Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Home-Built Sliders and Hidden Winch Mount

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Check with advanced auto they have 2 gauge for about 2 bucks a foot bulk buy as much or little as needed. I wired a plug front and back for my hitch winch
Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
great job +1 for you
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Very good work man! The winch mount is clean.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
TRDsportacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
TRDsportacoma's Tacoma Gallery
DAMN good job man hidden winch looks sick.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowinhz View Post
Check with advanced auto they have 2 gauge for about 2 bucks a foot bulk buy as much or little as needed. I wired a plug front and back for my hitch winch
We don't have any in WA. O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Napa, Cut-Rate, or Parts Plus. None of them carry "good" bulk wiring.

Interstate Batteries has some 2/0 for $4.80/ft. and Pacific Welding supply has it for $3.96/ft. I will eventually relocate it in the future, just don't want to spend $100+ right now on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
great job +1 for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
Very good work man! The winch mount is clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsportacoma View Post
DAMN good job man hidden winch looks sick.
Thanks y'all. Hopefully it will inspire some ideas for some of you.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
That's a pretty good idea for the winch mount. I used to weld a lot of armor for military trucks, and there is quite a bit of aluminum used on them. So many people underestimate the strength of aluminum, but when the right grade of aluminum is welded properly, it's just as durable as steel. Awesome job!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma BC View Post
Thanks for the hidden winch mount write up Ben - and the pm.
I've been using your pics and advice on my 2012. I purchased a Warn winch mount tray - Warn part number 60368. The front end plastic valance is a different height off the aluminum cross member than your 2011, so I've had to do some head scratching. I've had to build the tray an inch higher than the aluminum crossmember so the hawse will center vertically in the valance. It's similiar to how you did it - just an inch higher. Under the tray, I've welded a 2x2 steel square tube on the back of it, and a 1"x1" on the front to achieve this.
I'll probably have to modify the center support strut so that the winch can fit in there - but that's a minor trouble. I'll post a thread when i get it all done.
Thanks again for your help!
Stephen
Hell yeah Stephen, no problem

I didn't know Warn was selling their plate mount separately now...that's probably why they stopped including the DIY instructions in their user manuals

I wish you the best of luck on your mount, and let me know if I can help out at all. I'm stoked to see how it turns out on your 2012!

Good luck man !
Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
deepcoma will become famous soon enoughdeepcoma will become famous soon enough

deepcoma's Tacoma Gallery
Ben,

Really like what you have done to your Taco, it provides me with inspiration for my own. I really like that it is completely off road ready but still very stock looking. I have been wanting to do a winch set up for years and did not want the bigger bumper to go with it so I find your solloutin to be exactly what I am looking for.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcoma View Post
Ben,

Really like what you have done to your Taco, it provides me with inspiration for my own. I really like that it is completely off road ready but still very stock looking. I have been wanting to do a winch set up for years and did not want the bigger bumper to go with it so I find your solloutin to be exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks for the feedback man. I wish I had a diagram to post up, but all of our notes/measurements ended up in the trash (it was mostly chicken-scratch anyway). Check out my other write-ups in my build thread. There's a handful of them: heated mirrors, engine bay LEDs, hidden CB, horn relocate, DIY HiLift and tool mounts and more

Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Hell yeah brother!!! That's what TW is all about....well, that, and a few shenanigans and chiding, but I'm sure you're used to that by now.

Let me know if you have any ???s when you start making your own
Once my warranty is up i'm going start doing more invasive mods and i'll def take you up on that! Thanks for the offer chief!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #34
McElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really niceMcElroy is just really nice
Navy: Recon Corpsman
Name: Matt
McElroy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey is there anyway to get you to make another one of those winch mounts?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
motionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
motionridr8's Tacoma Gallery
x2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElroy View Post
Hey is there anyway to get you to make another one of those winch mounts?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
mountain bike haulin' & off camping
kbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant futurekbraunphoto has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
kbraunphoto's Tacoma Gallery
What were the price for materials?

I've been tossing this idea around for a couple years and just havetn pulled the trigger.

Extremely well done work. I'd be interested if you want to pop out a couple for market research sake.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraunphoto View Post
What were the price for materials?

I've been tossing this idea around for a couple years and just havetn pulled the trigger.

Extremely well done work. I'd be interested if you want to pop out a couple for market research sake.
Honestly, the 1/4" alum. sheet was under $100, but I ended up paying my uncle in-law pretty generously for his work.

If you have the time/resources I would definitely go with this route, it has served me well and saved myself and others from some sticky situations multiple times. Plus, it just looks good

I will also send you a PM with more info.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Are you still using this as your winch mount or did you swap to a plate bumper? How well did it hold up would you say?