1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Autobody shop using used parts for repair

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SCTacomaCA, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Nothing wrong with used parts, as long as they're in decent condition. Your insurance policy dictates whether you will receive new, used, or aftermarket parts in the event of a collision. I'd recommend EVERYONE familiarize themselves with their individual company's policies, as they differ from company to company, state to state, province to province, etc...

OEM used parts will ALWAYS fit better than new aftermarket, which is a bonus. Maybe ask the shop to see the condition of the used part before they put it on?

I can say for sure that in my shop, when using used parts, if the part is no good, I send it back. Every time... But, I run a reputable shop...

2. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Hopefully it's the other person's insurance taking care of this, which is why him being familiar with his policy might not matter in this situation.

My truck was hit when it had just a couple of thousand miles on it and was only a couple of months old to me. I insisted that all replacement parts be OEM, and requested that I see the receipt for them as well as get my old parts back. This was also done with a lifetime warranty on rust and workmanship, covered by Progressive after the 10 year warranty from the bodyshop expires. The person that hit me had Progressive, my insurance did not have to get involved at all.

I was very lucky to be hit by a Progressive client.

3. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    XBrown

XBrown Spartacus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Xavier
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5
    I agree with those who say "sell it after it's fixed". I was rear ended a few years ago. The damage wasn't that bad ($1500), but after having it fixed, I never felt the same about the truck.

4. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Mine had $3500 damage, was hit in the rear side bumper/quarter panel area. Can never tell that it had that much injury.

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Unless you have OEM coverage on your policy, they will use aftermarket parts to keep costs down. And, if there are any problems caused by using aftermarket parts, the warranty won't cover it. Tell them you want the frame checked. Hopefully they will total it out.

Good luck.

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab

The only post on here that makes sense. State Farm told me on a a two year or older vehicle it was THERE option as what parts to use, my attorney concurred after reading my policy.

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    Because of your great pics...I can tell you that I could repair that truck using OEM parts [used] and fix that truck better than new for $4k. It looks A LOT worse then it really is. The reason why I say that it would be better than new is because the factory has a variance of .09 of an inch to play with. I brought my Taco within .03! and did a 1000 times better prepping and painting the entire front structure ....inner and outer

p.s.....glad you are okay and don't listen to naysayers about wether or not the truck will ever be ok again. It depends on the tech fixing it.

8. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    SCTacomaCA

SCTacomaCA [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks

This kind of info definitely helps.
    I guess I will just find out what kind of warranty they offer on their work/parts. It's a very reputable shop.
    I have my insurance policy at work today so I'll be reading through it.

Little more info on the accident.
    I wasn't in my truck when it happened. It was parked in front of my house. I heard what sounded like a bomb at about 2 am. Looked out my window and saw my truck diagnal in the street. Went outside and saw a F250 on the sidewalk where my truck was parked but nobody around except my neighbors. Couple minutes later 2 girls come walking down the street freaking out.
    Their story was sopme guy was driving them home from the bar in their car, hit my truck then got out and ran. Both girls were hammered. As of today (10 days later) neither has been charged with a DUI and the police have not given me the owner of the trucks insurance info.

For the people saying I should sell immediately after the repair because the truck wont be right. What wont be right about it? Just curious because I have heard this a lot but never heard why.

9. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion

For all of the above statements, it depends on your insurance policy. I had a 2004 WRX with Progressive Insurance that was hit. The estimate ended up at 86% of the value of the car and it was not totaled.

The body shop will go for used parts when repairing to keep the estimate down going back to the insurance company. I think it may be less of a cost to the insurance company to stay away from totaling a vehicle, and getting used parts is a way to do this.

And speaking of using not-new parts, you can almost bet that they'll be using ebay specials for your tail lights and they will fog up.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    SCTacomaCA

Member:
    Most of the parts they are using aside from the bed and bumper are listed as new oem. The only things I see as aftermarket are some parts for the bumper and some reinforcments parts ($162.00 total)

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    TRD Dude

TRD Dude Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Crestview, FL
    Truck might have been $33k new on the lot but that isnt what it was worth at the time of the accident

12. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Huh?

13. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    Shaunsquatch

Shaunsquatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra
    Guy that hit you was drunk? It seems to me you can make his insurance company fix it the way you want. If your state allows it you can get an extra check for "diminished value" as well.

Google "auto insurance diminished value"

14. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Hmmm im currently selling my Indigo ink bed and bedsides to a place that sells them to body shops... still shitty if i where in your situation id want new parts.

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    SCTacomaCA

Member:
    The bed and bumper are the majority of the parts. Out of the rest of the parts most are listed as new/oem.

Clear now?

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Remember the bumper and tow hitch are rigidly connected to the frame. If both have been displaced so severely at such an angle, the frame surely has been tweaked. The repair shop will not be able to pull the frame straight to new-vehicle specs.

17. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    Also OP... judging by the first picture your bed looks like it might have come in contact with the cab. If that is the case there is more damage than you are being told. Also, I would have them check all the suspension components because that looks awfully close to the leaf springs and shock. Also, probably need to check the mounts for the gas tank since those are connected to the frame, and that big of shock could have jolted those loose/broken them.

18. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    SCTacomaCA

Member:
    The shop is saying it was a strange impact, most likely because the truck that hit me was lifted. They said most of the impact was directly to the bed, and that the frame damage was minimal. The tow hitch actually looked pretty straight.
    The bed did hit the cab, it looked pretty minor.

They took the bed off before sending the estimate so I assume any damage to the gas tank mounts and suspension was caught.

The shop also said they gaurantee the work and parts for as long as I own the truck

19. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    My truck had 14K in damage from a deer. All new OEM Toyota parts were used and it still took them a few tries to get everything lined up correctly. Not sure if it would be worse with used parts... Still love my truck either way.

20. Aug 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    new OEM parts or used parts wont matter come trade in time...the carfax report WILL matter

trade it TODAY. yes today, in the condition it is in. you will save a lot of time & greif. btdt.

Products Discussed in

To Top