1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About Sliders...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xaqori, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    xaqori

xaqori [OP] Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Who makes the best frame sliders?
    Are weld-ons worth the extra install compared to bolt-ons? (For a non-serious off roader)
    Can bolt-ons be used as Hi-Lift jack points at any given part of their structure?

2. Oct 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    xaqori

xaqori [OP] Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Anyone?

3. Oct 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    I like avid sliders.

4. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I don't yet have sliders but have been looking into them. So this is all opinion based on my research.

Material strength seems to be the big differentiator, with kick-out and kick-up options available if you want them. Designs are similar in most cases, and there's not a lot of high-end engineering involved.

For a non-serious offroader, strength is probably not a huge concern. Some bolt-ons have an option to drill additional holes on the bottom of the frame for added strength. Those are the only bolt-ons I would put a jack under, and even then only if that was my only option.

5. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
  6. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    There are many good sliders, and you will never get a consensus on which is best. You just need to research and look at the pros and cons.

A properly designed bolt on is just as strong as a weld on. In fact it can be stronger. Some of the weld ons I've seen are so poorly welded that I wouldn't trust them at all. If you want a bolt on, get one designed to bolt.

In many cases the frame is weaker than the actual slider.

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    one thing you can do is bolt them on now and than weld them later.

8. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    There is a thread at the top of this section just for sliders, they will tell you everything you need to know. Most vendors will tell you to never hi-lift your sliders to lift the truck on it's side due to liability.

9. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
  10. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    This ^

My bolt on sliders are designed to take the full weight of the truck dropping on a rock so a Hi-lift is not really a good test for strength we test with rocks :D . And you will need to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the frame to install them.

11. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Bolt ons are just as strong as weld ons, if not stronger. They are more of a pain to install though.

12. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    SOOOO True!!!!

13. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Bolt on's can be removed and sold for extra $ when you decide to sell the truck. Or replaced much easier if someone decides to crash their vehicle into yours. There probably aren't many companies who will sell you just one slider with the exception of vendors on this forum. So keep this in mind when you're looking for the "most affordable" sliders out there. You get what you pay for.

14. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    ^ Exactly what I was considering if I felt the need.

^ Not that I plan on selling, but if I need to refinish them I would want to take them off to do it.

^ Why I am considering BAMF once I have the cash available. I want them to actually function as sliders if needed.

15. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    Questor

Questor Adventure Driver

Member:
    Diamond Bar, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 Long Bed
    Bolt on's can be removed if you need to re-powdercoat or paint them.

I'd go for bolt on.
    Q~

16. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
  17. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Look at some of the vendors near the end of the forum sections. I am getting a set of bolt on BAMF sliders tomorrow. But many make good sliders..but not all make bolt on.

Bolt-on vs weld-on for me is i dont do really serious offroading..i have no friends who weld..and i rather not have it permanently on the truck. Bolt-on can still take the punishment the weld on's can.

BAMF bolt-on's can be used to jack the truck up as long as you drill the 4 additional holes in the bottom of the frame.

18. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    I have bolt-ons... They were a PITA to install, but they are very strong! As they say, they need a bottom bolts for more strenght...

Actually, if you are not an offroader it is better to have something that will resist everything... Just in case

19. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    The strength of weld on sliders are entirely dependent on the skill of the welder. Some of the spots are not so easy to get at. You also burn all the paint off the back leaving it vulnerable to rust unless you touch it up.

A bolt on will always be the full strength that the designer intended, assuming you can properly tighten a nut.

20. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I won't call out any companies specifically but I have seen some vendors supply some piss poor sliders in TW. I am only saying this after seeing them in person and what happens to them when they are taken offroad and abused MILDLY.

*Mounting legs...For your model I would suggest 5 mounting legs. If the company your looking at is only providing 4 then I would steer clear. The more mounts the better.

*Length... The longer the better and the more load that's spread out the better. Some companies in here provide sliders with poor mounting options because IMO the mounts are way to far back from the end of the tube in the front.

They will claim it's because of the forward cab mount, but they just can't think outside the box. The engine is the heaviest part of your truck. If the front tube doesn't come to within 2" of the front fender I wouldn't want it. Also the mounting leg should be right up against the cab mount not 3" back from it.

*Material....Personally if you treat them as you say you will not need DOM. Most of the guys I know who have exo cages and beat their trucks do not run DOM. If you have the money go for it. If your on a budget steer clear.

* Design...personally I don't need a slider to be farther out then my wheels. I got sliders to keep the bottom of my cab in working order and for a recovery point not to kick my truck in a direction. If I drive into a rock thats my dumb ass fault. My sliders are mounted up to the bashed in pinch weld to gain clearance. The lower the slider the more you will hit it. Personally I think all should bash their pinch welds before mounting sliders and then mount them up as high as possible.

* Price.... some are much more money then others. I have even seen some "left over" sliders on sale in here for FAR much more then I paid for my hybrid weld on sliders. Personally anyone wanting more then $400 for a basic slider is crazy IMO.

* Finish....if your only mall crawling get powdercoat. Most will say it can not be touched up, but that's 100% false. Powder coat if a standard color can be touched up and blended in just like paint with paint. If you get them for actual sliding then spray paint them.

Products Discussed in

To Top