Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

About Sliders...

Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
Who makes the best frame sliders?
Are weld-ons worth the extra install compared to bolt-ons? (For a non-serious off roader)
Can bolt-ons be used as Hi-Lift jack points at any given part of their structure?
I won't call out any companies specifically but I have seen some vendors supply some piss poor sliders in TW. I am only saying this after seeing them in person and what happens to them when they are taken offroad and abused MILDLY.

*Mounting legs...For your model I would suggest 5 mounting legs. If the company your looking at is only providing 4 then I would steer clear. The more mounts the better.

*Length... The longer the better and the more load that's spread out the better. Some companies in here provide sliders with poor mounting options because IMO the mounts are way to far back from the end of the tube in the front.

They will claim it's because of the forward cab mount, but they just can't think outside the box. The engine is the heaviest part of your truck. If the front tube doesn't come to within 2" of the front fender I wouldn't want it. Also the mounting leg should be right up against the cab mount not 3" back from it.

*Material....Personally if you treat them as you say you will not need DOM. Most of the guys I know who have exo cages and beat their trucks do not run DOM. If you have the money go for it. If your on a budget steer clear.

* Design...personally I don't need a slider to be farther out then my wheels. I got sliders to keep the bottom of my cab in working order and for a recovery point not to kick my truck in a direction. If I drive into a rock thats my dumb ass fault. My sliders are mounted up to the bashed in pinch weld to gain clearance. The lower the slider the more you will hit it. Personally I think all should bash their pinch welds before mounting sliders and then mount them up as high as possible.

* Price.... some are much more money then others. I have even seen some "left over" sliders on sale in here for FAR much more then I paid for my hybrid weld on sliders. Personally anyone wanting more then $400 for a basic slider is crazy IMO.

* Finish....if your only mall crawling get powdercoat. Most will say it can not be touched up, but that's 100% false. Powder coat if a standard color can be touched up and blended in just like paint with paint. If you get them for actual sliding then spray paint them.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I won't call out any companies specifically but I have seen some vendors supply some piss poor sliders in TW. I am only saying this after seeing them in person and what happens to them when they are taken offroad and abused MILDLY.

*Mounting legs...For your model I would suggest 5 mounting legs. If the company your looking at is only providing 4 then I would steer clear. The more mounts the better.

*Length... The longer the better and the more load that's spread out the better. Some companies in here provide sliders with poor mounting options because IMO the mounts are way to far back from the end of the tube in the front.

They will claim it's because of the forward cab mount, but they just can't think outside the box. The engine is the heaviest part of your truck. If the front tube doesn't come to within 2" of the front fender I wouldn't want it. Also the mounting leg should be right up against the cab mount not 3" back from it.

*Material....Personally if you treat them as you say you will not need DOM. Most of the guys I know who have exo cages and beat their trucks do not run DOM. If you have the money go for it. If your on a budget steer clear.

* Design...personally I don't need a slider to be farther out then my wheels. I got sliders to keep the bottom of my cab in working order and for a recovery point not to kick my truck in a direction. If I drive into a rock thats my dumb ass fault. My sliders are mounted up to the bashed in pinch weld to gain clearance. The lower the slider the more you will hit it. Personally I think all should bash their pinch welds before mounting sliders and then mount them up as high as possible.

* Price.... some are much more money then others. I have even seen some "left over" sliders on sale in here for FAR much more then I paid for my hybrid weld on sliders. Personally anyone wanting more then $400 for a basic slider is crazy IMO.

* Finish....if your only mall crawling get powdercoat. Most will say it can not be touched up, but that's 100% false. Powder coat if a standard color can be touched up and blended in just like paint with paint. If you get them for actual sliding then spray paint them.
You do bring up good points, however, for the average person looking for an affordable set of real rock sliders I disagree with a lot of these comments. Your comments are personal opinion. I'd like to see some of these pictures of TW vendor sliders that have failed. The vendor should know if this is happening so they can make adjustments where necessary. How much did they cost? Were they a lower end style step bar that was being called a "slider" since this name is so trendy these days. Call them out, it's what the forum is for. But with actual facts and pictures. It's a lot of hard work to build a set of bolt on sliders. Just wrapping them for shipping takes 25 minutes. People have this illusion that building a set of sliders is fun and only takes half a day. I welcome them to come over and give it a shot. I'll stand back and watch.

Having built more sliders than I can count now, I'd never lower the cost of mine even in times like these where orders have slowed to a crawl. My family needs to eat and I know what my time is worth, and it's worth a lot more than what I'm offering my sliders for. I would never offer them for less than $400 unless I wanted to have even less money to survive and run a small business in this day and age. That equals out of business.

4 legs are adequate for the DCLB as long as the end legs are near the end of the slider, and the other 2 are evenly spaced and the mounts are logical and material up to par. Keep in mind this is a set of "affordable" sliders that you can buy and will work great for 98% of any situation you may encounter. If you plan on bashing the hell out of your truck and being the big dog on the trail for the sake of showing off, then sure, build your own and make them 10 times overkill. Which would probably include adding a 5th leg. I can add a 5th leg, but the price will go up and even less people will be interested. I'm guessing 90% of the members here want them for the just in case scenario, and don't really have the desire to go beat their Tacoma into the ground since it's most likely their daily driver.

I felt the need to post since the OP may think he needs to steer clear of the vendors on here, who are the ones who go the extra mile to offer a quality product. I've only seen good things from the vendors here on TW, but would love to see what you're talking about if this is in fact true. Was it a large company or a smaller vendor who's trying to offer a better product than what a Google search will bring up?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...dclb-bolt.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...aclb-4dsb.html
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
I have bolt-ons... They were a PITA to install, but they are very strong! As they say, they need a bottom bolts for more strenght...

Actually, if you are not an offroader it is better to have something that will resist everything... Just in case
I was wondering if they were higher enough and far out enough from the body to stop the all annoying shopping cart bang into truck situation
Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
I disagree with a lot of these comments. Your comments are personal opion and having built more sliders than I can count now, I'd never lower the cost of mine even in times like these where orders have slowed to a crawl. My family needs to eat and I know what my time is worth...and would never offer them for less than $400 unless I wanted to lower the quality to what you can see from some of the larger name companies.
Off the top of my head:

Equipment costs, R&D time/costs, raw material costs, costs for subbing out parts runs (mounting plates/brackets), tube forming & cutting costs, hardware costs, the time spent to properly assemble and weld it all up, and shipping costs (including time spent getting the sliders to the shipping point). Oh, and the cost/time of mistakes and running a business. This isn't a hobby.

I've worked in a large fabrication plant and I've run a small business. It all adds up. To Brian and the rest of the vendors, I'm happy to pay what I see as a fair price for a quality product.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nobody is making a ton of $ on sliders. I'm sure everyone selling them has them priced as low as they can for the sake of making a sale, and still making it half way worth it for them to even offer them.

If someone wants them dirt cheap, look on ebay. Everything around us is costing more and more every day, not keeping up with it all is the best way to put yourself out of business and there goes one more option for guys to choose from. btw...mine haven't gone up since I started building them 5 years ago, but they have gone down...since I'd rather sell a pair then not, and understand that none of us are laying on a pile of $ these days.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
Never LBS
Molon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SFC 11B40B4
Molon Labe's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Famous Fab bolt on sliders. the price was good and the quality is great. here is a link to me coating them. I am post #270
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/fam...liders-14.html
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
--- snip ---
Quote:
--- snip ---
I'd like to see some of these pictures of TW vendor sliders that have failed. The vendor should know if this is happening so they can make adjustments where necessary. ... Call them out, it's what the forum is for. But with actual facts and pictures.
--- snip ---
I felt the need to post since the OP may think he needs to steer clear of the vendors on here, who are the ones who go the extra mile to offer a quality product. I've only seen good things from the vendors here on TW, but would love to see what you're talking about if this is in fact true.
--- snip ---
I wondered if someone was going to bring that up.
XXXX, how about it?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
Taco Vending Machine

I remember a few years back seeing a pic of a red 2nd gen where the front of the slider bent and took out the body. Exactly what you're trying to avoid when buying a set. Obviously the leg was very far back and not where it needed to be for max strength. I also think the diameter of the material was 1-1/2", a little on the small side for the larger 2nd gen truck imo.

I used that image when designing my first set on Robert's truck (barlowrs) and put the leg about as far foward as I could. My 2nd gen sliders have the first leg ahead of the cross member and is further forward than any other sliders offered by anyone else. Same goes for the rear leg. Anything can get tweaked if bashed on hard enough, but so far mine have had no complaints. (that I know of)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
I remember a few years back seeing a pic of a red 2nd gen where the front of the slider bent and took out the body. Exactly what you're trying to avoid when buying a set. Obviously the leg was very far back and not where it needed to be for max strength. I also think the diameter of the material was 1-1/2", a little on the small side for the larger 2nd gen truck imo.

I used that image when designing my first set on Robert's truck (barlowrs) and put the leg about as far foward as I could. My 2nd gen sliders have the first leg ahead of the cross member and is further forward than any other sliders offered by anyone else. Same goes for the rear leg. Anything can get tweaked if bashed on hard enough, but so far mine have had no complaints. (that I know of)
I spent a fair amount of time rooting around TW before deciding on FF sliders (no offense, Brian), and I don't remember seeing anyone complain about any failures of any TW vendors' sliders. This, in a forum where people complain about damn near everything. I haven't been here long so I may have missed some failures, but I was surprised to see XXXX say, "I won't call out any companies specifically but I have seen some vendors supply some piss poor sliders in TW."
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't see any issues with the design of your sliders. Where I have seen some problems with sliders is with the mounting of the front leg to the frame, either the placement or the method of attachment. Your's looks good. The forward mount takes the worst hits since that is where the truck often makes the first hard contact. It's also the part most often neglected. I don't see any issue with your pricing either.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I'm solely responding to OP, I haven't read the other posts. My bolt on/zero drill sliders will withstand lifting with a hi-lift. Weld-ons are great, if you don't mind welding on the frame and never removing them.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #32
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I'm solely responding to OP, I haven't read the other posts. My bolt on/zero drill sliders will withstand lifting with a hi-lift. Weld-ons are great, if you don't mind welding on the frame and never removing them.
Can you post a pic or elaborate a bit more on this bolt on zero drill? To my knowledge it's next to impossible to get the strength necessary without having to drill the bottom of the frame since there are just no good mounting points (holes or bolts) to use. I'd love to see what you're talking about. Are they the style that use a horizontal u-bolt? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
Never LBS
Molon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shedMolon Labe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SFC 11B40B4
Molon Labe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you post a pic or elaborate a bit more on this bolt on zero drill? To my knowledge it's next to impossible to get the strength necessary without having to drill the bottom of the frame since there are just no good mounting points (holes or bolts) to use. I'd love to see what you're talking about. Are they the style that use a horizontal u-bolt? Thanks.
Beefed Taco, here you go: these are Famous Fabs (Dwreck's) Sliders and they are direct bolt-on with not drilling or modification needed.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^ Those look pretty fuckin bad ass!!! I may be sold on the FF's. Anyone know if he can add plates to that?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #35
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You do bring up good points, however, for the average person looking for an affordable set of real rock sliders I disagree with a lot of these comments.

Like?

You only bring up one point. The lack of having 4 legs and IMO only because YOU supply 4 legs on yours.

Your comments are personal opinion.

No kidding They weren't stated as "facts". Did you not see the "I" and "personally"?

I'd like to see some of these pictures of TW vendor sliders that have failed.

Are you saying I'm lying? If so PM me next time. All I am trying to do is help OP.

I'm not calling out their names. If you don't know who makes shitty sliders then do some research if you really care, which I doubt you really do.

The vendor should know if this is happening so they can make adjustments where necessary.

One vendor has...the other hasn't yet from what I have seen, but I don't troll new vendors slider threads. Pretty sure calling out vendors isn't the way to do it. I PM vendors and if months later they are still supplying the same problematic products I will call them out. Pretty sure you would like the same or maybe you want all your mistakes criticized on a forum from the way you are going after the ones I'm talking about.

How much did they cost?

How would I know? I didn't buy them.

Were they a lower end style step bar that was being called a "slider" since this name is so trendy these days.

I think I might know the difference between a step bar and a slider Did you not read what I actually wrote?

Call them out, it's what the forum is for.

No. If you really care then PM me.

But with actual facts and pictures.

Yes, cause seeing things first hand isn't acceptable

It's a lot of hard work to build a set of bolt on sliders. Just wrapping them for shipping takes 25 minutes. People have this illusion that building a set of sliders is fun and only takes half a day. I welcome them to come over and give it a shot. I'll stand back and watch.

This maters to who? If you can't make money offering a product either become more efficient or don't offer them. Like you said it's not like you do it for fun.

Having built more sliders than I can count now, I'd never lower the cost of mine even in times like these where orders have slowed to a crawl. My family needs to eat and I know what my time is worth, and it's worth a lot more than what I'm offering my sliders for.

So why are you doing it then?

I would never offer them for less than $400 unless I wanted to have even less money to survive and run a small business in this day and age. That equals out of business.

So what's a good price then?

4 legs are adequate for the DCLB as long as the end legs are near the end of the slider, and the other 2 are evenly spaced and the mounts are logical and material up to par.

In YOUR opinion right? or is this fact? I don't see any "I" or "personally" or "IMO".

You state things as facts after calling me out when I stated mine as opinion.

Pot calling kettle black?

Keep in mind this is a set of "affordable" sliders than you can buy and will work great for 98% of any situation you may encounter. If you plan on bashing the hell out of your truck and being the big dog on the trail for the sake of showing off, then sure, build your own and make them 10 times overkill.

No kidding. I was answering OP's questions. Did you not read that part either? No one ever brought up hard core wheeling.

"Big dog on the trail"....lolz...

How did you know that was me

Which would probably include adding a 5th leg. I can add a 5th leg, but the price will go up and even less people will be interested.

So are you taking this personally because I said steer clear of 4 leg fabricators and that's why your being like this when I was clearly stating my opinion and trying to help a member?

I'm guessing 90% of the members here want them for the just in case scenario, and don't really have the desire to go beat their Tacoma into the ground since it's most likely their daily driver.

What about the other 10%?

As far as I "feel" 4 legs are for AC, reg cabs get 3-4 legs and DCLB's get 5 legs. This is what I KNOW works. I'm not speculating or guessing for the OP. Just stating what I KNOW will hold up. I have not seen your sliders in person and maybe they are the best 4 leg sliders out there, but like I said I only commented on what I have seen in person.

I felt the need to post since the OP may think he needs to steer clear of the vendors on here, who are the ones who go the extra mile to offer a quality product.

Going the Extra mile is NOT deleting a leg IN MY OPINION. If you feel it is then maybe that's why I don't have your sliders.

I've only seen good things from the vendors here on TW, but would love to see what you're talking about if this is in fact true.

Nope it's all bullshit

If you really want to know then don't be an a-hole and accuse people of lying. PM me. Since you have repeatedly eluded that I'm full of shit:

PM Hodge (mod) and ask him about his sliders.
PM Brutalguyracing and ask him about the last time he saw ME jack a truck up when we were camping to change out an alternator.
PM Jaytl and ask him if he can open up his access cab or just ask him whats bent up in it's way.

Was it a large company or a smaller vendor who's trying to offer a better product than what a Google search will bring up?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...dclb-bolt.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...aclb-4dsb.html

LOL
Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
wait, I'm lost....so who's the asshole?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
wait, I'm lost....so who's the asshole?

Usually me, but IN MY OPINION it's the TW vendor in this case.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
Usually me, but IN MY OPINION it's the TW vendor in this case.
I'm sorry I offended you. You did state "some" vendors, and not all, my bad. Your original post has good info, and maybe did take it a bit personal, but just wanted to shed some light on what it takes to actually build sliders and make a dollar when it's over since you say I'm "crazy". I figured you probably weren't even talking about mine, or even knew of mine, but felt the need to post since this is my day job and do know the in's and out of making sliders people will actually buy, even if they are over $400 and only have 4 legs.

I encourage anyone to go build a set of 5 legged sliders with all the bells and whistles to sell them for less than $400 and let the forum know when they're finished and if they'll be doing it again. There will be a ton of guys interested in them that's for sure.

I wasn't aware sliders were failing on the trails, and you are correct, I didn't do a search and should have first. I do respect the fact you prefer to use PM instead of the board, which is respectful of you. After re reading your post, it seems very informative for the OP.

A lot of people have this idea that sliders are simple to make and can be farted out in a matter of hours and should cost next to nothing. This is probably due to big companies with deep pockets making it hard for the small guy who tries to offer a better product but is forced to hand build everything due to lack of expensive machinery. I apologize to you and I'm sorry I offended you. You were simply offering up facts you've learned first hand over time.

Sorry to the OP for helping to vere this thread off course.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I personally could care less whether a slider has 4 legs or 5. What matters to me is where they are placed, how they are constructed, and how they are attached. That is where one design should be compared to another.

I would not have a problem running Beefed Tacos sliders.

A lot of poor engineering gets covered up by just making things bigger and heavier. That is frankly my biggest complaint with a lot of the off road accessories I see. I mean, hell. you could make a slider with 8 legs and it wouldn't make it better. I don't want anything on my truck that is heavier than it absolutely has to be. There is a price to pay for that over kill just like there is a price to pay for installing something too weak.

Anybody who decides to build accessories for us has to balance these things to do an intelligent job. Designing parts so that the 5% of those who bash their trucks won't destroy it, means the rest of us will carry around a bunch of detrimental weight. Nothing comes free.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #40
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
^^^^^ Those look pretty fuckin bad ass!!! I may be sold on the FF's. Anyone know if he can add plates to that?
Sure!