one. Keep up the efforts and congrats on learning something new about your rig!
    Let us know how the final install goes.:D

TravlingmanTN likes this.
  20. Aug 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Position the jack stands on the frame in front of the axle where the frame flattens out.

If your jack stands are too short, a couple pieces of 2x12 as blocking can be used. Use solid pieces instead of multiple smaller pieces to help reduce the risk of the stands overturning. Also make sure your front tires are chocked well.

I put the jack under the rear diff, jacked as high as I could, placed the stands under the frame, then lowered the jack. That should allow you plenty of droop to remove the centering pin and install the AAL. Make sure to keep some slight pressure on the jack to keep the axle supported once free of the leaf pack and watch the center brake lines. Don't overstretch these! You can undo the bolt holding them to the axle for a little more room to work with.

Products Discussed in

To Top