Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealer Oil Change

Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
totallywhite is on a distinguished road
Name: steve
totallywhite's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer Oil Change

OK,I just got back from the Toyota dealer and looked closely at the invoice.
A few things jump out and scare the fuck out of me.I have a 2010 4.0 liter v6 and not only did they put in 5W-20 instead of the owners manual recommendation of 5W30,the invoice says they put in 8 quarts!!What the fuck!I checked my other invoices from the same dealership and sure enough they have been using 5W-20.Isn't that for the 2.7 liter?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 qts of 5w30 with new filter. end of convo.

most dealers can not be trusted.

fact.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer probably used a couple quarts of fresh to flush the oil path before closing it up and filling.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
I just called the dealer and I am waiting on a call back from the service advisor.The guy who answered the phone gave me some bullshit story about them not being able to put in the correct tabs into their computer,so they put in the correct amount but it will not show that on the invoice.Sounds fishy to me.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
One quick thing I forgot to mention was that it was one of those free oil changes from Toyota Care.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallywhite View Post
One quick thing I forgot to mention was that it was one of those free oil changes from Toyota Care.

read this for some insight into free oil changes and horror stories http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post864287
Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm due a few on my new 2012...as I was on my 2010...

like the 2010, I'll probably pass and do it myself.

any trip to the dealership service dept avoided is worth more in piece of mind then the cost of an oil change.

This time, I may go there and ask for the filters anyhow. I know their oil is in bulk drums, so that's not happening. but you'd think they would give up the filters? probably not...some BS line they will feed me. bastards.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I'm due a few on my new 2012...as I was on my 2010...

like the 2010, I'll probably pass and do it myself.

any trip to the dealership service dept avoided is worth more in piece of mind then the cost of an oil change.

This time, I may go there and ask for the filters anyhow. I know their oil is in bulk drums, so that's not happening. but you'd think they would give up the filters? probably not...some BS line they will feed me. bastards.
They won't give you anything, they bill for Toyota Care by invoice.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
These stories scare the chit out of me. Luckily I know a guy at the local dealer so my 2012 will be well taken care of.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of dealerships will add a few quarts to the invoice to be able to charge more money...completly normal shady business practice. If you think that's bad wait till ya need your gear oils changed!!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Any long term damage or premature wear by not using the OWNERS MANUAL and TOYOTAS recommended oil viscosity?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
I come from a long line of Conga dancers.
Natetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to all

Name: Nate
Natetroknot's Tacoma Gallery
how's the level look on the dipstick?

check that 1st. then head out to buy 5.5 qts of oil. drain your motor and measure what comes out. arm yourself with info and proof or the dealer ain't gonna help ya.

or else you could just read horror stories on this forum and wonder for the next couple of months.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
They won't give you anything, they bill for Toyota Care by invoice.
probably correct

but, there is no reason they couldn't give me the filters. they are gonna give them to me anyway.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Free oil change.
Padding the bill to company that pays for Toyota care?
Kinda like mystery charges from doc offices to insurance companies.
Once I had a shit load of things pop up on a collision repair bill to the insurance company.
AC component replacing for a car that never had AC for one thing.
Fucking sleazy shop.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any long term damage or premature wear by not using the OWNERS MANUAL and TOYOTAS recommended oil viscosity?

Yes, but thats a 2 part question. Using gear oil in your engine is no good, but slight variances in viscosity by region is always the norm.

I'm in the NE and always run 5w-30. I literally put that shit in everything from my truck to my weed wacker.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Amazing . People need to legally be punched . Good eye op . Go in there calmly and ream them mentally .
Old 08-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
I checked the dipstick and it's just a tad above the full line.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
I just got off the phone with GO Toyota in Centennial and the service advisor told ne that they always use the 5W20 for their tacomas here in Colorado.He also said a tad just above the full line is fine and if I wanted to bring it in tomorrow and have them look at it.He also wanted to speak with his tech who did the oil change,but he has left and won't be back until tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Super Jesus
tacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoman00's Tacoma Gallery
i do it myself! duhh is there any other way?