Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shell Spec Question? Please Help

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
tahoetacoma is on a distinguished road

tahoetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Shell Spec Question? Please Help

I'm in the prototyping stage of a product that uses the factory tacoma bedrail system. I want to make sure the product will work with all trucks, including those with shells. For those of you with shells I am looking for a few measurements.

I have a Snugtop Supersport Shell and both X and Y are roughly 1/4". If those with shells wouldn't mind taking 2 minutes to take those 2 measurements and post them along with the shell manufacturer it would be a great help. The more brands and models the better: ARE, LEER, VISION, etc....

If the diagram is confusing im looking for the distance the shell overhangs the bedrail. Heres a picture of my snugtop shell lip and the bedrail.

I no LEER for example has a much greater overhang then my snugtop. A little help would be amazing, I no a lot of you have shells.

Thank you, please let me know if the diagram isn't clear enough.

Matt
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Leer 100RCC

X = 1/2" along the main rail , 1 1/8" where the mounting bolts are
Y = 1/2"
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My snugtop rebel is the same as your super sport. Do you want to know the front too?? Its a bit different.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
My snugtop rebel is the same as your super sport. Do you want to know the front too?? Its a bit different.
Yes the front would be very helpful, my snugtop supersport lip nearest the cab (front) doesn't hang over.

Thank you everyone for the help, i'll take all the info I can get. Hope the diagram isn't to hard to understand. The product is currently top secret, but as soon as I'm past the prototype stage everyone on taco world will be the first to see it.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My Leer 100RCC overhangs at the front of bed , I'll measure that for you in a sec
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
What about those of us that have tonneau covers that can still utilize the bed rails...we don't get to play?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
What about those of us that have tonneau covers that can still utilize the bed rails...we don't get to play?
hahaha,Once marketed if the product is popular I will make some changes for a tonneau cover version

Thanks OZ-T
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't protrude into the bed hardly at all, like <1/16". But it sits above the rail by about a half inch.
Y= 1/2"
X=<1/16"
Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry OP , I got sidetracked

Here is the front overhang on my Leer 100RCC , it comes down to the top of the bed rail and overhangs it by approx 1/2"

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
www.salexorganizers.com
salex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Todd
salex's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Snugtop Rebel - not straight

My 2012 Snugtop Rebel uses the rail system for mounting. The shell has bulges in 3 places on each side and a bolt/clip goes through the shell into the rail system. I don't have carpet headliner so you can see it well.

Any clues on what this prototype is?
Attached Thumbnails
Shell Spec Question? Please Help-p1010067.jpg   Shell Spec Question? Please Help-p1010068.jpg   Shell Spec Question? Please Help-p1010069.jpg