Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking of getting a 2012 DC Tacoma - Should I Trade my 09 DC or sell it?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Hossdawson is on a distinguished road
Name: Hoss
Hossdawson's Tacoma Gallery

I have a 2009 DCSB in Pyrite Mica. 43000 miles. Auto Power v6 AC windows/locks/mirrors. Base with upgrades - Cruise - intermittent wipers - fog lights - 17" stock aluminum wheels - fiberglass cap (may keep it).
I'm looking at the double cab 2012's. I really just want the SR5 package but I haven't been able to find one locally. Most are the TRD packages here.
What would be a fair trade in value for my 09? Any info would be appreciated.
I live in Harrisburg, PA. There are a few dealers locally. Bobby Rahal Toyota is the largest and appears to have the best selection.
If I can figure how to post a pic I will.
Thanks
Hoss
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
You will come out better selling yourself but If you don't want the hassle then if you have a Carmax locally take it there just to see what they offer. Dealers will usually at least match them.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Just do it. Trade it in and be done with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
check out the sales tax law in your state. most (many) states only charge sales tax on the differance between the trade value and the final sales price of the new truck.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
check out the sales tax law in your state. most (many) states only charge sales tax on the differance between the trade value and the final sales price of the new truck.
And this ^^^

When I traded I know I could have got quite a bit more selling outright, but I did save roughly half the difference I feel I could have got because of the taxes.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

pic
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of getting a 2012 DC Tacoma - Should I Trade my 09 DC or sell it?-truck.jpg  
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
x2 on this... this is the case in NY. I held out on my deal until I got what I thought was fair for my trade in (not a taco) and ended up saving $1200 on the tax
Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
sell it yourself, you will get way more money. used tacomas are hard to come by.
maybe...maybe not. how much is "way more"?

say the OP's 2009 is worth 20K to a dealer on trade, but can be sold retail for 22K.

then the OP buys a 2012 for 30K and pays 6% sales tax, costing him 1,800$. is it worth the hassle for 200 bucks?

worse, what if his state tax rate is 7%?...he may have just cost himself a hundred bucks, along with the hassle.

now, a 15 hundred dollar car...yeah, sell it outright. but most folks who buy 20-30K cars/trucks finance. and if selling yourself, it is a major PITA.

YMMV
Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
On a trade here I know you only pay 6% sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the sale price of the new vehicle.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossdawson View Post
On a trade here I know you only pay 6% sales tax on the difference between the trade value and the sale price of the new vehicle.
then most likely, you woulld be better off trading at the dealership.

or, calculate the dollar differance...and if there is an upside, decide if it's worth the time and effort.

me...I'd trade and roll.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Jeez... the 2009 is just getting broken in.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
sell the cap separately...I wouldn't leave it on if trading
this I agree with.

bolt on accessories often never make it to the sales lot.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a Costco membership that I'm gonna check out. I wonder if the incentive will get any better in a month or two.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Got some deals last night. My 09 and 10500 for a DCLB TRD Sport in MGM out the door. Also looked at a DCLB SR5 in MGM for 9K and my 09. Seems pretty good to me.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't trade my 09 but if you do, take into consideration the amount of time you spend with tire kickers, low ballers and time wasters. If you have the time, great. But if not, selling can be seriously painful. Even a serious buyer may want you to take your truck to their mechanic, etc. I used to sell used cars and it can be a fing nightmare dealing with people. On the flip side, your truck may be just what someone wants and the local dealerships may not have what you are offering, or if they do they may be way too high for a buyer. If you get a qualified buyer who's hot to buy, you can really do well selling yourself.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
coolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of lightcoolreed is a glorious beacon of light

coolreed's Tacoma Gallery
Sell It or Trade It?

Sell your vehicle yourself.

Never, Never, Never Trade.

If you Trade you are giving your vehicle away.

When you are buying a new vehicle with the power of cash buying , you have the power the dealer doesn't. You control the deal not the dealer. You can save thousands. Play dealers against each other, use every trick in the book to get the purchase price down. If you pay sticker for the new vehicle, You are a dumb ass. NEVER Pay Sticker.

If you Trade, the dealer hold ALL the cards. You will pay retail for the new vehicle and the dealer will give you wholesale for your used POS.

Besides, if you Trade it is an affirmation 'You' are a dumb ass.

I,...have been a dumb ass before,..but not in a looooong time.

Don't Be A Dumb Ass.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-4x4-mgm.html

Check out that thread... you two are like a match made in heaven. You want a 2012, he wants an older model, both in PA, it's a beautiful thing
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
Tookie is on a distinguished road

Tookie's Tacoma Gallery
And, if you have a buyer lined up, bring them with you to the dealer and
let them do it all, it's called an "in and out", buyer will get your truck at
whatever price you agreed on, but you'll only pay tax on the difference
between the '09 and the new one.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolreed View Post
Sell your vehicle yourself.

Never, Never, Never Trade.

If you Trade you are giving your vehicle away.

When you are buying a new vehicle with the power of cash buying , you have the power the dealer doesn't. You control the deal not the dealer. You can save thousands. Play dealers against each other, use every trick in the book to get the purchase price down. If you pay sticker for the new vehicle, You are a dumb ass. NEVER Pay Sticker.

If you Trade, the dealer hold ALL the cards. You will pay retail for the new vehicle and the dealer will give you wholesale for your used POS.

Besides, if you Trade it is an affirmation 'You' are a dumb ass.

I,...have been a dumb ass before,..but not in a looooong time.

Don't Be A Dumb Ass.
wow, you really sound like you have thought this out. Let's consider something for just a moment.

1- He trades the vehicle for for $20,500, this means the dealer is going to certify the vehicle and list it for say $23,900 and really sell it for say $23k? So realistically he assume that someone would pay $1,000 less then the dealer so he is at $22,000 for an vehicle with no warranty. so we are at $1500 difference. He then has to pay off his truck and expect the buyer to wait while the bank process' the title. Now if the buyer is financing (which most do) then the buyers bank has to be willing to wait for 2-4wks before the truck can even be registered. Pretty unlikely.

2- He is a dumb ass and trades the vehicle, as you would say. The dealer gives him $20,5000 now he buys a truck for $30,500 so he only pays 6% sales tax on the difference which is $600. Now if he sold the truck privately, then he owes $1803 in sales tax, a whopping $1203 extra in order to make then $1500.

I dont know about you, but less then $300 isnt worth my time or effort to deal with all the BS that comes with selling a vehicle privately especially considering how much you're going to pay to list it etc.

long story short, dont be a dumb ass - trade in the truck.

(I agree if we are considering a 10 year old beater, but not a newer truck that is expensive)