1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifts as an option?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ZonKs, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs [OP] Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Ive noticed that my prerunner V6 TRD has less of a lift than some of the other brand new Prerunners that I pass on the FWY. Do some of them come with a bigger lift off the lot?

Ted

2. Aug 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    They should all come the same from the factory. Maybe you saw some Tacos with aftermarket or dealer installed lifts?

3. Aug 2, 2007 at 6:10 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    This is actually something i'm confused about. When i was looking into lifts, i called the dealership to ask if i bought it online if they would install it for me so i wouldn't have to worry about my warranty. they said no. So i asked if Toyota offered a lift that i could buy and have installed to keep my warranty. once again they said no, and that toyota recomends against lifting their trucks since they were not designed that way originally and it can damage components. i called three dealers in my area and got the EXACT same answer from all of them, "we dont sell lifts, we dont install lifts and we dont recomend that you lift your truck"

Well last week i took my truck up to have the headlight assembly replaced and just walked around the lot to pass the time. I saw a brand new 2007 silver Taco TRD off road 4x4, and what did it have? A bull bar, huge chrome rims, massive mudding tires (not trail tires but mudding tires) and...... a lift, a large lift too. I'm not sure how big but despite the big rims and tires it still had plenty of clearance. so i'm pretty sure it was over 3" but not sure if it was 6". anyway, this was a brand new truck with 0 milage and no previous owner. Where did the lift come from? who installed it? does this mean when it's sold certain componants won't be covered under warranty? Anyway, it's just irritating to hear a service guy say, "we dont recomend lifting our trucks since they werent designed that way and it could damage them" and then going out onto the lot and seeing a truck specifically rigged for off-road use. I assume it was a floor model or show model from somewhere that got shipped to them but still, it BS if you ask me.

4. Aug 2, 2007 at 8:20 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Many dealerships will have custom shops (not associated with the dealer) install things that the service department might not recommend or even work on.

Bull Bars, Lifts, DVD setups, Drop Kits, Air Suspension Systems, etc... (I even saw a F-350 with a Jacuzzi in the bed once :eek:) - these are all things to show that you can do all sorts of things with your vehicle. It is publicity and bragging rights for the shop that did the work. It is an overpriced sale for the dealership. It is a completely unique vehicle for the person that buys it.

The bad news, the service department and the custom shop will blame each other when something goes wrong. Then it becomes a big PITA! :frusty:

5. Aug 2, 2007 at 10:06 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, i dont think i would buy a brand new vehicle that had been modified like that..... except for the jacuzzi thing, i would do that in a heartbeat

6. Aug 2, 2007 at 5:04 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs [OP] Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    The trucks im talking about all seem to be plain jane except for what appears to be at least a 3" lift. They look pretty nice. And now ill have to add that to the long list of modifications that im planning on for this truck.

On a related note, I was browsing the internet pricing out lift packages. Ive heard that Fabtechs are the way to go, but I had no idea they were so expensive. Maby im missing something here but I saw them for around $2500. Please tell me I made a mistake:eek:.

Ted

7. Aug 3, 2007 at 3:57 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    NDCouch, I got my lift from the dearlership (it's Toyota of Visalia). Lift will not void your warranty. If something goes wrong, and it was the lift that cause it, they won't fix but if not then its under warranty.

8. Aug 3, 2007 at 4:21 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    i saw the same thing today. ft myers toyota. 2 of them, 07s. 0 miles. they had the revtek front coil overs. and i think an aal in the rear. they were sweet. dealers are making room for the 08's. there was a tundra there to with like a 6" lift. nice little add on

9. Aug 6, 2007 at 6:27 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, i'm aware it wont void the whole warranty but i know if something breaks they will try to blame it on any aftermarket mods. I wish i could find a dealership that would lift my truck, i'd just feel more comfortable that way. i think im just gonna end up doing it myself though.

Products Discussed in

To Top