Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Kayak rack help

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Razorback Fan
off road yota is on a distinguished road

off road yota's Tacoma Gallery
Kayak rack help

I have a 07 double cab with the factory roof rack. My wife and I are looking to buy some kayaks and now I am having trouble finding attatchments that will allow us to carry 2 kayaks at the same time on the factory rack. All the products I have seen so far are like putting on a whole other roof rack. Why even have the factory one? The kayaks are just too wide, so I can't strap them down with the factory rack. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Also if you have pics that would be awesome. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Check Yakimas website they might have some snap arounds for the factory rack to carry them.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Razorback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
Check Yakimas website they might have some snap arounds for the factory rack to carry them.
They have a lot of rack systems but most of them say "fits most factory racks" but aren't specific. I was hoping someone has put one on their truck and can tell me what it was and whether it worked properly. Thanks for your reply. I am amazed at how quickly everyone responds on this site. And everyone is so friendly. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
smokin2k is on a distinguished road
smokin2k's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar version to this on my Mazda 3. I don't know if something like this would work on the Tacoma roof rack. I'm not sure how it is set up.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
WW_Firefighter has a Yakima on his Tacoma

Nevermind - noticed you didn't want the whole rack...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Ray is selling yakima rack accessories (not kayak)... If the mounting is the same between the ski / snowboard rack and the kayak rack, you may be in luck.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-tailgate.html
Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
tacoforlife is on a distinguished road
tacoforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Yak is the way to go, my buddy has one of these Hullraisers http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/20A52095A1.aspx
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Razorback Fan

[quote=tacoforlife;320633]Yak is the way to go, my buddy has one of these Hullraisers http://www.autoanything.com/roof-rac...spx[/quote]

does your buddy own a tacoma?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
cappo will become famous soon enough
cappo's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just strap them down in the bed? I carry two 14' kayaks all the time. Havent had any issues with them or the law.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Razorback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappo View Post
Why not just strap them down in the bed? I carry two 14' kayaks all the time. Havent had any issues with them or the law.
I could possibly do that half the time but sometimes we are camping and would need the space in the bed for camping gear. On just fishing trips that would be sufficent. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Here's Mine

I have the J-Hulls w/ two 12' Wilderness Systems Kayaks on an aftermarket Thule Rack. I have taken the J Hulls off and used them on both Yakima and other folks factory racks no problem! You can also carry a 3rd Kayak inbetween. Twist the straps and you will not even know they are up there....which can be a bad thing in low spaces (some overhang banks for ATMs). By far my favorite way for getting my camping gear, kayaks & hitch rack for the bikes. Load em up for fun!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Razorback Fan

That's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
I have the J-Hulls w/ two 12' Wilderness Systems Kayaks on an aftermarket Thule Rack. I have taken the J Hulls off and used them on both Yakima and other folks factory racks no problem! You can also carry a 3rd Kayak inbetween. Twist the straps and you will not even know they are up there....which can be a bad thing in low spaces (some overhang banks for ATMs). By far my favorite way for getting my camping gear, kayaks & hitch rack for the bikes. Load em up for fun!
that is exactly what I was looking for. Where did u get the j hulls at? do you remember about what you paid for it. BTW that is a nice setup ya got there!!! Thanks again
Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road yota View Post
that is exactly what I was looking for. Where did u get the j hulls at? do you remember about what you paid for it. BTW that is a nice setup ya got there!!! Thanks again
They were a $112.50 a pair (not cheap) but they are extremely sturdy & hold em up there confidently at highway speeds. I've logged some long trips to Maine with them w/ no issues. Rock solid. There is a local company called rack warehouse which has been doing racks for years and has a huge online business. They just happen to be 5 miles up the road from me. You might find them on craigslist or ebay cheaper or hit a outdoor shop sporting a sale. I think Thule sells a fold down version now too (more $$) but seriously these anchor down in less than 5 minutes. You could also do one set and strap the other to the bars if money is an issue. I did two pairs because sometimes we stick a third between the two.

Welcome to the site btw and post up pics when you can in your gallery!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Razorback Fan

Thanks

Quote:
They were a $112.50 a pair (not cheap) but they are extremely sturdy & hold em up there confidently at highway speeds. I've logged some long trips to Maine with them w/ no issues. Rock solid. There is a local company called rack warehouse which has been doing racks for years and has a huge online business. They just happen to be 5 miles up the road from me. You might find them on craigslist or ebay cheaper or hit a outdoor shop sporting a sale. I think Thule sells a fold down version now too (more $$) but seriously these anchor down in less than 5 minutes. You could also do one set and strap the other to the bars if money is an issue. I did two pairs because sometimes we stick a third between the two.

Welcome to the site btw and post up pics when you can in your gallery!
Bought them today, they fit perfect on the factory rack. I really do appreciate all the help. I will get pics up as soon as I have time. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #15
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my homemade rack, Its on Toyota #3 now and still going strong. I made this rack to fit these two kayaks but you could adjust it as needed.
You do not have to drill any holes in your truck and it on take about 5 minutes to install it.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachunter View Post
Here is my homemade rack, Its on Toyota #3 now and still going strong. I made this rack to fit these two kayaks but you could adjust it as needed.
You do not have to drill any holes in your truck and it on take about 5 minutes to install it.

Now that looks great!...how do you attach it to the bed?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry it took so long for the reply.

The rack actually sits in the bed the rear of the rack is held in place by the factory bolts that attach the rear tie-downs and the front of the rack is held in place using a turnbuckle on each side going from the rack to the tie-downs from toyota.
When I used this rack on a 2001 Tacoma I used turnbuckles on all four corners and it was rock solid. I have hauled this rack many, many miles with zero problems.
Give me a shout if you have anymore questions and I will try not to take so long getting back to you.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
I have a factory roof rack and 2- 12 foot kayaks. I got the Yakima Hullraiser Aero. The Aero version come with the mounts so you don't have to buy anything else. They are J Craddles just like the Thule racks that Off Road Yota has. They should fit just fine.
I got mine from Amazon.com, cheapest I could find because of free shipping and of course NO TAXES!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
FastFalcon is on a distinguished road
FastFalcon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could you post a close up of how the Yakima rack attaches to the door frame?
Where do the towers sit? (on the weather strip, inboard or outboard from that?)
How far between the front and rear rack?

I need to buy a rack system of sorts now, and don't like the way the factory rack looks, but am worried about the Yakima rack scratching up or damaging the door frame. I'll be carrying 2 14 foot kayaks.

Another option I thought of is just one bar on top of the car, and then getting a "dry dock" that attaches to the trailer hitch.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Wag More Bark Less

Here you go

Here are some photos. The rack has been on the truck since I bought it April 2007 from Rack Warehouse & keep it on year round. I do occasionally loosen up and clean/wax under towers in nicer weather. No noticeable scratching or damage from the rack. FWIW, the roof was pretty dirty when I took the photos, but you get the idea how it works. Load Bars, Towers & Fairing cost me around $225. I can measure the distance tomorrow if you'd like.
Attached Thumbnails
Kayak rack help-img_2068.jpg   Kayak rack help-img_2071.jpg   Kayak rack help-img_2073.jpg