Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

cabin air filter

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #41
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Do it if you want to.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #42
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez62566 View Post
My 05 did not come with one should i add one ? or dont worry.
Seems they skipped the 05's my x-runner didnt come with one either, i get mine at the stealership for about $20
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #43
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBYE V8 View Post
I got mine awhile back but am just now getting time to post what they look like....just in case someone is interested in cheap ones. I'm very happy with fit, performance and especially the price:
Logical-Source appears to be the North American distributor for TYC parts. TYC also makes a non-chirpy blower.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
kenstar is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Ken
kenstar's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up

Those cheap filters are no longer 3$ and change.

Subtotal: $5.54 Shipping & Handling: $9.55 Total: $15.09
Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #45
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstar View Post
Just a heads up

Buy more than one.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #48
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Bad reasoning. How is the air coming in from the windows filtered?
You are assuming that they go down
Old 08-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #49
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Did you read any of the thread? It's behind the glove box.
I find its best to just read the first entry then click to the last page and ask a question that was most likly already asked and answered.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #50
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced mine for the first time. I know most do not like Fram and I have no intentions of using their oil filters any more after reading the oil filter thread, I don't see a lot of difference in the air filters so I bought a Fram off Amazon. Was the cheapest place I could find. They have a $3 mail in rebate on them right now for up to 2 per household. Actually bought 3 though, for the wife's car and my step-daughters. All 3 were in the $15-$18 range and I will get $6 of that back so I thought that wasn't too bad.

They have other rebates going also. Bought an engine air filter from them again on Amazon was the cheapest for my step-daughters Mazda 6 which are kinda expensive. Also picked up one of them for the wife's car. Buy 2 and get a $5 gas card.

They have rebates on the oil filters but I'm not touching them.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #51
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I still say if you spend more than $25 on filters over the life of the vehicle, you're throwing money away. Haven't spent a penny on it in over 3 years. Unless you're trying to filter allergens in which case buying new allergen filters make sense. But to each his own.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #52
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I just replaced mine for the first time. I know most do not like Fram and I have no intentions of using their oil filters any more after reading the oil filter thread, I don't see a lot of difference in the air filters so I bought a Fram off Amazon.
The Fram air filters are a solid construction. They aren't like oil filters where the media is hidden.
But I would be interested in seeing flow and filtration data from an independent lab (not an Amsoil dealer).

Some have reported that they do not fit the airbox very well, and given the small difference in cost, I stick with Toyota anyways.

Cabin air filters? Who cares. If their marketing hype is accurate, they'll help clean the cabin and eliminate odors.
If not, it's no worse than having no cabin filter, the way it was for almost 100 years.

Incidentally, while activated charcoal is a good filter, baking soda does absolutely nothing to "freshen" the fridge.
Melinda Lee talked about that a few weeks ago on her radio show. Arm & Hammer doesn't make any direct claims to effectiveness, they simply list it as a possible use.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #53
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Some have reported that they do not fit the airbox very well, and given the small difference in cost, I stick with Toyota anyways.

Cabin air filters? Who cares. If their marketing hype is accurate, they'll help clean the cabin and eliminate odors.
If not, it's no worse than having no cabin filter, the way it was for almost 100 years.
Are you talking about the engine filters not fitting? Because the cabin filter fit perfect for me. On a side note Toyota had the cabin filter in sideways and had to pull really hard to get it out. Was afraid it would tear and if the new one hadn't fit then I'd be without one temporarily.

And as for not changing/having the cabin filter, that was kinda my way of thinking also. But my step-daughters car (wife's old car) was bought new in 07 and had never been changed. Her air doesn't cool very well so I thought hell it couldn't hurt to change it. That thing was . I don't see how much air could get through it. So It does seem to blow better, just waiting to hear from her if it cools better. Thing is, before the cabin filters, where did all that debris go? I do remember pine straw and such coming in the vents before on older pre-filter vehicles. So I guess they do serve a purpose. Just not sure it's worth the $. Already replaced mine and my wife's at only 1 1/2 years roughly and at 15 and 20k. Didn't think they would be that dirty.

Funny thing is mine was due to be changed but my engine filter still looks almost new. I would have guessed the opposite.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Are you talking about the engine filters not fitting?
Ya, engine air filters.

I've used both Toyota and Fram cabin filters (wife's '04 Rav4 has one) for years and never had a problem.

I would just buy the Fram filters from Wally World, but I buy them so rarely that I would never remember the number, and Wally World doesn't have an application guide on the shelf.

On changing them, ya... whether Toyota says every 30k, or someone on the net says $25 over the life of the vehicle (WTF?)... They're $15 each.
Just change it once a year. $1.25/month is not going to break the bank, and they aren't hard to change.

NOT changing them will cause anything from restricted air flow and poor AC/heater performance, to a clogged evaporator and plugged evaporator drain.
Plugged evaporator drain can lead to condensation leaking out onto the carpeting in the cab.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #55
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
or someone on the net says $25 over the life of the vehicle (WTF?)... They're $15 each.
Check the link in my sig. It's in the DIY page too. I keep one in there to keep debris out.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Check the link in my sig. It's in the DIY page too. I keep one in there to keep debris out.
I've seen that, and one was installed in my home furnace when I moved in back in '94.

Didn't filter worth a crap, and clogged easily, overloading the blower motor.
My AC A-Coil was completely plugged with lint when I replaced it.
I've been using the expensive 3M "Filtrete" filters in the furnace, Dust in the house is lower, and the A-Coil and ducts are remaining clean now after 10 years.

May as well just remove the filter.

Again... $15/year. Why screw around with mickey mouse solutions that provide worse performance? You still have to remove and clean the DIY... most of the work of doing the job is removing and replacing.

Why not just replace it?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #57
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . .
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
. . .
LOL!

To each his own, but sometimes it seems that DIY mods are done just because they can be done. If it's a cosmetic change, I can understand that... it makes the item "yours", but something like the cabin air filter?
Toyota says every 30k, so they are assuming about every 3 years.
That's $5/year. You can do it every oil change and not break the bank.

It's like the engine air filter. Toyota says 30k? I just do it once a year, same with a lot of other inspect/change items that aren't needed that soon. If it's okay, it's okay and doesn't need to be replaced... but at least it's been looked at.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #59
SKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
SKULLY's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #60
Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic
BBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstar View Post
Just a heads up

Thanks for the update, I added that info to my post about the price. Order 6 and they are still super cheap at $7.20 each. It's a shame they upped the price.

BTW these are the same filters used in the Pontiac Vibe (maybe even Toyota Matrix).

As Rich keeps pointing out...it's just not worth my time to make, rinse and dry a reusable filter that does not perform as well when you can buy better disposable ones this cheap. But then again everyone will value their time differently.

Products Discussed in this Thread