Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How does traction control button work?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Backroadbomber is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Backroadbomber's Tacoma Gallery
How does traction control button work?

Ok I know how the traction control works, and it sucks. I'm looking for a way to disable it without pulling abs fuses and without having to hold in the stupid button every time I start it. I'd like to keep my abs functional just in case I get into an accident I can't get sued for millions of dollars ( even though you stop faster without abs). Basically I'd just like an understanding of how the button is wired in and if it would hurt anything if I wired it to where it would be pressed in all the time so traction control turns off automatically. The other day I pressed and held the button for about 20 minutes while driving and my truck DIDN'T start on fire lol so I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt anything but I don't want to burn up any relays or anything. A wiring diagram would be sweet.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is all in the programming. Unless you can design your own ECU there is nothing you can really do. Push the button to turn it off or just drive with the damn thing on.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you want it off? You driving crazy enough to trigger it that often?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing as I dont have TCS I'm not too worried about it, HOWEVER I do strongly suggest you give this guy a shout who runs:

http://www.tokensolutions.net/produc...ry-module.html

He is a damn WIZ when it comes to these sorts of things. And there is a possibility this may cross over. If not I'm sure if you were willing to be a guinea pig he might work with you to be a test subject.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Why do you want it off? You driving crazy enough to trigger it that often?

Why cant we just offer good suggestions other then saying things like this?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03is300ztk View Post
I suggest you log off this instant, burn your pc and rip out your internet cable because no matter how hard your try the internet isn't going to be perfect.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I suggest you log off this instant, burn your pc and rip out your internet cable because no matter how hard your try the internet isn't going to be perfect.

oh I know, agreed, however I can still try..
Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
1 - I'm an asshole.
2 - VSC in these trucks really doesn't interfere with daily driving at all unless something starts to get abnormal. So, frankly, I'm curious as to what exactly the OP feels "sucks" about traction control. That's all.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
1 - I'm an asshole.
2 - VSC in these trucks really doesn't interfere with daily driving at all unless something starts to get abnormal. So, frankly, I'm curious as to what exactly the OP feels "sucks" about traction control. That's all.

1 sounds good and fair, 2 fair enough, however maybe he is like some and likes at a moments notice to be able to break them loose, without having to hit a switch.

I have never seen VSC or anything similar be better then my own throttle control in any situation personally, its more for those that get in vehicle and dont understand how to feather it when need be.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have never seen VSC or anything similar be better then my own throttle control in any situation personally, its more for those that get in vehicle and dont understand how to feather it when need be.
Ehh.... Yes and no.
In the early days of ABS, it made a huge difference in stopping distances for typical drivers, but did not make much difference for professional drivers.

Now, either ABS systems have improved, or "professional" drivers have lost some of the edge and have begun to rely more on some of the automated systems, because modern systems will make a difference for any driver (and yes, a smaller difference for the professional).

But regardless of the level of the technology, the automated systems do provide a significant advantage to the average driver, while providing no disadvantage to the professional driver, so long as he is aware of how the system is going to respond to a given situation.
The only reason to disable these systems is when the vehicle is taken outside of the normal parameters of on-road driving....

4 wheeling/crawling, drifting, etc.... automated systems may not be desired in those conditions.

But I'm going with #1
Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2 - VSC in these trucks really doesn't interfere with daily driving at all unless something starts to get abnormal.
can't entirely agree
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Poser Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ehh.... Yes and no.
In the early days of ABS, it made a huge difference in stopping distances for typical drivers, but did not make much difference for professional drivers.

Now, either ABS systems have improved, or "professional" drivers have lost some of the edge and have begun to rely more on some of the automated systems, because modern systems will make a difference for any driver (and yes, a smaller difference for the professional).

But regardless of the level of the technology, the automated systems do provide a significant advantage to the average driver, while providing no disadvantage to the professional driver, so long as he is aware of how the system is going to respond to a given situation.
The only reason to disable these systems is when the vehicle is taken outside of the normal parameters of on-road driving....

4 wheeling/crawling, drifting, etc.... automated systems may not be desired in those conditions.
More than I felt like typing, but agreed. And thanks?

Quote:
But I'm going with #1
It's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
can't entirely agree

Elucidate. I'm listening and willing to learn.

Élucider. Je suis à l'écoute et prêt à apprendre.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
can't entirely agree
You aren't stock though.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I pushed the "trac" button in my Accord, and it was unreal.

The car lowered about 2", the engine tone got deeper, AC/DC began playing "Thunderstruck". Then....as the light turned green......a laser emerged from the hood.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
NtacomaR is on a distinguished road

Name: nick
NtacomaR's Tacoma Gallery
what year do you have first off? and if you hold the trac control button down for 5 second while it is in park it will completely disable it. i.e for doing donuts, mobbin in the snow etc....once you turn off and back on the truck it will go back to being ON. try it, hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Poser Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NtacomaR View Post
what year do you have first off? and if you hold the trac control button down for 5 second while it is in park it will incompletely disable it. i.e for doing donuts, mobbin in the snow etc....once you turn off and back on or exceed 30mph the truck it will go back to being ON. try it, hope this helps.
Fixed that for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #17

negative, i had mine completely off. and was doing 65+ it still stayed off.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
Poser Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NtacomaR View Post
negative, i had mine completely off. and was doing 65+ it still stayed off.
Because you didn't throw your ass around enough.

Trust me, it's lurking, and if you're above 30 and get sideways, it WILL kick in.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #19

i promise you that it can be disabled, on my 2012 at least. i live on a ranch and was smashing doing donuts (in my yard) and it never went off...and then i read what you said with going over 30. so i went on a road wear the speed limit was 55. i was going 65 and it stayed off.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #20

where*