Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

About Sliders...

Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
About Sliders...

Who makes the best frame sliders?
Are weld-ons worth the extra install compared to bolt-ons? (For a non-serious off roader)
Can bolt-ons be used as Hi-Lift jack points at any given part of their structure?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I like avid sliders.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I don't yet have sliders but have been looking into them. So this is all opinion based on my research.

Material strength seems to be the big differentiator, with kick-out and kick-up options available if you want them. Designs are similar in most cases, and there's not a lot of high-end engineering involved.

For a non-serious offroader, strength is probably not a huge concern. Some bolt-ons have an option to drill additional holes on the bottom of the frame for added strength. Those are the only bolt-ons I would put a jack under, and even then only if that was my only option.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
There are many good sliders, and you will never get a consensus on which is best. You just need to research and look at the pros and cons.

A properly designed bolt on is just as strong as a weld on. In fact it can be stronger. Some of the weld ons I've seen are so poorly welded that I wouldn't trust them at all. If you want a bolt on, get one designed to bolt.

In many cases the frame is weaker than the actual slider.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
one thing you can do is bolt them on now and than weld them later.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
There is a thread at the top of this section just for sliders, they will tell you everything you need to know. Most vendors will tell you to never hi-lift your sliders to lift the truck on it's side due to liability.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-2nd-gens.html
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
There are many good sliders, and you will never get a consensus on which is best. You just need to research and look at the pros and cons.

A properly designed bolt on is just as strong as a weld on. In fact it can be stronger. Some of the weld ons I've seen are so poorly welded that I wouldn't trust them at all. If you want a bolt on, get one designed to bolt.

In many cases the frame is weaker than the actual slider.
This ^

My bolt on sliders are designed to take the full weight of the truck dropping on a rock so a Hi-lift is not really a good test for strength we test with rocks . And you will need to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the frame to install them.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Bolt ons are just as strong as weld ons, if not stronger. They are more of a pain to install though.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Bolt ons are just as strong as weld ons, if not stronger. They are more of a pain to install though.
SOOOO True!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bolt on's can be removed and sold for extra $ when you decide to sell the truck. Or replaced much easier if someone decides to crash their vehicle into yours. There probably aren't many companies who will sell you just one slider with the exception of vendors on this forum. So keep this in mind when you're looking for the "most affordable" sliders out there. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
one thing you can do is bolt them on now and than weld them later.
^ Exactly what I was considering if I felt the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Bolt on's can be removed and sold for extra $ when you decide to sell the truck. Or replaced much easier if someone decides to crash their vehicle into yours. There probably aren't many companies who will sell you just one slider with the exception of vendors on this forum. So keep this in mind when you're looking for the "most affordable" sliders out there.
^ Not that I plan on selling, but if I need to refinish them I would want to take them off to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
This ^

My bolt on sliders are designed to take the full weight of the truck dropping on a rock so a Hi-lift is not really a good test for strength we test with rocks . And you will need to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the frame to install them.
^ Why I am considering BAMF once I have the cash available. I want them to actually function as sliders if needed.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Adventure Driver
Questor is on a distinguished road

Questor's Tacoma Gallery
Bolt on's can be removed if you need to re-powdercoat or paint them.

I'd go for bolt on.
Q~
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
Who makes the best frame sliders?
Are weld-ons worth the extra install compared to bolt-ons? (For a non-serious off roader)
Can bolt-ons be used as Hi-Lift jack points at any given part of their structure?
Look at some of the vendors near the end of the forum sections. I am getting a set of bolt on BAMF sliders tomorrow. But many make good sliders..but not all make bolt on.

Bolt-on vs weld-on for me is i dont do really serious offroading..i have no friends who weld..and i rather not have it permanently on the truck. Bolt-on can still take the punishment the weld on's can.

BAMF bolt-on's can be used to jack the truck up as long as you drill the 4 additional holes in the bottom of the frame.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
I have bolt-ons... They were a PITA to install, but they are very strong! As they say, they need a bottom bolts for more strenght...

Actually, if you are not an offroader it is better to have something that will resist everything... Just in case
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
The strength of weld on sliders are entirely dependent on the skill of the welder. Some of the spots are not so easy to get at. You also burn all the paint off the back leaving it vulnerable to rust unless you touch it up.

A bolt on will always be the full strength that the designer intended, assuming you can properly tighten a nut.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
To my knowledge, Famous Fabrication makes the only bolt-on sliders that require no drilling. They're strong enough to use as a lifting point and can take a hit on the trail. Derek does a fine job and Grade 8 hardware is included. All that's needed before installation is paint, but I used a flap wheel to dress up the already clean mounting brackets.

I'm painting mine today and installing them tomorrow.