1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential Oil Changed at 12k Miles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mbrogz3000, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    This is just a quick note for everyone's reference. Although the maintenance schedule calls for the rear differential oil to be changed at 30k miles, I went ahead and did it at 12,000.

The color of the old factory fill oil was this dark murky gray color, and I certainly could see metal wear flakes that look like glitter. The drain plug itself had about half of a pinky finger tip of metal particals stuck to the magnet. Unfortunitely, I didn't take pictures...plus it was 90+ degrees in my garage on Saturday. My refill was with 3 quarts of Mobil1 75w90, and I don't have the mechanical LSD and therefore didn't add an additive.

I'd recommend to everyone not to wait until 30k miles to change the rear diff fluid, and to do it early at 10-12k miles. I'll probably end up changing this oil once a year as a precaution.

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah most people forget about new diffs with a new truck though I suppose if you're doing an engine break in that'll help. Your first should be the worst. After you could probably do 20-30 or more

Products Discussed in

To Top