1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen -> 2nd Gen Double Cab??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hawaiian05, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    Hi all,
    I posted this in the 1st gen forum, but figured it applies to 2nd gen taco owners as well. I've been debating on "upgrading" to a 2nd gen double cab Tacoma. I currently own a 2004 double cab TRD 4x4 and absolutely love it. Plus, it only has 80k miles on it! I've been falling in love with the newer double cabs in the magnetic gray metallic, and with a 6 speed manual trans.
    Has anyone made the switch from 1st to 2nd gen, especially from auto to stick? Also, of those who did it, are they happier or do they regret it?
    I know for a fact the one thing I'd miss is the compactness of the 1st gens...
    Thanks in advance!
    Tony

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    brianv3ntura

brianv3ntura Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville FL
    Vehicle:
    MGM'12 Taco TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB 4.0L 5spd Auto
    Stock for now.
    you cant go wrong with upgrading to a newer model, unless you cant afford it

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    bbsjackson

bbsjackson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Puyallup WA
    Reciently traded in my '02 DC for a new one. Had some reservations about trading in a perfectly good paid for truck for the new one, but am glad I did. Night and day difference, the 2nd gen DCs are much more refined than the first gen.

4. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies!

BBS- Defibitely like you said- some hesitation on trading in a clean/paid off truck!

Whippersnapper- Is there any current faults with the 6 speed? I know the earlier model 6 speeds ha some issues, but I'd assume are resolved now. Anything you know/ heard of?

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    My brother in law has an '03 (the red one in my sig), and I have a 2012. I've had the pleasure of driving both quite a bit. Both are great trucks, but 2nd gens do have more interior room, and in my opinion are a nicer ride all-around.

I have a 2012 6 speed and love it. If you're the type of person that really prefers a manual transmission, then I say don't listen to the negativity...unless you're considering a pre-2010 MY. The clutch is responsive and easy to drive, and the shifting is buttery smooth in mine. At the very least, take one for a test drive and see what you think. FWIW, mine also came with the "TRD Sportshifter" option.

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I have a 2012 6 speed and love it. If you're the type of person that really prefers a manual transmission, then I say don't listen to the negativity...unless you're considering a pre-2010 MY. The clutch is responsive and easy to drive, and the shifting is buttery smooth in mine. At the very least, take one for a test drive and see what you think. FWIW, mine also came with the "TRD Sportshifter" option.[/QUOTE]

Is there a common issue with the pre-'10 manual trans? I test drive a 2012 TRD offroad 6 speed and loved the shifting. I also worked as a Toyota tech for 5 yrs, but haven't seen too much manual 2nd gen tacos to compare to. What is the "TRD Sportshifter?"

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I obviously don't know how to use the quote function yet! Sorry, still figuring it out...

8. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    It has been well established that the manual transmission (6 speed) isn't all that great. Many folks complain of difficulty shifting, worn clutches, and most of all having to replace the throwout bearing due to noises/and vibrations. Word is that Toyota has fixed these issues, and that the 6-speed manual trans since the 2010 MY is much improved. Now, these statements are only based on what I've read others posting on here, so I don't claim to have factual knowledge of this, however I will say that my 2012 manual transmission is fantastic (but then again, I don't have *that* many miles on it either).

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what the "TRD SportShifter" is, but it came as an additional option on my TRD Sport, and I believe it's similar to the URD shortshifter, providing a shorter, faster throw when shifting. Mine also came with this pretty nice TRD shift knob, so I got that going for me as well.

9. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    bjhn83

bjhn83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 DCSB Grandpa Shell
    3" Toytec lift, 285/75/16 BFG AT KO's on Pro Comp 7089's, Yellow fog lights, Satoshi
    I have an 05 6 speed and I throughly enjoy it. Shifts great and does what I need it to do. Had the throwout bearing replaced at about 80xxx miles and went ahead and got new clutch plates while they were tearing things apart. Moving parts are going to wear and vehicle maintenance is inevitable, but I am very pleased with the truck as a whole.

10. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    you gotta get the 6-speed manual if you upgrade! its totally aweseome!! makes the truck alot of fun to drive!

11. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    green hornet

green hornet Active Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD-OR V6
    I had a 2002 TRD OR that I absolutely loved. We had a second kid on the way, so I needed more space. I almost bought a third car just to hold onto my 2002, but ended up trading the 2002 (with only 72k miles on it) in for $10K, and walked out the door with a new 2010 TRD OR Double Cab.
    I've had it for almost 3 years now. I miss the straight-forwardness of a two door truck with a manual transmission and nothing that beeps at you from the dashboard and tries to lock up random wheels if you power-slide in the snow, but the comfort-level in the 2nd Gen is night and day compared to the 1st gen. I can now drive more than an hour and my back doesn't hurt. At this point, I couldn't go back. But I still miss my old truck. That thing was a beast. The salesman who sold me my truck actually bought my old one and I can visit it every now and then at the dealer when I'm in for service.

12. Aug 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I would go for it, I love the 6 speed in my 2012...I don't know that it is worth getting a short shifter as the synchros are slow enough where you'll grind them with the stock shifter if you're really pushing it...

Products Discussed in

To Top