Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Home-Built Sliders and Hidden Winch Mount

Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Home-Built Sliders and Hidden Winch Mount

This isn't a "How-To" or "Install Guide", just some pics of the sliders and hidden winch mount we fab'd up for my truck.

HIDDEN WINCH MOUNT

For the hidden winch mount, we reinforced the stock aluminum bumper with 1/4" 6061 T6 aluminum, fully plated, gusseted, reinforced, and TIG/MIG welded.

Sanded, primed, and painted it flat-black.

I was a little apprehensive about using aluminum at first, but it is strong and stout as hell! Plus with the synthetic line, I saved about 60-70lbs. up front. Say what you want, but this mount will hold-up to anything I plan on winching with it.

I wired up the control box in front of the radiator. I had to use a different mounting bracket than what came with the winch, and I had just enough wire to reach the battery. Really clean install, out of the way, clears the radiator, and the control still has room to plug in. The clutch and everything is easily accessible without removing the grille.

SLIDERS

For the sliders, we did a simple round-tube design using 2"OD x .188"-wall HREW, and beefy L-brackets, fully-gusseted and welded to the frame. It ended up about 3/4" below the pinch-weld, and we turned up the outer-rail to 18.3°

We decided not to do a round/square "Hybrid" since all round tubing would create a larger contact footprint on each joint/weld, and in turn, increase rigidity.

Another unique twist is the extra support brace we welded in back. Since the DC/LB is so long, there was almost 23" past the straight frame that needed to be reinforced. Many sliders for the DC/LB have little support in the rear, and can flex quite a bit by just stepping on them. This cured that problem.

Sanded, Primed and painted flat-black as well. I also added some 3M Traction Tape to each side.

They have already come in handy on the trails...

Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that's some nice work bro! I really like that hidden winch mount you built up
Old 08-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
Build me one! . Looks sick, yeah the undercoverhwms ones are so freakin expensive.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
That is by far the cleanest winch mount I've ever seen, really nice work.

Those sliders came out great too, but square tube is stiffer... Like it matters lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Damn man great welds.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
.188 wall beef!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work indeed!!!
The sneek and peek winch is extra slick!!
Well done.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good. Why no kick-out on the sliders? Ease of build?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Damn good job Ben!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Damn that hidden winch mount is badass! good work
Thanks BOSS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRed06 View Post
Build me one! . Looks sick, yeah the undercoverhwms ones are so freakin expensive.
Yeah they are. Well-built though. I saved a ton of money and weight doing it myself, so I'm pretty happy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
That is by far the cleanest winch mount I've ever seen, really nice work.

Those sliders came out great too, but square tube is stiffer... Like it matters lol.
Thanks steve o! The round is plenty stout. But yeah, it doesn't really matter and that's what we had on-hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Damn man great welds.
The beautiful bead-work was done by my uncle (in-law) at his shop. He did some amazing work, and was instrumental in helping me make this a reality.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
The beautiful bead-work was done by my uncle (in-law) at his shop. He did some amazing work, and was instrumental in helping me make this a reality.
They look great man. But like someone posted about me why not kick outs?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
.188 wall beef!
pure beefy goodness! Almost as good as the triple Baconator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Very nice work indeed!!!
The sneek and peek winch is extra slick!!
Well done.
Thanks man, that's what I was going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Looking good. Why no kick-out on the sliders? Ease of build?
Yeah, we originally had planned to do a 90° bend for a 2-piece kick-out but simplicity won in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Damn good job Ben!
Thanks Jason! Now I just need some skids, maybe Eric will offer another GB
(hint, hint Max)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
They look great man. But like someone posted about me why not kick outs?
As Mitch suggested, it came down to time and convenience. It would have been significantly more work and more room for error (symmetry-wise) to add the kick-outs.

*Plus, after the narrow trails we did @ Naches, I don't think making my truck ANY wider would be a good idea.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Hull Technician 2nd Class
Name: Big Jim
Turd Herding Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Ohhh you guys and you're fancy aluminum welding! I'm just sitting here wishing my TIG welder had a Hi-freq AC setting so I could be doing this...Looks like I'll just have to get the Miller 350 now

awesome job man!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
holy shit nice work!

i noticed that your winch solenoid is mounted in front of your radiator. i might move that to a higher location it wouldn't take much and it would be completely out of the weather. i mounted mine in front of my master cylinder and sealed the shit out of it with butyl rubber and black silicon. just a thought as i know those are the first things to fail on a winch maybe i got paranoid and went over board though lol.

your sliders look awesome and your welds are beautiful once again great job dude
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?
Turd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurd Herding Jim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Hull Technician 2nd Class
Name: Big Jim
Turd Herding Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
holy shit nice work!

i noticed that your winch solenoid is mounted in front of your radiator. i might move that to a higher location it wouldn't take much and it would be completely out of the weather. i mounted mine in front of my master cylinder and sealed the shit out of it with butyl rubber and black silicon. just a thought as i know those are the first things to fail on a winch maybe i got paranoid and went over board though lol.

your sliders look awesome and your welds are beautiful once again great job dude
+1 there is nothing more frustrating than needing a winch and not being able to use it cause you gots a messed up solenoid/control box/magic black thingy that helps you get un-stuck
Old 08-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for posting this. exactly what i needed man thanks. is that winch mount all 1/4"?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #20
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
holy shit nice work!

That was my original plan, rig up a bracket to use the pre-threaded holes back there. The only problem is that copper is expensive right now, and 30' of 2/0 was about $120. I plan on doing that in the future for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
thanks for posting this. exactly what i needed man thanks. is that winch mount all 1/4"?
Everything except the stock aluminum bumper.