LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

opinion: most cost effective off-road mod

Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
opinion: most cost effective off-road mod

i think setting up a poll for this would be impossible from all the choices, but what do you guys think? aside from tires of course what was the one mod that made you say "wow i should have done this a long time ago"

any ideas?

for instance im currently thinking fixing the crossover pipe would be the best place to start to get this thing on some trails
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
yeah get that retarded exhaust fixed, then get some sliders.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
TWINSIES!
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders then skids
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Not many people will say this because not many people have them but:

Gears. By far, gears.

But then, I'm confused...you want cost effective mod, like the title states, or just the one that makes the most difference? These two are not the same?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sliders, i can do sliders but they would unfortunately be from pipe and fittings. thinking 1-1/2" 45 deg. in, in the front and 45 deg back out in the rear. need to see if i can get them tucked in the way i want from frame attatch points to tucked up to rocker panel. fearing that they would look crappy though.

and im talking welded pipe, not screwed fittings lol
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I would say removing your sway bar would be the most cost effective, since it is free.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
drinking whats on sale

i dunno jandrews. cost effective within reason. . . . . .like adding a t-case is pushing pretty far as i would have to buy one. i know a locker would be awesome, but i dont think i got the balls to throw in an auto, need arb so out of the question. i would lift before that
Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
drinking whats on sale

hahaha sway bar disconnected, now we're talkin'! who runs without one? any input?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sliders for sure. Then I wouldn't have had to pay 2.5 sets of sliders to fix this:

Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
TWINSIES!
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of guys runs without them. I do and I love it. Although I have coilovers so it's still stiff without the swaybar.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I removed mine probably a year ago and doubt I will ever put it back on. Drive it like a truck and not a car and it's fine
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
sliders/hi-lift
Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
drinking whats on sale

ouch whipper, yea i set my old truck down on a rock and couldnt hardly open the door. . . . . decided not to play in them again without sliders. the rock did its damage but you should have seen the the hammer work to get the door to latch again. . . . . . eeesh. and that still wasnt as bad as the tree that jumped sideways and raped my rear cab all the way to the back tire. better than the drop that was after the tree though. . . off camber trails on icy days coupled with loss of traction trying to creep over a log=bad news.

after talking i realize that past experience coupled with your input says sliders. . . people, we have continuity. gettin out the draw paper
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
sliders, i can do sliders but they would unfortunately be from pipe and fittings. thinking 1-1/2" 45 deg. in, in the front and 45 deg back out in the rear. need to see if i can get them tucked in the way i want from frame attatch points to tucked up to rocker panel. fearing that they would look crappy though.

and im talking welded pipe, not screwed fittings lol
get some square tube, 1/8" wall and make them, welded to the frame, do it right.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
drinking whats on sale

gunna look at sway bar too, sounds worth a try, especially since my truck lacks the electronics like vsc and tract. control
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
drinking whats on sale

stevo, you dont think square tube would be prone to hanging vs round?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
drinking whats on sale

max, i hi lift, even though it rarely comes out, has been one of those great investments cause when it does come out, it gets me out. even use it in some heavy pipe-fitting scenarios
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
stevo, you dont think square tube would be prone to hanging vs round?
Mine are square, and I haven't had a problem with hanging up. As long as you miter the ends to 45* things should be fine.