1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tactical Tacoma H7

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dave333, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Are half the people reading this realizing the purpose of this truck is to be up-armored protection for personnel in the middle-east, not a recreational offroader?

They have different needs from you, people. And looks is barely on the list at all.

2. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    You forget this is TW.

But I agree itll be a Bad ass rig for them

3. Aug 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    That thing is awesome. Looks, eh, but like said above, the guys that are using this, arent crawling the local food court and could give less than a crap about what it looks like. I like it.

4. Aug 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    Just about anything, IMO. Look at the way that thing is mounted and you can tell that it has a tremendous amount of leverage against the frame that it is (hopefully) mounted to. The first thing they try to hit/push with that is likely to mangle the frame. Not to mention look at how vulnerable the winch is.

That is exactly my point. This doesn't appear functional at all. It has mall crawler written all over it. I've been in/around many armored vehicles, military and civilian, and there is almost nothing in this picture (other than the fact that it is a Tacoma) that looks like an armored vehicle I would trust my life to.

5. Aug 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    ^^Thats just it though, its NOT supposed to be a fully armored combat vehicle. They're looking for it to be light enough for air lift and dispatch via helicopter, and agile enough to avoid being caught in shitty situations with the ability to push some obstacles out of they way. They're not looking to plow through walls and take on RPGs...

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)

Its functional. If they bend the frame pitting someone then our taco is weaker than a crown vic. 15mph is nothing with that bumper IMO. Cool guys like quick and maneuverable vehicles that are reliable. Taco is it. the armor is most likely going to be removed for less weight. Anything they receive that does not meet the mission specs will ultimately be altered or changed either before or mid mission.

Unless its an MRAP, APC, or tank, i would not trust my life to any armor vehicle. It may be built for PPS, dignitary's and such. Who knows...And who said it will definitely go to Asscrackistan? My buddy did pps in iraq. rode around in an up-armored land cruiser. He hated it. they took most of the crap out when they didn't have some whiny person complaining about "no armor".

Just look at it this way, you know how there is different ways to configure the taco for off-roading? there are different scenarios in which different configurations of armor are good and bad.

7. Aug 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    [​IMG]

8. Aug 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    I'm sure it also has to do with opsec. The cia and the special forces that will be using that truck need to be sort of the down low if you know what I mean? They choose vehicles that kind of blend in. I'm sure there are trucks there that have brush guards. Probably not too many with DO or Relentless bumpers there. From far away that Tacoma looks like a local truck and that is exactly what they are after. I'm sure there is even armor on the backs of the seats to protect the occupants if things go wrong. Go get'em boys! :fenforcer:

9. Aug 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    Tanks are becoming a thing of the past. Air strikes are much more common, so special forces just need something that can move quickly with some firepower. I'm sure the truck the OP shared is perfect for special forces, while that hunk of armored crap would be an RPG magnet.

This is a regular, every day truck in Zambia...

[​IMG]

Here is an Army vehicle in Syria...

[​IMG]

10. Aug 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    I think for it's purpose that it'll look good.

11. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    Yeah guys, speaking from experience that Tacoma is perfect for any work in Iraq, Afghanistan or Pakistan. You have to keep in mind a few things. When sourcing parts, most military operations cannot place an order of 100 bumpers with any of our sponsors and have a 3 month lead time. They need the gear now. They also need things that the dealership can acquire. All our winches when I've worked oversea's have been on the front bumper. That vehicle isn't meant to be a full on FAV (Fully Armored Vehicle), it's meant to still have some maneuverability, be light and fast and blend in as much as possible with the local populace.

As far as IR goes for NODS, I have no idea. Same with strobes. We usually just used velcro/100mph tape and attached strobes that way.

What you don't understand unless you've ever been in one of those countries is the crap vehicles we are given to run operations with. They are literally purchased down at the bazaar and we have to make due. This is a huge step forward from that.

I've ridden/used the old suburbans/land cruisers/BMW's/GMV's/MRAP/Bear Cats and I always loved the Hilux's. This is the perfect melding of SOF's love for Hilux's and the reliability we get from new vehicles in the states.

If I get more info on it that's okay to post, I'll put it up.

12. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    still wouldnt set foot on RHT property in fayettenam...

13. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

Did Cornbred get a new truck??

I am sure there are a couple of people here that know what I am talking about....

G

14. Aug 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    dbronzo

dbronzo Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    Saw this today at the Rick Hendricks while I was having my Speedo cable replaced. Front and rear windows are plexiglass, the passenger side of the dashboard has been cutout to accommidate a 13" toughbook. Center console has been modified to hold 4 M-4 Carbines, rear bench seat was changed to bucket seats. One of the salesman told me that the front bumper was incorporated into the frame. Toe hooks on the front and the rear were stout to say the least and looked like the rear leaf pack was either a Dakar or All-Pro. Rails in the bed were integreated into the frame for more support and the bed rings looked strong. Overall looked pretty good, but didn't see what else there was inside or under the hood. Took some picks and posted them in the Live thread here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/38939-tw-live-9747.html

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Dave333

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    Nice man. Thanks for the update. Sorry you're still in Fayetteville, left that place in 07 and never looked back.

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    dbronzo

dbronzo Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    Don't mind it been here 12yrs and not going anywhere anytime soon.

17. Aug 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Very interesting and definitely original

18. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    Dave333

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    1. Costs. Flying Hilux's over stateside and then back won't happen. Titanium armor, I've never even seen outfitted on any tier 1 vehicles. I can't imagine what this cost would be.

2. The gun mounts are used. We used 240 mounts on ATV's and Hilux's all the time. It's no different than the gun mounts we used on the GMV's that had open backs.

Now most SF teams use modified MRAPs but the Hilux is still used daily as well.

All I'm saying is this truck is a huge step forward compared to what is available on the local market over there. One of my truck purchases still had brain matter in the seats and bullet holes in the windshield, but we needed a new truck. Unless you've ever been where an SF Firebase is (not a conventional one), then you have no idea how remote some of those locations are and the availability of good vehicles or any replacement parts.

SF is like any other unit, they have budget constraints as well. It's not a "order anything you guys need" type of situation. Never has been. We always made due with what we had. Sort of the rednecks of the SOF community. My first tour in Afghanistan we wratchet strapped armor to the back bed rails of a GMV so we had some type of armor.

I'd have loved to see one of these come off a Chinook.

19. Aug 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Dave333

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    You in 3rd? I was in 1st Batt, C co. 333. Which now I think would be 3133. Well enjoy the rest of your time there.

20. Aug 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    87FoRunner

87FoRunner MallTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 4x4
    ARB. M8000. OME 886. Mickey Thompson Classic Locks. 285 Pro Comp XMT. Pioneer x930bt. Memphis SQ comps. Memphis S class 10. Kragen HIDs.
    I think it's perfecto for it's use.

It's meant to scoot around, not combat. They have tanks, badass jets, CUCVs, oshkosh's, and hmmwv (sp?) for all that stuff.

I also think it need some Bilstein 5100s since they offer more droop than OME 886 and nitrocharger struts :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top