Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Supercharger / Baja CA ?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah310 View Post
So I've Always daydreamed of having a bit more power for my double cab 4x4 2010 v6 Tacoma. I've read a ton of good things about the Trd supercharger and if money wasn't a concern I think I'd pull the trigger. My only concern is the fact that they suggest you run higher octane gas - not so much for the extra cost but more for my trips down to baja mex where availability of premium fuel is somewhat unreliable. It would be a shame to outfit my Tacoma only to have it be limited to areas with reliable availability of premium gas.

That being said I was cruising the web and found an article stating that the trd supercharger can run on 87 if needed. " For safety’s sake, the engine map developed for the supercharger will allow the engine to run on 87 octane, but the power output will suffer as the ECU retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation." see this article http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/feat...ercharger.html

Has anybody who has a thentrd supercharge run into a situation where they've had to use 87 octane? Does the engine still run okay? Would you knowing go on a trip where premium gas might not be available (baja)???

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

just carry some cans of Booster, they are small.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Do the cartels attack Americans? Thought it was mostly cartel-cartel violence.
I've heard of multiple kidnapping cases of Americans

The last I heard one of my coworkers at the time lost a brother to them they tortured him with a blow torch in the "private area" then slit his throat

The one before that they tied him to a tree and left him there for days with no food or water the family paid and he was released he said when they dragged him out of there all he saw where other people tied to trees in random spots

Sorry for the off topic
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
Jah310 is on a distinguished road

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback on Baja - well aware of the troubles there. Have a few family friends that live in Baja. Definalty less than ideal.

But that is beside the point, what I'm really getting at is can you run a supercharged 2010 Tacoma on 87 pump gas? The Toyota bulletin I reference in my original post alludes to it not being a problem but I want to hear from folks who had experience doing running non premium gas.

Much apperciated.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on Baja - well aware of the troubles there. Have a few family friends that live in Baja. Definalty less than ideal.

But that is beside the point, what I'm really getting at is can you run a supercharged 2010 Tacoma on 87 pump gas? The Toyota bulletin I reference in my original post alludes to it not being a problem but I want to hear from folks who had experience doing running non premium gas.

Much apperciated.
Like I said earlier, zip tie the actuator open and you'll be absolutely fine. I've done it on my s/c without any pinging and I'm running a smaller pulley.
And like many have said, keep a few bottles of octane booster or bring your own gas.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #25

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Like I said earlier, zip tie the actuator open and you'll be absolutely fine. I've done it on my s/c without any pinging and I'm running a smaller pulley.
And like many have said, keep a few bottles of octane booster or bring your own gas.
Awesome... You think you could snap a picture of the actuator your talking about? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks man.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome... You think you could snap a picture of the actuator your talking about? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks man.

Here's the one on my truck. Obviously I have a first gen tacoma and the supercharger is slightly different for the second gens. For your truck, the actuator is on the back side of the supercharger (towards the firewall) and sideways. Essentially you'd zip tie it the way it sits at idle (which would be under vacuum). Under boost, the boost pressure from the supercharger will funnel through the vacuum line and push on the actuator. The actuator will close a valve in the s/c and boosts all pressure to the engine. By zip tieing it open, air will recirculate and prevent all the boost from going into the engine.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
netman1969 will become famous soon enoughnetman1969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Air Force Security Police NCO
Name: Dave
netman1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to netman1969
Ok, let me ask a more basic question on the TRD Supercharger.... is it worth the money? My taco spends 90% of its time taking me back and forth to work. The other 10% is moderate off roading, and once a month or so towing our travel trailer. I have yet to feel like I was lacking power for anything, but coming out of a twin turbo BMW 335i, I certainly miss the giddy up and go. I have never driven or been in a SC Taco, so I am not sure if I am missing anything dramatic or not. Other than "cool" factor, do I have a good reason to spend $5K on a supercharger?

-Smitty
Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #28

Jah310's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Here's the one on my truck. Obviously I have a first gen tacoma and the supercharger is slightly different for the second gens. For your truck, the actuator is on the back side of the supercharger (towards the firewall) and sideways. Essentially you'd zip tie it the way it sits at idle (which would be under vacuum). Under boost, the boost pressure from the supercharger will funnel through the vacuum line and push on the actuator. The actuator will close a valve in the s/c and boosts all pressure to the engine. By zip tieing it open, air will recirculate and prevent all the boost from going into the engine.

Awesome man - thanks. Appreciate the help. If when I get a sc I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Much apperciated.
I have the TRD S/C and yes I have ran regular and mid grade in it. The important thing is to not get into the boost heavy. I wouldnt go above 2500 rpms if avoidable and definately nothing about 3000.

NOTE: That picture above is not from a 2nd gen supercharger. That valve is not in the same spot on the 2nd gen, if its even on there.